myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The season never ends: Wind-SUP!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fanatic 9'6" all wave with now with a mast track. Reply with quote

Just a heads up on those single pin inserts.
They are failing after about a years use and the word.
from Stand up Zone is Cobra is redesigning them.
I got John Miller to install a mast track in mine.
Also I have found no source for the inserts aftermarket.
Phone seems like the best way to reach John Miller he said
there is a communication problem with his link in the buy/sell
section.
The failure mode is they spin with the screw stuck in them.

DSCF0043.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.44 KB
 Viewed:  16500 Time(s)

DSCF0043.JPG

DSCF0044.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  292.64 KB
 Viewed:  16500 Time(s)

DSCF0044.JPG

HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to windsurfing and forum. Learned two years ago on a Superlight and modern 6.3 rig. So much fun anytime and almost anywhere. Recently purchased a 10'6" Bic ace-tec wind and now windsurf waves in So. California quite often. The Bic windsup is super tough and light enough... I think. I have got it planing in 15 knots. No straps but great traction deck. Hope this review helps someone. If anyone is in the Long Beach Ca. area and wants to sail longboards "superlights" or Windsup a whole bunch of waves with this Advanced-Beginner email me at, socalsurfari@gmail.com. Best regards, Ryan
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

socalsurfari@gmail.com wrote:
New to windsurfing and forum. Learned two years ago on a Superlight and modern 6.3 rig. So much fun anytime and almost anywhere. Recently purchased a 10'6" Bic ace-tec wind and now windsurf waves in So. California quite often. The Bic windsup is super tough and light enough... I think. I have got it planing in 15 knots. No straps but great traction deck. Hope this review helps someone. If anyone is in the Long Beach Ca. area and wants to sail longboards "superlights" or Windsup a whole bunch of waves with this Advanced-Beginner email me at, socalsurfari@gmail.com. Best regards, Ryan

Which spot do you sail at it??

-Kevin

HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

-Kevin

Hey Kevin, I have sailed with you at Cabrillo 2 or 3 times. I drive the Grey Tundra with a SUP sticking out the back. You said I had it planning the last time I saw you at Cabrillo. You are the speed sailor with a KA sail. I use a 6.3 Ezzy. My one and only sail. Anyways I have recently been sailing with all the Kiteboards at Seal Beach (Rivers End) they have been pretty cool to me. Which is much appreciated. Having fun there. Today windsurfed the biggest waves yet in Huntington Beach (Goldenwest St.). Only 8 to 10 knots straight onshore with consistent 2 -4'. Lot's of chop but fun and super challenging. One kiteboarder near by which was fine. Catching waves with the power of the wind and a big board is intense to say the least. Just hope my mast track holds up. Anybody know the mast track quaility of Bic boards? I like this boards plastic shell. Board seems light and tuff.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:

-Kevin

Hey Kevin, I have sailed with you at Cabrillo 2 or 3 times. I drive the Grey Tundra with a SUP sticking out the back. You said I had it planning the last time I saw you at Cabrillo. You are the speed sailor with a KA sail. I use a 6.3 Ezzy. My one and only sail. Anyways I have recently been sailing with all the Kiteboards at Seal Beach (Rivers End) they have been pretty cool to me. Which is much appreciated. Having fun there. Today windsurfed the biggest waves yet in Huntington Beach (Goldenwest St.). Only 8 to 10 knots straight onshore with consistent 2 -4'. Lot's of chop but fun and super challenging. One kiteboarder near by which was fine. Catching waves with the power of the wind and a big board is intense to say the least. Just hope my mast track holds up. Anybody know the mast track quaility of Bic boards? I like this boards plastic shell. Board seems light and tuff.

I knew it! I was like that one guy has the bic board...
I was at River's End today but wasn't sailing. Saw a few kiteboarders going at it today. I'd say get some of the planning down at Cabrillo than when your ready get that "small" wave board and start ripping on those waves!

Shoot me a message (thru my site works) next time you had down to Cabrillo/River's End! There is a guy by the name of Bob down at Alamitos Bay who is interested in trying a wind sup. I was going to join him at Alamitos sometime next week; if you are open come join us!

-Kevin

Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fanatic 9'6" all wave with now with a mast track. Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
Just a heads up on those single pin inserts.
They are failing after about a years use and the word.
from Stand up Zone is Cobra is redesigning them.
I got John Miller to install a mast track in mine.
Also I have found no source for the inserts aftermarket.
Phone seems like the best way to reach John Miller he said
there is a communication problem with his link in the buy/sell
section.
The failure mode is they spin with the screw stuck in them.

Chuck, how much weight does your board gain after the mast track addition? I noticed that the 10'6" Bic ACE-TEC SUP Wind weighs 29 lb, which is 3 lbs more than the non-wind option as shown on the Bic official web page .....can't believe the mast track add that much weight.
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: I didn't put in on scales seems about the same. Reply with quote

I didn't put it on scales seems about the same.
Didn't really seem noticeable but this is not an ultra lite
board though not a boat anker either . I think its specked
at around 20lbs.
The track itself has no significant mass .
Also if I was buying a track I would get and 8 inch one on
a smaller board ,he happened to have a 10 inch in stock.
John said he added some divinicell around the box .(ala boardlady site technique) I imagine
most of the added weight comes from materials and epoxy.
Ok I weighed it it comes in a 23 to24 lbs on a bathroom scale
with the fins in. So maybe it gained a pound or two or it could just be and error in the scale . Also I didn't really measure it when I got it so I have no baseline data.
Spec on the allwave is listed a 22lbs I don't know if that is with fins
or not.
The BIC asa construction is a heavier material .
HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighed my 10'6" Bic ace tec wind with what I believe is an accurate scale. Shes a big girl weighing in at a whopping 32 lbs. Didn't weight it new. But it is only 2 months old. Hope it's dry inside. I am still liking it's durability. Have slammed my boom head on it hard with no pad and only left a big black stick mark like the ones football players get on they're helmets. Guess I am just trying to be positive about my purchase. Bic says it should weigh 29 lbs. the 11'6" with daggerboard is supposed to weigh 33 lbs. I have held the new multicolored 9'5" allwave and can say felt really really light. But @ 1400 clams I would be pissed off dinging it sailing in the surf or God forbid not able to screw in a universal after a year of use. Glad you got the track installed and are back in action. The Bic is not wood sandwich construction so I hope it doesn't snap when sub jamming over wave crests.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  480.29 KB
 Viewed:  16302 Time(s)

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  477.04 KB

image.jpg

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.99 KB

image.jpg

ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: All Wave seems pretty stong. Reply with quote

All Wave seems pretty stong.
I have bashed the boom into nose area multiple times trying to do
duck tacks where the rig floats around the front and hits the
nose with no visible damage.
Last two day have been nice at pleasure point/ 38th ave tiny but
workable waves might be better today. Nice sunny weather to.
I don't see how you could damage it in the surf. although there was
a guy on standupzone that showed one with a really big bottom fracture.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a catapult I busted the nose off the front of my SUP, now I have some serious armor, after a bit of experimenting I decided it was best to pad the boom and mast instead of the board. I use two boom pads and this ION mast pad which is really cool and hard to find. Padding the mast below the boom also has the desirable effect of reinforcing good technique gybing, it's near impossible to grab the mast. In the picture you can see an easy uphaul which worked pretty well in the beginning but then got stretched out and I couldn't get it to adjust right.
Protect that nice new board!

0330131649.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.06 MB
 Viewed:  16201 Time(s)

0330131649.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: