myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stevenson Sailing Better Than Sensor Numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Stevenson Sailing Better Than Sensor Numbers Reply with quote

There's been 10 or 12 windsurfers out enjoying warm easterlies the past 3 days. Most of the guys have been on 4.7 and 4.2.
I usually don't go there until the average on the sensor is 23, but with any slight north to the wind it's averaged way lower.
I've been on a 4.7 from 11am till 3pm the last 3 days and the sensor averaged in the teens much of the time. The direction was ENE.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was among the sailors at Stevenson, launching at the East boat launch, and also find that during an East wind, the sensor is blocked from any reliable readings if the wind has any North in it. I like to watch the Stevenson Web cams and if the sensor is reading a ENE direction and there are caps on the water, it is sailable. Look on the Sailworks Web site for a great list of Gorge web cams.

I have seen more sailors using Blackberry beach the last couple of days, it fills in with some North in the wind. No facilities there tho.....

KMF
laci

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting info. I keep checking the graph, and seeing the mediocre readings, I give up on making the drive. I do check the cams also, and have not seen any sailors, or rigs, at Bob's beach in the last several days, confirming my decision. Have I been totally wrong?
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laci,
We have been at the boat ramp. Check for sails on the water at the "kite cam". Today is lighter maybe 5.2 conditions from an onsite report by my friend.
kinsie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: More than recorded Reply with quote

Yes I also look at the cam for Bob's and see no one. If the sensor is showing at least 17 - 20 its good for me on 5.0 - 5.6 (I'm a 200 lbs).
For me it is equivalent to 22- 30 mph
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stevenson boat ramp is a better launch on an east as it gives one lots of room to drift to a safe beach if one has picked too small of a sail, or if the wind drops suddenly. I will sail at Bob's only if it is nukin, as then I have enough power to sail upwind to the #16 red buoy. Drifting below Bob,s on an East is bad......looking at a long swim.

It is difficult to see any sailors who are launching at the Boat Ramp or over at Blackberry beach from the Kite cam as most people prefer to sail at or above the red buoy where there can be some nice swell if the wind cooperates. I don't believe that the Kite cam view shows the scene that far East.

Look for white caps in the cam that shows the Stevenson sternwheeler dock. Lots of white caps on an east wind means at least 22+. Lots of North direction means that there will be a wind shadow at the launches in Stevenson, not a disaster, but it can be challanging to get going, not impossible tho....Thus many people are considering Blackberry, I see more cars there all of the time.

Keith
winfreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to risk the ugly launching and landing situation at Blackberry Beach, you can sail MANY more hours and days. I was the first person out and last to leave at the East launch on the Washington side today. A major slog to the wind line today kept all but three of us off the water today, but as I was driving away, 2 fully powered sailors had set out from Blackberry. Above there, the wind often builds to a sail size or 2 less and is filled in across the full river. I had a fantastic session up there yet again. Reports from the other 2 who sailed at buoy 16 were inconsistent wind and a disappointing day. It would be nice to have a cam at the "HOUSE FOR SALE" for east wind days.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackberry will be best when it's NE and you will see Bob's & Boat launch having a wind shadow.

Sailed over to Blackberry on Tues. and didn't have to swim out after sail adjustment but almost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: