myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail size advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a difference between 20YO gear for someone who has sailed a lot and someone who is learning, ( i would like to know how that sail remains in tip top shape as well)

A newer more forgiving sail with 15+ years of development towards being easier to use, sail, rig; for what 100 Bucks, and you can use it after a few hints and tips from our forum development personal for WHAT at least another 15+ years

I would suggest to fix what you can in the way of equipment, if this involves the sail, the harness, the harness lines, given we know nothing on the lines or harness.

I don't think you should be overpowered on a 5.5m sail, but then how strong is the wind ? The board itself would be at or close to its lower limit with a 5.5, all wound up.

Yes, the sail and mast bend curves should be compatible and its entirely possible that A part of the equation is a incorrectly rigged sail

Len, all aspects , equipment and ability and sailing venues will all factor into sailing . Where do you sail BTW ? Can you get some local help with your rig ?

you will read some testosterone and premenstrual posts , unfortunate.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the SanFranciscoBayArea.
Just 3 months ago, I picked up a BRAND NEW, never been sailed, 1997 Windwing 5.8, a maybe 5 day rigged Rushwind 5.5, and a brand new North Spectro 1996 5.5.
Lots of sailors here buy stuff and then never use it.
Don't believe me? I'd say, 90% of my sails are picked up for FREE.
Still don't believe me? Ask Windoggie, who dumped those sails off, and some new Windwings from 1992.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:
OP said he lost 50 lbs - has a wife and young daughter
at 135 lbs = really light weight and lucky in windsurf world !!!
at 220 lbs i am at the other end of the windsurf scale Sad
and non - this post is NOT about ME Smile

Lucky to be planning first but after that I think all the luck goes away...Wish I had a few more lbs for speed lol! Being taller would be nice too Sad

Last edited by KevinDo on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lent could you post a picture of your sail rigged up? That would be a good start.

-Kevin

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I live in the SanFranciscoBayArea.
Just 3 months ago, I picked up a BRAND NEW, never been sailed, 1997 Windwing 5.8, a maybe 5 day rigged Rushwind 5.5, and a brand new North Spectro 1996 5.5.
Lots of sailors here buy stuff and then never use it.
Don't believe me? I'd say, 90% of my sails are picked up for FREE.
Still don't believe me? Ask Windoggie, who dumped those sails off, and some new Windwings from 1992.

Good ,lucky you

Why dont you send one of those 5.5 5.5 5.8 sails to Len ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
lenthomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all if you are right. I have had trouble with rigging the AWOL. I even contacted hot sails Maui for some tips. Below the boom there is a very deep pocket. I have tried even a tremendous amount if out haul to try to flatten it. It seems I could benefit from a more recent and camless sail. Even if it is another 5.5. I think I am spending way too much time trying to rig instead of trying to sail. I do most of my sailing in Wilmington NC a little south of Hatteras. I have been told to try longer harness lines by a couple of people. Is there any recommendations on what length to begin with? You all have been so very helpful and I thank you so much .
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
I think all if you are right. I have had trouble with rigging the AWOL. I even contacted hot sails Maui for some tips. Below the boom there is a very deep pocket. I have tried even a tremendous amount if out haul to try to flatten it. It seems I could benefit from a more recent and camless sail. Even if it is another 5.5. I think I am spending way too much time trying to rig instead of trying to sail. I do most of my sailing in Wilmington NC a little south of Hatteras. I have been told to try longer harness lines by a couple of people. Is there any recommendations on what length to begin with? You all have been so very helpful and I thank you so much .

What about the downhaul?

I'd recommend just getting some adjustable lines from Chinook and play around with lengths. From my own experience, The chinooks are easy to adjust on the move but slip once in awhile. The Dakines are tough to adjust on the move but don't slip.

-Kevin

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenthomas wrote:
Below the boom there is a very deep pocket. I have tried even a tremendous amount if out haul to try to flatten it. ... I have been told to try longer harness lines by a couple of people. Is there any recommendations on what length to begin with?

Why flatten that marvelous pocket? That's what helps us plane earlier, by adding power at the lower wind ranges of a sail. It also puts the power where it should be except maybe in overhead waves: low. I LOVE sails with deep pockets below the booms as long as I'm not fighting huge gusts or trying to set top speed records. Talk about your "nice, comfortable sailing"!

Harness length has been debated at great length here. There is no consensus except that many pros like 'em long ... even after long lines' earliest and loudest pro advocate of them, Nevin Sayre, changed his mind. Many of us FAR prefer shorter lines than 28 or 30; I can't reach the booms hooked into 30" lines and my adult height has always been right at the U.S. men's average height. I prefer 26", but then what do I know? I've only been windsurfing obsessively since 1980. Fore'n'aft balance (positioning on the boom) is far more important than length, especially at your stage.

And I apologize deeply for responding to your quest for sail advice in your (or is it the Puffin's?) thread. I'm going to go out and shoot myself now in atonement.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, AWOL's were the shape of the future, but not the construction or design of the future.
Deep draft below the boom is a desired shape.
If you don't know how to tune a sail, don't blame the sail for being bad.
And if you don't know how to windsurf, don't judge the gear.
lenthomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I would embrace the deep pocket of the sail if I was performing at your level. And I'm sure I will will never perform at high levels. I'm just a 45 yr old guy trying to get back into the best sport in the world. All flat water sailing just for fun and good exercise and good friends is all I am striving for. It's the passion for the sport by the sailors themselves that makes windsurfing the best sport in the world. And that makes windsurfers the kindest and most helpful people in the world. And it's that same love for the sport that makes this forum a wonderful place to be. For me I'm going to look for a used 100 dollar 5.5-6.5 some longer harness lines and start shredding Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: