myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nahant in South wind ? Horseneck instead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Nahant in South wind ? Horseneck instead? Reply with quote

Hey all,

thinking about hitting Nahant again for another light wind wave session. Magic Seaweed is calling for 2-2.5' at 7 second (perfect for me), light south wind 10 mph (gusts 17), almost dead high tide when I start...however wind will be shifting to West. Windsup 10 with either 6.8 or 5.8 sail

I would think that South wind probably is not a good direction for Nahant as the peninsula will create a big wind shadow....then when it shifts to West, it'll be off shore and I'll be sailing alone.

welcoming thoughts as this would be only my second time there but thinking this won't be quite optimal.

If this is the case, is horseneck possible for an intermediate sailer novice to waves (there wind will be S/SW shifting to W at 12 mph ), can't find a magic seaweed re waves there. ?

thanks
Jeff
[/u]
windswell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the wave cam at Warmwinds.com, and wave report from BuzzBay Buoy. 3 foot swell at 6 seconds or more from S or SW usually means at least a small wave at Horseneck. If there's no wave at Warmwinds on a S or SW, there's NO wave at Horseneck. Warmwinds is not exposed to SW wind so it rarely looks windy on that cam. 2 hours either side of Low tide are usually the best wave on S or SW or SE at Hneck. It's definitely an intermediate wave spot unless it's really big, but that's rare and a big Horseneck wave will usually spit you back on the beach before you get out too far if you don't have the skills.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be fine at Nahant in a South wind, and it's a more gentle, organized spot than Horseneck if you're not yet confident in the waves. Side-offshore SW is actually the best direction there. Post on how it goes!
zeppy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll have a better time at Nahant where S and SW are side to side off. You might get a little more wind at HN, but S is pretty much onshore there, which is challenging and not great for riding waves. Good luck!
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place to park at Nahant is the small lot next to the playground at north end rotary. Main lot constuction is on hold and a complete disaster. On a good note that is the end of the beach that will have the cleanest wind fom the south.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help all.
yup, went there last Thursday, took me a while to find the parking

one other question - wind forecast now downgraded to. 7-9 mph from sw with 'gusts' 13 (based on pleasure bay)

still doable with a 6.8 or too light now?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doable, and should be fun. But bring a paddle and leash for SUP just in case.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forecast at Nahant had called for it to fade basically when I was due to arrive, so I decided to stay inland local and do some LWFS. Figures that the opposite happened and Nahant (or at least Pleasure Bay) stayed steady the whole afternoon and it died inland. Bad choice !

Anyhow, @ Mat-ty, I presume that tiny parking lot near the park is will be packed full on the weekends since it's such a tiny lot. Any other parking ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: