myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona CarbOne Report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please do tell more. one of the best features of planing long boards for me is the lack of rigging concerns. in what ways? the wind range expands for any sail chosen. the tuning range as well.

planing long boards allow for a more minimalist approach to windsurfing. for boards, i believe all i need now is the carb-one 1 and an X-wave 111 for 95% of my sailing. and, on the carb-one, all i need is a 9.0, and 6.8 sail.

the fact that i have to use more sails on my X-wave 111 than my planing long board is an interesting testimony to this fact.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post disapeared... So again:

I am quite interested. Please share more. I would eventually like to know how you feel it compares to the Bic.

Do you feel the Carb1 is stiffer than the K1? When going fast on chop, the long K1 nose flexes and oscilates.

I am surprised you need less sail with the Carb1. The weight saving is not important compared to the overall rider-rig-board mass. Does the hull feel more efficient since it's rigid? Or maybe the reduced weight makes it more nimble and allows for more efficient board trimming?
bmoore98

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe -
We'll see how much I ride the BTF in the future. I've had some wonderful days in very light wind on it. I use a Deboichet R13 formula fin with up to a 10.5 sail and it is a ridiculously early planning board. I don't think the CarbOne will match that but I'll find out. I also have a carbon Equipe from the last or next to last year of production (higher volume, power box, carbon dagger). I've only used it as a regatta board. I will compare and report on these.

John -
I agree on the sail/board range. Many times I'll be sailing a short board with say a 7.0 then the wind comes up to where I'm overpowered. Instead of re-rigging I pull out the Kona and keep going with the same sail. All that mass tends to tame things down a bit. If I had to cut down to one board it would be a Kona, either carbon or K1 but now that I'm spoiled it better be carbon.

Sailboarder -
Yes I have also experienced the K1's nose flexing/oscillating when flying through the chop. After my first ride my impression is that the CarbOne is stiffer. I'll have to ride it more and see if I experience the flexing.

My weight range is 157 - 165 lbs. The weight savings of the carbon is a larger percentage of the total for me compared to a 190 lb. sailor. I'm not sure if that's significant but it's possible and little things add up. Maybe I'm wrong but when I compare the textured and sometimes gouged EVA covering the rails on the K1 I wonder if it is a small hindrance to earlier planning. The smooth rails on the CarbOne have to be more slippery through the water. This plus lighter weight and more stiffness may allow for a smaller sail size.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equipe Carbon, BIC Techno Formula and now the K1 Carbon !!!
WOW
You have the light wind WEAPONS

I had a Fanatic Ultra CAT, that is on its last legs.
And so , i purchased a Mistral Equipe I LCS-XR.
Plus have the BIC Techno Formula.
I was looking at a K1 locally, but was wondering which boards to sell.
After seeing this, i am thinking - get 'em all ? Smile
just kidding - i cannot

PLEASE give a detailed analysis how these weapons compare in the various winds - gliding, semi-planing, planing AND blasting

seems many interested readers here !!!!
waterloo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the interest here.

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and thoughts.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_windsurfxxx wrote:
Equipe Carbon, BIC Techno Formula and now the K1 Carbon !!!
WOW
You have the light wind WEAPONS

Joe, you are right, this is the perfect quiver to deal with our wind variety: super light wind, steady light wind and puffy light wind!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in light winds every little difference in efficiency is vital. mast base positions, boom heights, mast flex/stiffness, fin attributes, etc.

i was forced to use a weed fin on thursday. it is the only one i have 14" hydrotech. when using with a 9.0 sail it is a bit small, but manageable. i got my best performance out of an S-Cross 138 by adjusting my outhaul lfattter than i would with a standard fin. had the base back to 130 from the tail instead of my usual 138.

board weight and stiffness is a huge factor in the lightest of wind. also stiffness makes for greater performance in heavy winds too.

shoot, the stock fin on the S-Cross 138, a g-1o 46 cm, is nearly a pound heavier than a molded one of similar size. when i'm using the board i tend to use the G-10 fin when i'm not pumping to plane or pumping out of most of my jibes.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/

Last edited by jingebritsen on Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take that beast down to Seabrook Sailing Club south of Houston this Wednesday. I think this will be their last Wednesday Night Race. Right now, the iwindsurf forecast shows 20 mph wind and 80 deg. I'd guess there would be 5-10 Kona sailors there. Only 5 hours of driving each way.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that sounds good! But I'd be leaving wind to find wind and I think there's a rule about that. I'll get down there next spring and play with you guys. Thanks for the invite.
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly kidding about going all that way to Seabrook to race. You wouldn't like it, and may run into a little difficulty with it. The courses are almost always the normal long windward leg types, which makes sense for long board one-design racing. Since the Dallas folks have this weird aversion to sailing upwind in their races, you don't get efficient at it. It wouldn't be a good comparison for the board.

Those long reachy courses y'all do up there is so boring. Ever wonder why no one from Houston goes? The Dallas folks are so great, and they put on the best party. But folks just can't get over how bad the racing is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: