myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schwandler,

"growing mystery about your business" - I'm not one for mystery but given the TMZ style assumptions made (less the humour) about my barely legal / unethical business practices that is the case.

"weathering of the last 5 to 6 years of the Great Recession" - fortunately our economy has been stable and we did not experience the recession here that the US has had. Our last recession was in the late 80's / early 90's.

"I'm under the impression that you're a building contractor involved in an array of construction projects, many of which might be residential in nature."
- residential work and specializing in a niche in the renovation market.

"What I was wondering is whether you bill on a monthly basis as work progresses, based on agreed major milestones, or upon the final completion of the project." - Milestones. ie. 10% signing, 10% job commenced and equity in material / labour on job site, 20% framing completed, 20% mechanical systems roughed in, 20% drywall finished, 10% Trim and Paint and completed, 10% project finished to customer's statisfaction.

"is the customers responsible for the direct payment for materials as they are incurred?" - No. I price "turn key" finished project. I provide absolutely everything possible so that the process is hassle free for the customer. I quote with "per item" pricing as in every linear foot of wall, potlight toilet, square foot of floor....etc is price per unit (read 9 page spreadsheet / contract). No games or tricks, no animosity, no misunderstanding, everyone (myself, customer, my employess, subtrades) all know exactly what the scope of work is.

"Lastly, I was curious whether you are responsible for the architectural design and engineering phases of projects"- design yes, engineering when required is left to professional engineers.

"and if so, do you subcontract the work, or do you maintain your own in-house staff to do the work?" - a combination of both. In house we take care of framing, demo, insulation, millwork, cabinet making, paint, ...finishing. Subtrades: electrical, plumbing, drywall board, drywall taping, ceramic, other - if slow we are able to keep in house all but electrical and plumbing. If busy we frame, insulate, trim, cabinets and the rest is sub trades,
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Why would any fairly healthy person buy any health care insurance? It's cheaper to pay the penalty for not having it and wait until after they get hit by a bus or diagnosed with cancer to buy in.

As opposed to not having health insurance and not paying a penalty as they could have (and did in significant numbers) in the past?

Quote:
No wonder 85% of the enrollments are for Medicaid: Someone else is paying for it.

Pot, kettle, etc.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
Schwandler,

"growing mystery about your business" - I'm not one for mystery but given the TMZ style assumptions made (less the humour) about my barely legal / unethical business practices that is the case.

"weathering of the last 5 to 6 years of the Great Recession" - fortunately our economy has been stable and we did not experience the recession here that the US has had. Our last recession was in the late 80's / early 90's.

"I'm under the impression that you're a building contractor involved in an array of construction projects, many of which might be residential in nature."
- residential work and specializing in a niche in the renovation market.

"What I was wondering is whether you bill on a monthly basis as work progresses, based on agreed major milestones, or upon the final completion of the project." - Milestones. ie. 10% signing, 10% job commenced and equity in material / labour on job site, 20% framing completed, 20% mechanical systems roughed in, 20% drywall finished, 10% Trim and Paint and completed, 10% project finished to customer's statisfaction.

"is the customers responsible for the direct payment for materials as they are incurred?" - No. I price "turn key" finished project. I provide absolutely everything possible so that the process is hassle free for the customer. I quote with "per item" pricing as in every linear foot of wall, potlight toilet, square foot of floor....etc is price per unit (read 9 page spreadsheet / contract). No games or tricks, no animosity, no misunderstanding, everyone (myself, customer, my employess, subtrades) all know exactly what the scope of work is.

"Lastly, I was curious whether you are responsible for the architectural design and engineering phases of projects"- design yes, engineering when required is left to professional engineers.

"and if so, do you subcontract the work, or do you maintain your own in-house staff to do the work?" - a combination of both. In house we take care of framing, demo, insulation, millwork, cabinet making, paint, ...finishing. Subtrades: electrical, plumbing, drywall board, drywall taping, ceramic, other - if slow we are able to keep in house all but electrical and plumbing. If busy we frame, insulate, trim, cabinets and the rest is sub trades,

Reiner,

It's possible and likely that your personal success is in part due to the quality of your work. However, you don't seem to understand what we're arguing here: The ups-and-downs of industries as a whole.

There are no doubt a bunch of guys here who could give themselves well-deserved pats on the back in lengthy posts, but that does not further the argument, nor is it particularly interesting to read.

Yes, your industry is especially vulnerable to macroeconomic trends and disproportionally benefits from all sorts of Government intervention. Read Macs and Boggsman's post again with a little less defensiveness and attitude. There's something to learn here.

boggsman1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
Interesting! A guy goes to experience a humbling yet fun day of 40 knots rag doll WSing session only to find the usual assumptions of what I think, know, don't know, understand or don't understand (some even about my own country). You guys should go back and read what you've written. Perhaps a good WSing session could do everyone a little good. Auto attack mode or what?

You're a funny guy, I love Canucks. You have brought this upon yourself, Brah . The constant referencing of your success, hard work , don't have a degree, yada yada. And then you toss in your sports accomplishments for the day. Seems like your are trying to over compensate for something , I suggest some meditation. BTW- I rode downieville , surfed, and AB dove this weekend LOL .
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
isobars wrote:
Why would any fairly healthy person buy any health care insurance? It's cheaper to pay the penalty for not having it and wait until after they get hit by a bus or diagnosed with cancer to buy in.

1. As opposed to not having health insurance and not paying a penalty as they could have (and did in significant numbers) in the past?

Quote:
No wonder 85% of the enrollments are for Medicaid: Someone else is paying for it.

2. Pot, kettle, etc.

1. At least that was usually their choice until the federal government decreed otherwise.

2. ??? I paid and/or still pay for all my insurance policies. You have/had the same options I did ... until now.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:

Reiner,

It's possible and likely that your personal success is in part due to the quality of your work. However, you don't seem to understand what we're arguing here: The ups-and-downs of industries as a whole.

There are no doubt a bunch of guys here who could give themselves well-deserved pats on the back in lengthy posts, but that does not further the argument, nor is it particularly interesting to read.

Yes, your industry is especially vulnerable to macroeconomic trends and disproportionally benefits from all sorts of Government intervention. Read Macs and Boggsman's post again with a little less defensiveness and attitude. There's something to learn here.

Feuser,
The response that you are referring to was responding to Swchandler's questions about my business practices (see end of previous page) and was not intended as "well-deserved pat on the back...". I figured he must be in the process of hiring a contractor and had some concerns. I thought that I was helping him out by answering his questions. Swchandler, was this the case or am I incorrect?

With regards to my quesiton regarding an increase of sales I put that out there and wanted to see what sort of response I would get, and how it would be addressed. I was surprised and not surprised at the same time. I am familiar with government intervention in the economy. Our economy is very stable and has been for quite a while. I would say that is mostly due to government mandated conservative lending practices which recently became even more so. In a stable economy one can work some of "their own personal magic" and see the direct results of that magic. My increase in sales was due to something that I did. Our government "assisted" in creating in a good business environment and economy.

I read the posts by Mac and Boggsman and agree with what they have to say. I think I also read, "Just a little tidbit for RR." regarding CMHC which I was quite familiar with and probably more so than him considering I used to flip houses.

I also read the Boggsman's comment. I particularly enjoyed the "Genius" reference and noticed he used the word "than" where it should have been "then" Wink
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
You're a funny guy, I love Canucks. You have brought this upon yourself, Brah . The constant referencing of your success, hard work , don't have a degree, yada yada. And then you toss in your sports accomplishments for the day. Seems like your are trying to over compensate for something , I suggest some meditation. BTW- I rode downieville , surfed, and AB dove this weekend LOL .

Sounds like a fun weekend you had. I would agree with your comments. Perhaps I share too much of my personal life, but I don't try to do so to boast but the share my experiences. I guess it can be interpreted as such. It most certainly leaves me open for criticism. I find it interesting to know about the people involved in the exchange. Some on here have opened up and others are only here to criticize others without opening up about themselves at all. BTW I shared, "humbling yet fun day of 40 knots rag doll WSing session " that is not an accomplishment, but it is what I said it was, humbling. To be honest that day yeilded a huge walk of shame. I am an intermediate / advanced sailor at best and I'm sure many here would even argue that. My business does well considering but there are many I know who drawf my modest little business. I prefer to stay small for a reasons like WSing time, family and other interests / responsibilities.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR wants to rant against progressive taxes with a bunch of fake facts, and he hates it when we point out the fakery. One of his fake facts was that people would pass up raises because it would put them into a higher tax bracket and they would actually make less money. Uh, no. The next was that he saw no reason pay any higher taxes because he didn’t benefit or use government programs more than the poor. He asks:

Quote:
I have to ask do rich people utilize infrastructure on a personal basis 30 - 40% more than lower income earners?

Well, the middle class and the rich get benefits—direct subsidies and tax deductions—that aren’t available to the poor. In the United States there are tax subsidies available that allow you to deduct mortgage interest. That measure was supported by the construction and home selling arenas, and costs about $70 billion a year. It is true that Canadian law does not allow mortgage insurance to be deducted, so the likely subsidies for home ownership are probably less.

Now this doesn't mean that such deductions are a bad idea. The construction industry has been very good to the US economy, and we should have invested more in it as a stimulus. But the narrative that the government does no good for anybody but the poor, and that people are solely responsible for their own success is false. Those who do well in such circumstances are obviously better at business than those who do not. But it is also true that nobody built it on their own.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac,
Fake facts, or the experience my accountant sorted out with my employee?

The actual quote in it's entire context:
reinerehlers wrote:

I understand the moral obligation of welfare but I have to ask do rich people utilize infrastructure on a personal basis 30 - 40% more than lower income earners?
which was followed by :
reinerehlers wrote:
BTW: that last question was what my accountant asked. He claims to be a liberal.

You deduct mortgage insurance or interest? I thought in the US you were able to deduct the interest paid on the mortgage.

Since you are so readily available with the sharp criticism and have so much insight into other people's business. Tell us, how is it that you came upon your wealth? You did say that you were in the less than 1%, did you not. Please open up and share. I am curious. What is / was your professional work experience, education, etc? I'm all ears.

Perhaps you can also tell me what the government did to increase my sales. I'm curious to read your explanation in that matter. I'm not talking about the economic environment, but the how the government directly made this noticable increase happen for the business.
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
feuser wrote:
isobars wrote:

1. As opposed to not having health insurance and not paying a penalty as they could have (and did in significant numbers) in the past?

Quote:

2. Pot, kettle, etc.

1. At least that was usually their choice until the federal government decreed otherwise.

2. ??? I paid and/or still pay for all my insurance policies. You have/had the same options I did ... until now.

Funny, your killfile seems broken...

I still have the same choices for insurance. Except the premium increases are down from previous years. When it comes to the choice of not paying for insurance: fine - that choice is there, too, except I, the taxpayer, don't have to pick up the entire tab anymore, if one of these gamblers goes to the ER.

And since you do cash your federal check every month, it doesn't matter where exactly the money for your fleet of gorge boards or your health insurance comes from. I wish you all the best, but quit whining and biting the hand that feeds you - and fed you so very well in the past.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 94 of 201

Jump to: