myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Power box replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Power box replacement Reply with quote

My fin found a rock while sailing my Tabou rocket. Not much damage to the fin, but I think I may have damaged the box. Today I took a close look at it under bright sunlight wearing reading glasses and could see some chips in the roof of the box around where the bolt passes thru. There may possibly be a few hair line cracks as well in the roof of the box, the sides look ok. I have sailed the board a few times since the incident, and now I am seeing paint chipping on the bottom of the board in front of the box, so I am pretty sure I should replace it.

I might try this myself, but was wondering if there is anyone on Cape Cod doing repairs like this. If it's not over $150.00 I would be happy to pay a pro. Thanks for any suggestions!
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could look at it....and talk you thru it, I do have a spare box and divinycell

Probably not willing to do it as i have like 0.0 time lately

It simply may not be worth the effort unless the board is a 2014, and your all time favorite.....If the box is holding, it may be easier to seal it with a layer or two of glass

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you outcast! I am not sure if it does need to be replaced.

The paint chipping on the bottom I am seeing is I think from a weed fin that overhangs the bottom of the board, and it sort of looks worn rather than chips and is confined to the area immediately under the leading edge of the fin, so maybe I would see this anyway.

Since the box is surrounded by divinycell, which does not absorb water, maybe I could leave it alone. Board is an'08 I bought used.I do like the board and use it alot. If I keep sailing it, sooner or later I would notice other problems around the box if it's bad no?
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, easiest way to check would be to sail it, then let it cook in the sun...if you see all bubbly water etc, then you have larger issues.

pressing with your thumb is a plus/minus. that area should be pretty solid, but truly soft would be a problem too.

the screw on a powerbox goes thru a plastic chimmney shaft, whch comes off the main box, and then the top of the shaft gasses to the deck

unless you are dripping buckets, or the fin is all wiggly, i would just keep goin
pete1111

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:

Since the box is surrounded by divinycell, which does not absorb water, maybe I could leave it alone. Board is an'08 I bought used.I do like the board and use it alot. If I keep sailing it, sooner or later I would notice other problems around the box if it's bad no?

Most production boards don't have there boxes set in divinycell.Sand down area and lay over some glass just to be sure.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin feels rock solid in the box, so I'll keep sailing it, but keep an eye on it.

Thanks outcast, I really appreciate the advice.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks also to pete1111! I did not know that.

If worse comes to worst and the box needs replacement I guess there is no one that is doing this sort of thing here on a professional level? I have a router and good wood working skills, and could tackle the job myself, but would like to avoid this if possible.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you already did something like this, but if it were me, I'd stick the fin in the box, screw it down and then flip the board over and grab the fin and flex it hard (maybe even have someone hold the board steady) to see if there is any movement of the box or the board skin. If there is no movement and no visible fractures in the skin, I'd call it fine. You can also look down into the recesses in the deck for the fin screws to see if there are any fractures. The fin boxes are held in place at the bottom skin and at the bottom of the fin screw recesses, so if something gives, it's going to be in one of those locations. The boxes are pretty darn tough (I recall a few years ago running into a submerged object at speed where I thought the fin or the back of the board would be gone and the only damage was a small ding on the fin).

From the sound of your post, I'd bet its a non-issue. Sail it!

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the surrounding area will be a reinforcement of some type, probbaly more than one kind of closed cell, the PVC inside does nothing but provide a outline.

large finbox lower right, that looks like it was removed, was, a powerox

some type of heavier core was used to install the Rocket box, Divinycell may be used at Cobra, but some type of CORE is

http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp?Cc=COMPOSITE

above is the layers of the bottom, less than 1mm of fiberglass, then .5cm of 2 layers of core, one gray one red. The red material along with some more surround the box, seen a little in the powerbox hole.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the box is or does leak then you have more problems.

Have someone at least offer an opinion after seeing it.

BTW this box was a PITA to remove, came out fairly intact.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: