myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yargerd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a windsurfing clinic with Matt Pritchard. I went there with 24s. The first thing he said was, "Let's get you on some longer lines!" He recomended 28s or 30s, somewhere in there.

I made the switch to 28s, and love it. Honestly, sailing is more enjoyable as a result. I don't see a downside. I'm 5'11", 190 lbs, and run my boom high.

This video illustrates the principle nicely:

http://vimeo.com/5554953

Honestly, increasing my harness line length was the most valuable thing learned from the trip. For refernce, I am using modern Ezzys from 3.7 up to 5.8.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we've covered at great length in the past, the video's stance and reach and harness line lengths are just one option. My sleeve length is average (16-1/2 - 34 shirt size), and I simply can't reach the booms with harness lines that long unless locked into a dead straight line on flat water. Bruce Peterson uses shorter lines than I do.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having long lines makes slogging so much easier on the arms. Planing, I can use any length. Gorge sailing is planing 95% of the time. Maui wave sailing in the winter often has a lot of slogging. So I really see the benefit of long lines on Maui, much less so in the gorge. I keep going longer and longer on Maui, up to 28 now. I use 22 in the gorge.

My 2 cents on this issue.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't "get" how longer lines make schlogging easier, when I'm schlogging I'm standing upright not leaned way out over the side, so when I'm more upright I'm closer to the rig and can't even use my lines.
If I hook in and lean the rig over to leeward I'm spilling too much wind over the sail, can someone please elaborate?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If really slogging, as in barely moving, my sail is so upright that I can't hook in; the lines don't reach my hook. To hook in then comfortably, I need to lower the lines by either lengthening them, sliding them closer together on the boom, or lowering the boom. With longer lines ... anything near 30" ... I can just barely reach the boom when hooked in, leaving me no room for maneuvering.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I don't "get" how longer lines make schlogging easier,

Stand mostly upright, front foot up by the mast. Slightly lean back to keep from getting launched. With long lines you can be hooked in, take weight off the arms, and still keep the mast forward. For me at least.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC much has been said about line length and little about how high your harness hook is?? My lines are not long but my bar is very high and I'm hooked in as soon as I'm up and riding. Will lower de boom in light air and vice versa.

My way works for me and maybe not for others and will not insist it should.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
My way works for me and maybe not for others and will not insist it should.

What a concept!
bwill808

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can a world class sailer chime in on this, not all these old men gorge sailers who are stuck in there non sense ways for life.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwill808 wrote:
Can a world class sailer chime in on this, not all these old men gorge sailers who are stuck in there non sense ways for life.

He can chime all he wants, but who's going to listen to someone who starts out with an insult that also ignores facts, preferences, sailing styles, individual ergonomics, and at least one known world-class sailor who doesn't hide his identity and prefers much shorter lines?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: