myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bipbip wrote:
ALERT update:
"Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that the State is moving forward and preparing to install three sets of swim zone buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become a exclusive swim only zones. This represents a huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment. The DLNR has already built the buoys and plans to install them.
Immediate action is needed defer the installation of these buoys, until a better management plan can be reached.
Concerned people should contact the authorities to try to persuade then to defer the buoy installation, and amend the management plan.
"
http://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use

the full quote..

Update from November 16

Mr Ed Underwood from DLNR-DOBOR just confirmed that they are moving forward and preparing to install three sets of buoys at Kanaha Beach. These buoys will designate the expanded zones that will exclude all vessels and watercraft. This includes; kites, canoes, windsurfers, surfers, SUP etc. The expanded zone includes about three thousand five hundred (3500) feet of shoreline that will become an exclusive swim zone. This represents an huge increase over the currently used areas. Now any vessel or craft that attempts to enter or cross these expanded zones will be subject to increased enforcement which includes; fines and possible confiscation of equipment.

>> Mr Underwood also confirmed that this enforcement action is in direct response to the confrontations between the kiteboarder and the swimmers at Ka’a point. <<

He also stated that there are currently no plans to update or amend the old rules, that are about to be enforced.
The DLNR-DOBOR confirmed that they have already built the marker buoys and anchor systems, and plan to install them very soon.
We anticipate that once these buoys are installed and the old zones are enforced, that it will become an extremely difficult task trying to reverse this process at a later time.
Please don’t let this catastrophic loss of access occur, everyone will be affected because all of the current users will be forced to crowd into a reduced area that is far smaller than the currently accesible area. This will create a domino effect of overlapping user groups that will be forced to move into each others areas.
Every concerned person should take immediate action to contact the authorities and try to persuede them to defer the installment of these buoys until a reasonable and updated management plan can be reached.

http://www.continentseven.com/2013/11/16/save-kanaha-hawaii/

TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...thanks w8n4wind.

I would like to point out that this matter is not only related to water access, or kiters specific challenges, but more generally to the use of public spaces on the island and everywhere.
I believe that the use of recreational space should be uninhibited to the degree that it is safe and reasonable. On the mainland overblown fears of injury and litigiousness are driving people to search for their entertainment exclusively indoors, in television and video games.

The specific Kanaha situation is related also to the different background and inside connections the park users have: sailors and boaters are perceived as visitors ("aliens" if you want), and many surely are to some degree (but if you go back enough even islanders came to the island), and with little connections. While locals (whatever that means) believe they have a inborn right to the land (especially the "public" one, since the private one has been so neatly taken away from them), and know when to trumpet their status to support their maybe sometimes unwarranted points of view.

Only Aloha spirit and common sense (more than Common Law) can solve situations like that, because wrongdoings foster only more animosity. (I can envision a petition to remove the so-called "campground", which is a tolerated but unregulated appropriation and use of airport land, where a lot of illegal drinking goes on...). Where does it end?

As it often happens in society, we either all win, or we all loose.

PS: again, this thread needs to be visible and high up here: http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1
SAS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the petition, I recommend contacting our legislators directly. Those of us who live here on Maui should definitely write these representatives. Let them know you live here and you want these swim zones revised.

Those of you who don't live here, but who travel here, spending your good money here, should also write and let the legislators know that you could choose to go elsewhere and spend your money elsewhere.

You should all encourage changing swim zones to recognize that windsurfing and kitesurfing have become popular after these zones were established, and that Kanaha Beach Park has unique conditions that make it a world famous spot for these sports. You should encourage compromise, providing swim zones in some areas without impairing access. Please be polite.

Here are the email addresses of all of our Maui legislators. You can easily copy and paste this list:

senbaker@capitol.hawaii.gov; senenglish@capitol.hawaii.gov; senkeithagaran@capitol.hawaii.gov; repwoodson@capitol.hawaii.gov; repcarroll@capitol.hawaii.gov; reping@capitol.hawaii.gov; repmckelvey@capitol.hawaii.gov; repsouki@capitol.hawaii.gov; repyamashita@capitol.hawaii.gov

Also, please contact the governor too. I don't have his email address but here is his online contact page:

http://governor.hawaii.gov/forms/contact/
colossus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe start a collection and hire a politically connected lawyer?
SAS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure a lawyer can do much, since this doesn't seem to be a matter for the courts. It is a matter for the government, so once again I encourage you to use my links above and send emails to our representatives.

thank you
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasussman wrote:
It is a matter for the government

And the Chamber of Commerce, one would think (see one of the other threads on this topic.)
colossus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasussman wrote:
I'm not sure a lawyer can do much, since this doesn't seem to be a matter for the courts. It is a matter for the government, so once again I encourage you to use my links above and send emails to our representatives.

thank you

I think elected officials are likely view this as a local issue only and the reality is that money grants access to interests that do not vote. Lawyer's accept direct payments and are very influential in HI. Maybe a plan B.
SAS

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanaha is a state park, hence my focus on state officials who represent Maui.

I can't deny lawyers can have contacts, but if they are to get change, it has to be through the state government. And I agree multiple methods to approach this issue can be useful.

As to isobars recommendation to use the Chamber of Commerce, I'm open to all avenues. That being said, the Chamber of Commerce is not the most influential organization in Hawaii. Although it denies being a Republican organization, they always back Republican views and more importantly candidates. Hawaii has a Senate with only one Republican, a House with something like 7 Republicans out of 51 total, and a Democratic governor (one vocally opposed by our local Chamber of Commerce during the election). It's hard for me to imagine the Chamber of Commerce has too many "ins" in our government.

The online petition has nearly 3000 signatures. If just 10% of these people email the legislature and the governor, that would mean 100's of emails, something these representatives would find difficult to ignore.

So once again, please see my post above and use the email addresses in it to write the legislators.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So based on the map with the three designated swim zones, it seems like there would be plenty of room for everyone (both kiters, windsurfers, and swimmers). Am I missing something?
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will cram all the others besides swimmers into a small area big enough to string out two kites.
The rest of the shoreline is inaccessible or part of the swim zone.
On a busy day about two hundred windsurfers and kiters launch from a beach over three thousand feet long. They will continue to do so unless thirty or forty lifeguards stand 100 ft apart to stop us.

They have seized gear in the past at Hookipa from tourists and found themselves losing in court with the gear rental agency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: