myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Sail worth fixing. Also, recommend new sail?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezzys are great. very hard to beat. and bombproof

goya banzi's are also. banzis provide more power at a smaller size.
they sail about .4 meters bigger than advertised sail size. also very light and tough.

maui sails are awesome also.

its not possible to buy crappy sails anymore.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windrockwater wrote:
Here is a pic of the sail rigged as best as I could. Notice the S bends in the battens. Notice the sail has been rigged to the white line. Notice that the lower batten is on TOP of the mast. Hence I need to 'pop' the sail when rotating. In this pic you can see the lowest batten bent in one direction while the next two battens are in S shape.

I can see from your photo that perhaps this mast is not optimum for this sail. It seems like you have a very full profile down low, suggesting more downhaul needed. But up top you are loose well past the maximum indicator, suggesting less downhaul needed. It's a bit tough for me to say all this with certainty from photos though, especially since the best photo (2nd one) for gauging the fullness does not have the sail outhauled, which may be misleading me. But if I'm right, this says to me your mast is too stiff on bottom/too flexi and soft up top. This mast is not tensioning the sail evenly and all the tension is down low, which is what makes it hard to rotate and is distorting the battens. Some help may come from loosening batten tension perhaps, on lower battens.

You have a dilemma. Try to demo/buy a compatible mast, or get a new sail that hopefully will work with the mast you've got. Sails/masts/rigging is sometimes a pain. I think much of the pain comes from masts that are "out of spec", or not compatible with a given sail brand. Or, perhaps my idea of what's right (good feel) is different from the designer's intent. Anyway, I hardly ever sell a mast for these reasons, since having plenty of variations is helpful. I have a lot of old ones to try when I get new sails, or to help out friends who are in your situation. It's almost silly what ends up working fantastically well sometimes (like Fiberspar R6000 490 bottom with NP X5 520 top, in my NP V-8 9.4 sail where I didn't like the recommended X5 520 complete--this was in early 2000's when Fiberspar and NP masts were made at same factory and had same ferule diameters).

I will buy used skinny masts at swap meets, or from Windance. Cuts the financial pain in half, and the skinnies are durable enough that used is not such a risk of breakage. Since you may not have all these extra masts lying around is there a sailing buddy or shop nearby that will let you borrow an Ezzy skinny mast to try?
pete1111

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are over tensioning the battens by a LOT. Ease off the tension and those wrinkles at the tip should go away.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully nobody messed with the battens on that sail. they are tensioned when the sails are rigged at the Ezzy factory.

looks like a mast incompatibility issue.(I own several Ezzy sails and have had them for a few years now. I rig them on Ezzy RDMs and Powerex SDM's and never have I seen an Ezzy sail look like that)

Ezzy has a mast theory video on their website where David Ezzy talks about what the sails will look like on various types of incompatible masts.

here's a thought, why not email your pics to David Ezzy for advice? I asked him a question via email yesterday and he answered me within 2 or 3 hours. You'll get much better information from him than from 1000 people here.

MHO
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I know at least one of the 1000s here that said to write David, which he has.

I would adjust the battens before I went any further, someone knows the history of the sail, but they could have been overtightened.

Shredbob , your analogy after seeing the photos is what I come up with, it does go back to the NP mast being a soft top.

I think I would invest in a more user friendly mast than the NP, Ezzy NoLimitz, I have found that a SDM when used in a rather NON compatible sail will work better than a RDM equally non compatible.

My sail picks way back are Ezzy, then Hot Sails Maui+some more, I have a 7.5 Liquid and its a really nice sail in all respects , it may not be as durable as some, for me so far been great.
I do think the NP mast will work fine on the Hot sails, bend curve compatible, and tried a Hot Rod mast in a NP Combat this year.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
windrockwater

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so i have some great tips from all of you and from My Ezzy on rigging the Wave Panther. I will keep trying to rig the 5.8 and maybe try a more suitable mast for it. The sail is a couple years old but honestly is like new and never used. So I will continue to troubleshoot it and keep it as my high wind sail. Honestly, I rarely ever need a sail that was smaller than my 6.7.

Now that my 6.7 is dead, my REAL need is a new primary-use sail for my 130L shortboard or for when I am using my 11' WINDSUP. I also have a 8.0 Naish 8.0 for light wind. So my goal is to find the sweetest size sail in between the 5.8 and the 8.0 for 90% use. It would also be nice if I could use my existing Fiberspar 460 25/25 mast, or, the NeilPryde 430 21imcs.

I was originally thinking a 6.5 size. But from what some of you are saying about newer sails (and the fairly limp wind typical of Long Island Sound) I am thinking maybe a 7.0 would suit me better. At 6'-5" i am one tall goon.

So if its gonna be a 7.0, then:

Sailworks Retro 7.0
Ezzy Cheetah or Legacy 7.0
GT1 Freeride 7.0

By the way, when i tried the 8.0 Naish on the JP Xcite 130, I hated it. It felt like a big heavy utility pole. Will a 7.0 on the JP be too large a sail for it?

Thanks for tips all. Really happy to hear all your helpful comments.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a Retro, but that's because I have some, and I like them.
I am not as big an Ezzy fan as most here on the forum, but he does make
a really durable sale, and his customer service is exceptional.

I have to say, though, that a 6.5 is the perfect step up from a 5.8 and the
perfect step down from an 8.0. On the other hand, if you rarely need anything smaller than a 6.7, that 7.0 is looking pretty good.

-Craig

windrockwater wrote:

So if its gonna be a 7.0, then:

Sailworks Retro 7.0
Ezzy Cheetah or Legacy 7.0
GT1 Freeride 7.0

By the way, when i tried the 8.0 Naish on the JP Xcite 130, I hated it. It felt like a big heavy utility pole. Will a 7.0 on the JP be too large a sail for it?

Thanks for tips all. Really happy to hear all your helpful comments.
zeppy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a mast compatibility issue, but it also looks like at least your top 4 battens are over tensioned. Try decreasing the tension a bit. I had a similar problem with an 2012 Ezzy Tiger 6.3, and playing with the batten tension a bit solved the problem. A bit more outhaul may help with the bottom batten. For what it's worth, I use Fiberspar SDM masts on my Panthers and my one Tiger. Good luck!
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, wondering why you dislike your 8.0 with your Excite Ride. Be careful planning your new sail purchase around an 8.0 sail you may not like or use. Better to get the optimum sail for your board than have sails on either side of optimum.

Here's a thought--An Ezzy Lion (cambered) 7.5, which I have and love, might be just the ticket for your bread and butter sail for LI I'd think. I'm guessing your weight is more than my 165#, and I use a 6.5 for my bread and butter sail. I use the 7.5 on my 121 liter 66 cm wide Starboasrd Carve. I rig it with a vintage Powerex mast and this is one sail that the very first time I used it everything was just right with no fuss--zero back hand pressure and a decent flexible feel for a cambered sail. This sail is less critical on the rigging than my 6.5 Cheetah has been. It just works.

Older Powerex and older Fiberspar masts were pretty much interchangeable so I'm guessing your 460 would be fine in the Lion. Also, the Cheetah 7.0 would probably work with your 460. The thing about the Lion 7.5 is it has such a good range that you definitely could go from it to your 5.8. I'm guessing it has much better low end and matches the top end of the Cheetah 7.0. Yes it's cambered, but my cams pop over effortlessly. Anything bigger than 6.5 and I usually prefer cams. Maybe not for you but just offering the idea.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Lion in 8.5m 2012 CAMs, yuk
mush prefer the Cheetah and a 7.5m for me works 'almost as well'
what it gives up slightly in increased the Cheetah makes up for in weight and general maneuverability

YMMV

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: