myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Oil and citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac, how come you haven't been posting the source of the materials you quote?
Not that I would expect any surprises, just wondering.
I always do and then let the source bashers have their way,,,,,,,,, with a comment from me from time to time, only because it gets ridiculous sometimes.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac,

It would be interesting to see the definition of what constitutes a reportable spill. Plus, did any of them have a negative environmental impact? The only real issue here.

Maybe just a lot of hot liberal air and meaningless numbers? Maybe not, but your post means absolutely nothing without "the rest of the story", which the media frequently doesn't offer.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--there are definitions under Federal law for what constitutes a "reportable spill". I know, I worked for a discharger and if I didn't report those spills I was the designated felon. Beyond that you can do your own homework.

About media--Baja has proved you wrong a hundred-fold on your views about bias.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the news is reporting about "small spills" without information defining what a small spill constitutes, they are just bowing smoke. Plus, if none of the spills damaged the environment, then I don't see much of an issue.

You are trying to make it an issue when there may be nothing to it.

I did spend some time looking for what the minimum amount of spilled crude oil is reportable, but I didn't find an answer. I guess it's out there, I just wasn't willing to keep searching more than 15 minutes.

If I am an oil producer and I tip over a drum of oil, I suspect that it may be a reportable spill. If I clean it up, then it just becomes another number in the media's hype about damaging the environment.

Look, I am opposed to spills of any kind, but let's stay honest about what a "spill" really is. Most probably amount to nothing, but some are significant and will be news worthy, but there are very, very few in this category.

Just report the "whole" story and not just what suits a particular agenda. This goes for both right and left news agencies.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno whines:
Quote:
you are trying to make it an issue when there may be nothing to it.

Two clicks to get this source. My google line was "What is the legal requirement for reporting oil spills"

http://epa.gov/OEM/docs/oil/spcc/SPCCFactsheetSpillReportingDec06.pdf

There are two questions here. One, did the oil spill do much damage? Two--did the oil companies and the state report the spills as they are legally required to do? Integrity is not something you put on and take off and ignore if you think it is no big deal. The fact is that the company operating the pipeline did not report 300 pipeline oil spills, despite the legal requirement--well known in the discharger arena--and then you rationalized it. Who is blowing smoke?

My point here is that the oil companies can't be trusted. Point made.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Whines" - typical of you mac. I guess it's not possible for you to exchange dialogue without demeaning language. I hope your self esteem is doing better - oops that may be considered demeaning too, so just ignore it.

Thanks, good start on the EPA site. Now what is the reporting requirement for land spills, which is what I was looking for.

And I get your point about your concern about oil companies, that's been clear for ages. My point was about the media and their reporting. Some consumers like to get the "whole" story about the large number of spills and incidents, which were not publically reported. The story makes it look pretty bleak, but if the "small" spills are really inconsequential, then just posting big numbers doesn't tell the "whole" story - my point. I just want more facts.

I think the general public would be interested in what constitutes a reportable spill. My argument was with the reporting, plus you posting it as support for your views. Since you frequently/always repudiate every conservative source that is posted, there is no reason why I can't question your source too.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, what do you think about all the negative spin and attacks coming from the extreme right about the mainstream media?

You know, 10 to 15 years ago, I don't remember that kind of questionable criticism and such patent scorn. In my view, the picture has been changing, and it's not for the good.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
"Whines" - typical of you mac.... Since you frequently/always repudiate every conservative source...

or outright refuse to read it before criticizing it, as he stated in our discussions early in the AGW threads.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
techno900, what do you think about all the negative spin and attacks coming from the extreme right about the mainstream media?

You know, 10 to 15 years ago, I don't remember that kind of questionable criticism and such patent scorn. In my view, the picture has been changing, and it's not for the good.

What do you think the negative spin and attacks from the extreme left about the conservative media (what little there is)?

mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--what is it about the oil companies breaking the reporting laws that you find acceptable, and are blaming on the media?

By the way, don't whine about how hard it is to find a source if you don't want to be ridiculed for something that is easy to find. Or at least ask for cheese and crackers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 24 of 81

Jump to: