myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winds in LA - need information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we're pretty blessed up here. 1.5 hours is about the farthest we would have to drive if a closer launch isn't happening. that's a normal daily work commute for a lot of la area residents.

you could probably make it to sherman island in 4 hours or less depending on where you start from in the la area. that drive goes pretty quick and the wind is pretty consistent during the season.

no comparison to a weekend drive to slopes, in the snow, chains, wet, cold, no place to stay, $100 lift tickets, long lines for everything, good possibility of road closures.

i gave it up that sport the first time i was able to do it during the week.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA has its good years. Not much wind for the last few years though.

When I was a young lad in the 1980's I sailed 4 days a week in spring and summer and at least 1 day per week fall and winter. Not gonna lie. Lucky to get half that today. (said in a very old mans wavering voice)

Sooner or later we'll get a good couple of years of surf and wind.
Diman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

When I was a young lad in the 1980's I sailed 4 days a week in spring and summer and at least 1 day per week fall and winter. Not gonna lie. Lucky to get half that today. (said in a very old mans wavering voice)

May be that's because you increased your skills level? I used to sail a lot with 7.0 but got bored one day... Of course it's good to go out with 7.0 when there is little wind for a long time, but does it worth having such a rig (with the known prices for boards and sails)?

But, as I said, I think that dudes in LA are lucky, cause if there is little wind you can always just grab a surf board a ride some nice waves while waiting for a real wind))
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diman wrote:
stevenbard wrote:

May be that's because you increased your skills level? I used to sail a lot with 7.0 but got bored one day... Of course it's good to go out with 7.0 when there is little wind for a long time, but does it worth having such a rig (with the known prices for boards and sails)?

But, as I said, I think that dudes in LA are lucky, cause if there is little wind you can always just grab a surf board a ride some nice waves while waiting for a real wind))

I'm lucky I weigh 63kg Very Happy I literally got maybe 4 days a week this season using a mix between my 7.5 and a friends 8.4 Very Happy The start of the 2013 season was strong with a few days in the middle of the season that was unforgettable. I usually sail a 6.6 between 17-23kts and remember being overpowered BIG time on a 5.2 several times in April. Good times...

victor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw a guy out today planing on big gear. it couldn't have been blowing more than 12 MPH.

i see him a lot. he gets at least 3 x the sailing that anybody else does. boards on top of his car all year long.
Diman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way (a bit off topic but still) is it possible in LA area to buy some used gear in good condition? I mean are there any "swaps" or "close-outs" or smth like that?
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diman wrote:
By the way (a bit off topic but still) is it possible in LA area to buy some used gear in good condition? I mean are there any "swaps" or "close-outs" or smth like that?

I believe you just missed a swap! You can check with the locals though to see if they got anything available. They always do!

jlederer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal Cabrillo day 12-22 average 15. If you are efficient you can get away with your 5.4 and 100 liter board. Wind here is gusty and holey. I use a 5.2 and a 99 freestyle board i am 170 lbs. Joe P.S. This is a one board two sail spot 95% of the time.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind in LA is definitely lighter than in SF Bay. I live up in San Francisco, but I grew up near Cabrillo, and I come home to visit family and to sail. I typically bring a 5.2 or 5.6 with a 100l freestyle board @ 180lbs.

I think if I lived down there, I would own a grunty 7.5 and 125l board also for the lighter days. Lake Isabella is a 2-3 hour drive depending on where you live, or you can head down to Punta San Carlos for some great wave sailing (about 12 hours).

Nice thing about the LA area is there a good number of spots that work on different wind patterns and that offer different water/wave conditions.

I've gotten really good days in LA on smaller gear too in the spring, and I've seen really great conditions line up at Leo Carrillo (still haven't sailed there despite trying).

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Isabella has by far the most consistient sailing in So Cal. It's about a 2 hour drive from LA. Camping right on the beach and lots of other sailors to give you the lay of the land.

Bring or borrow a tarp. The "sand" is more like tiny gravel. Normal summer winds usually pick up to about 20-25 around 10am with occasional 30+ nuke days. If you want to spend the night either camp or go to Kernville. The town of Lake Isabella is pretty awful, avoid unless you just need gas, ice, etc. Water is cold until the end of May, so a 4/3 wetsuit is needed. Winter sailing is cold and sporadic but can happen and will give you bragging rights and a Frizzies sticker courtesy of Eva, the Queen of the Lake. Pull into the first turnout, the Aux Dam, and follow the sailors if they're on the water or the gear on the beach if they're not. The Ghetto, further down, has bigger chop and is more B&J guys.

BIG DISCLAIMER! There's almost no water in the lake right now, so don't bother driving up. Last year we got skunked rain-wise and the water level is a good 20-30 feet lower than two years ago and 10' lower than last winter.

SIDE NOTE: If you're thinking about the Bay Area consider Lake Mohave. It's closer and can be epic in a surreal setting. Look for a Santa Ana wind forecast in Fall with north wind over 15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1svkugvF_A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: