myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The google barge in San Francisco Bay
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: The google barge in San Francisco Bay Reply with quote

I hope the BCDC does not let this stay in the bay. Just imagine it blocking windsurfing access.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Google-barge-mystery-unfurled-4966375.php
mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periodically someone tries to buy an unpowered craft and moor it in the Bay for commercial purposes. Only historic structures like the aircraft carrier in Alameda are allowed to stay. But it is difficult to remove them. It takes a complicated process, and the politics are difficult. Google the Art Ship for the last time this played out.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an even bigger question is what is its purpose. Some paranoia exists about it being a center for gathering data of internet and cell phone users. Seems odd to me that it would be an "education facility" as Google described it. I see no purpose for an education facility in the middle of the bay, when plenty of commercial space is available and cheap in the city.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, did you miss the fact that the Google barge will be moved over time to different locations along the California coast?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should turn that into a "sail to only" cafe / restaurant / night club. Now THAT would be cool!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Bard, did you miss the fact that the Google barge will be moved over time to different locations along the California coast?

I saw that, but it is still slightly suspicious IMO.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Google-plans-floating-retail-store-builder-says-5026808.php

Google needs a permit from the regional Bay Conservation and Development Commission to moor a barge for any length of time in the bay, and the idea of a floating retail store could put the project in very choppy political water.

"A floating retail store that is not a bay-oriented enterprise would probably make a lot of jaws drop at a commission meeting," commission executive Larry Goldzband said when we told him of the newly surfaced Turner Construction document.

Although Google's lawyers have notified him three times in the past six weeks that it is continuing its barge construction at Treasure Island, Goldzband said, the company hasn't been forthcoming about its intentions.

"We have told them we don't want to wait a heck of a lot longer because ... the public needs to know what Google is doing," Goldzband said.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the BCDC approves this, they will loose all credibility.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riptide--have you read much about Brin? Interesting article in the last New Yorker about driverless cars and the evangelical world view they (Google Execs.) have about their company. Don't show me no stinking rules, I'm here to save the world! Bet against them getting a permit. Give odds.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard, I heard that's where they're storing all the ammunition being bought up by the dept of homeland security
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: