myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Odds board delams after flying with vent in
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyrosse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Odds board delams after flying with vent in Reply with quote

Needs some odds. Anyone ever left vent screw in on plane and nothing bad ever happened to board? Or if you've done this and your board delam'ed, how much sailing time did you get before it delam'ed?

This is a relatively new board that definitely never took on water. Only forgot to take out vent plug on one flight--Maui to SF.

Thanks.
shredley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that on a board also but it was a low volume board, haven't noticed any problems at all. If it hasn't already delamed you probably will be ok. Longboard surfboards fly on airplanes all the time with no vent. Anyway I'm almost certain the baggage hold is normally pressurized on modern planes, just not heated although the pressure would probably be less than sea level.

I think most of the delam problems are water turning to vapor inside a board. If you get water in a board don't let it get hot or fly with plug in!

I'd say your odds of a problem from this are %1

Good Luck
martyrosse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot...good to know...I looked at other vent screw forum threads and all seemed really concerned about flying with it screwed in and eventual resulting delamination. Obviously, better to be safe, but sounds like odds are good it'll be fine. The board has never taken on water and looks/feels fine right now. I have little experience traveling by air with gear, so I'm happy to hear this!
vbr1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a coin/washer and use the bounce test to see if the board shows any delam issues

Call Wyatt and he can tell you how that trick works
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ODDs, since the board companies say to take the plug out.

I say damage is more likely possible than probable.

The damage would have to be done, IF done ::by the atmospheric change if the cargo hold was partly or poorly unpressurized . Some cargo areas can support animal life,( heated and oxygen ) including humans , so entirely possible that no damage is present. I would think if its damaged it would show straight away.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have flown with boards many times and do not always remove the plugs.some customs don't even have them. Taking the plug in and out is more likely to damage the board in my view.
Eventually something gets in the threads or you forget, and water gets in the board. Putting your board in the water usually causes a slight vacuum inside from the air cooling down, so water is sucked in.
The only delam of this type I have seen was a board with a bit of water in it that Clark had in his car when he went up the hill to snowboard at the Gorge one summer.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, if it delamed, you would notice it right when you first pulled it out of the bag, either seeing a large blister somewhere on it, or a soft spot where there was none before.
I believe that the plugs are more important for preventing overheating delams than anything else.
When we get heat waves, and my boards are locked inside my van that can easily get over 100* inside, I make sure the plugs are loose.
I've seen more delams for that reason, more than anything else, outside of use that is.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different materials in boards , don't need plugs.

the heat statement above I think is the best reason to remove them.

I cant really see forgetting to install the plug anymore than a fin.

airwave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure or heat can cause delams. Period. The results may or may not be noticeable. The delam could occur under pads. around footstraps, on rails, or on the bottom. They can be a mere separation of the laminates and not show any structural damage until the pressure of jumping or pounding has taken its toll.

Boards that do not have plugs are usually made of closed cell foam and polyester resins that do not expand with heat and pressure and do not take on water. Boards with plugs use foams that expand and contract and take on water. Therefore boards like surfboards do not need venting unless they are epoxy boards rather than poly boards.

I use Chinook two bolt base plates with removable universal joints. At the end of ever session I take out the vent plug and put it into the baseplate hole that is intended for the universal (threaded side up). Once the plate pins are closed the bolt cannot fall out or be lost. And until you remove the vent plug, to put it in the board, it is impossible to mount the universal to the baseplate, because the plug will be in the way. Therefore you cannot go sailing until you deal with the vent plug.

This makes it all but impossible to ever forget to tighten the vent plug before a sailing session.

Try it and you will never have a heat or pressure delam concern again and you will never take on water again, unless it is from some other failure than forgetting to tighten the vent.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on all the above & use the Chinook for storage as well !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: