myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WINDSPORT interviews Isobars. Please join in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daviddk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I encountered an entirely new subspecies of hominids there. I hope to hell that branch of (in)humanity is a dead end"

Introspection is a healthy, healing process iso. But go a bit easier on yourself, it`s not too late to change.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
What is your v02 max? I know mine was 75.8ml back when i was a sub 4 miler

I haven't found my VO2max chart yet, but Googling VO2max confirmed my recollections about it. It was right at 44, the borderline between the top (of seven)/elite category and the next lower category at my age (it is age-limited). Again, that was with no training. I'd like to have it tested again out of curiosity now that I've been interval training, but as you know, sustained running beyond what seems possible in what feels like an oxygen vacuum SUCKS BIG TIME.

Your 75 is literally phenomenal at ANY age. As you know, you're rubbing elbows with the highest VO2maxes on record ... a sneeze short of Lance Armstrong and his peers and superiors. If you were in your 30s or 40s at that time, you qualify as a bona fide freak ... in a good way.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
daviddk wrote:
You said "For a few years in my 50s I got paid to test next year’s high-wind windsurfing gear from around the world"

1. By your own admission all you can do is go fast and jibe ... no racing, no wavesailing, no freestyle.

2. By 'paid' did you mean a free magazine subscription?

Somebody break it to him.

No one did, so I will.
2. My pay included lots of cash (I legally made a profit on and wrote off all my windsurfing for several years), free trips to Maui (6 weeks) and the Cayman Islands for me and my wife, free fulltime access to the editor's very secluded Hood River home for a decade, free year-round access (with hundreds of free keepers) to the world's best high-wind WSing gear before it even reached the dealers, and much more.

1. Never said any such thing. There's more to WSing than racing, DTL wavesailing, and tricks.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Haven't forgotten at all about the questions or my response regarding the "lawyers" bit. My response was drafted > a week ago, but put on hold because of youwindsurf's admission of trolling and his previous refusals to answer any of my questions regarding his accusations. I don't knowingly deal with trolls, don't see any relevance to this interview, and I asked him first.

Besides, I've made the same statement before. It's nothing new. Why the hullaballoo now, in Mitch's forum in which he requested civility? In particular, this is not the AGW thread. For what I ACTUALLY think and said about that, see those threads.

OK Iso, calling you on this one too. You said that I admitted to trolling. Please provide my statement. to use your words: "I did no such thing. You're fabricating that. Reread my post[s]."

You say that I refused to answer your questions. Here are your "questions", which are rhetorical statements more than real questions:

"Do you REALLY think your stupid and presumptive (I never said all such events went to court) demands (I see no question of interest to Windsport) trump valid questioners and my other, MUCH higher, priorities?"

"REALLY, guys? Do you REALLY think I'm going to stop doing my knee rehab just to escalate your demands, unrelated to the interview, to the top of my priority pile?"

If you refuse to substantiate your claims because your have a false belief that I admitted to trolling, and/or that I refused to answer your condescending "questions", then so be it. Make any excuse you want.

Alea iacta est.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my Latin is a little rusty, so had to look it up

""The die has been cast""

means Alea iacta est.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
daviddk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There's more to WSing than racing, DTL wavesailing, and tricks."

Yes, BAFing, mowing the lawn...
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daviddk wrote:
"There's more to WSing than racing, DTL wavesailing, and tricks."

Yes, BAFing, mowing the lawn...

Nothing wrong with BAFing. Pre-jibers aspire to it (I did.) There's no crime in Iso being a BAFer.

daviddk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing wrong with BAFing, I luvs to BAF. But how does isbafer con a magazine into thinking he`s a well rounded sailor, able to give competent judgements on boards? Just curious Shocked
westender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the 3.5 Guide,, anyone could try the gear out and fill out a review form. It was average sailors doing the testing not Pro's. The average sailor is no Pro so the reviews seemed relevant. Almost everyone was a team rider back then too. If Iso got paid,, that's more than the rest could say??????????
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not even an employee of Performance Windsurfing Report; I was a contractor as Technical Editor and Test Director. If anyone threatened copyright infringement, which I doubt, it would have been the magazine's editor and co-owner, Michael Lowe.

Ask Jim Ballantyne of World Sails (or SEARCH this forum on his name) what impact on buyers my magazine reviews had.

Testers ranged from guys who couldn't plane through jibes to ranked pros ... the whole range of potential buyers. My personal test write-ups, based on my own testing and written before I saw anyone else's write-ups, were quite consistently near dead center among the 5 to 20 or so reviews on each board or sail, implying to me that mine were sound reviews representative of the average buyer or reader. The mag reviews reflected that.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 24 of 25

Jump to: