myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sail size advice
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: sail size advice Reply with quote

Hello, I would love some advice on choosing a sail size. I am 135 lbs and sail in mostly in 8 to 16 knot winds. My sail is a 5.5. I am returning to windsurfing after being away from it for some years. I am currently learning to use a harness but havent gotten it completely down yet and feeling really overpowered even with the 5.5. I have a 125 L board. I'm not looking to win any races or impress anyone. Just nice comfortable sailing. The sail sizes I am looking at are 3.2 3.7 4.2 and 4.5. Does anyone have a recommendation on which would be best without going too small? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, cheers, Len
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 5.5, the next sail for someone not wanting to collect tons of gear would be a 4.5.
With a 5.5, most guys your weight can handle close to 27mph winds, and start planing at around 15 mph, or 13 knots.
Since you don't have the necessary experience, plan on using the 4.5 when winds hit 17 mph, where you can get planing, but most guys your size will be grossly underpowered.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from zirtaeb, with an addition: Learn to rig properly, might be the cause of you feeling overpowered. Lots of videos out there.
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a split of 3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.5. The 4.2 is too close to a 4.5 to make any sense. Get the 4.7 first and wait on the smaller ones until later.

KMF
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at your weight, and a 125L board, which board BTW ?

a 5.5m sail would be the mid range
the board should support a 6.5m

and lower end , make that LOWEst end a 4.5m

the 3.2 3.7 and 4.2 IMO should be for a very much smaller board, esp for your weight

putting a small sail like that on a 125L board won't do much to maintain some control if its actually 3.2 wind.

a 4.5m that has a lot of range , would be the ticket.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
lenthomas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you advice. You all are great!! The board is an old fanatic ultra shark and the sail and old hot sails maui awol 5.5. It has a cam above and below the boom. Maybe as I learn to use the harness it will become easier. Do you think a sail without cams would make a difference? In my younger days of windsurfing I had an Equipe with a 9.0 and was blasting. But now I'm much older and 50 lbs lighter. Eventually I will will be able to get a wider more stable board with more volume. But right now can only afford to work on the rig. Is the key learning to use the harness? What sail size may help me achieve that? If I need to go smaller than 5.5 I have a wife that wants to learn and a daughter that will want to when she gets old enough, so it will not really be a waste. But first I have to get my own windsurfing mojo back Smile Thanks so much.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 sides to everything
I don't like cams. My experience is they are not worth the effort. They are probably critical to larger race sails, which I don't do.

So my 2¢ ­­

the harness together with the foot straps, which you don't mention are just parts of the learning curve, waterstarting would be another.

for all these a reasonable size sail to be powered up is needed. Too large or small will hamper the learning process. The 5.5 is a reasonable size.

lenthomas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sailing in the straps yet and not water starting yet, only up hauling if that helps. Do you think a something camless in the 5.0 to say 6.5 would help ? Thanks so much.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to sugar coat this.

I like Hot Sails, a lot.

The sail you have is from a bygone era. The sail may be holding you back.

The cam or camless discussion in this case may mean nothing.

at your weight a 7.0m sail would not be too large for the board. A move modern and user friendly sail, say a few years back would may things easier.

a 6.0 would be a nice size, or just replace the 5.5 with another 5.5, a newer 5.5 would be more powerful, and should have more range and adjustment, all things in you favor will help some.

What you need is something that you can handle/manage. But you will use later on as well so plan for the future sizes

The harness lines need to be in the correct location, balance wise, and length to suit, most now sail with longer lines. The lines are pretty much designed to sail in when powered up and close to planing and IN the straps for peak efficiency

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely with U2. The earlier comments you received are all good advice...if your 5.5 had been made more recently.

At your weight I'd start with a 6.0 or 6.5 camless...you'll get lots of planing time in your conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: