myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WINDSPORT interviews Isobars. Please join in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
castnoshadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

Thanks for answering the questions. I have just a few more that are non-windsurfing related but maybe kind of fun.

1) Have you seen the film,This is Spinal Tap? I find it to be worth a good two hour laugh, what do you think?

2) South Park, Do you watch it? Favorite kid? Favorite episode? I think you might like the Die Hippie Die episode.

3) Puma Punku, the archeological site in Bolivia. Who constructed this? Ancient humans with rocks and chisels as we are led to believe by mainstream archeologists? Undiscovered ancient race of human giants? Space travelers visiting this rock, now since departed? Some folks learn the answers but they keep dying strange deaths due to, "natural causes?"

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by castnoshadow on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

castnoshadow wrote:
1) Have you seen the film,This is Spinal Tap?
2) South Park, Do you watch it?
3) Puma Punku, the archeological site in Bolivia.

No, no, and not familiar with it.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Isobars, just one question, how would you define wisdom?

I discussed it earlier, and here are acceptable dictionary definitions:
The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.
Common sense; good judgment.
The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge. the ability or result of an ability to think and act utilizing knowledge, experience, understanding, common sense, and insight.
accumulated knowledge, erudition, or enlightenment.

Here are some circular, thus useless, dictionary definitions:
A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.
The quality of being wise.

And, of course, there's:
A tooth.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
I always try to avoid directly contradicting anyone's comments and refuse to engage in any pissing contests. Iso seems to thrive on pointing out other people's wrong ideas or information.

It might be good for business here but is bad manners in my book.

Maybe I have faulty impressions.

Is that a question?

Not really, but we can read between the lines.
I have never heard of the concept of avoiding contradicting another's comments. Living that way, we wouldn't have fire, the wheel, the U.S.A., sliced bread, or harnesses. Surely you don't want some power telling you how to live your life, especially your play?

I virtually never engage in pissing contests (pointless arguments, especially personal ones). Just because some people don't see the relevant point to a topical debate, or because someone thinks all debates are inherently personal, does not make them pissing contests. Certainly it matters, to some degree, whether we use cams, how we jibe, how we get into the straps, what board we use for what purpose, whether we must step on the MP to exert MFP, how safely we dress on the water, and countless other issues we've debated at length. If no one were allowed to offer an alternative, or even set straight an error, every thread would consist of one question, one answer, and no way of knowing whether that answer is right, is exclusive, or has any alternative answers.

What if I rub these two sticks together?
It would ignite the phlogiston in the air and we'd all die.

Is the head dip the ultimate WSing trick?
Of course.

Can these things plane?
Don't be silly.

Can ya loop a WSer?
Of course not.

What if I mixed peanut butter and chocolate"
It would taste like crap and make you sick.

In case it's not obvious, those are wrong answers. Letting them go unchallenged would have had dire consequences. Do you really wish no one had ever challenged them?

Does the same go for suggesting innovative or even proven alternatives? If so, think of the deep ruts we'd be in, from single pivoting plastic fins to the seemingly endless step jibe to big boards.

When I ask a question important to me, I want either THE answer, proven by research and backed by both credentials and evidence, or I want several alternatives with explanations, logic, and application criteria. Anything less is just one unknown dude's opinion, and I already had one of those before I asked the question. My GOD but I'd have quit the sport rather than go through the last 25 years thinking we all have to sail the same damned gear in a certain way wearing the same bulky neoprene suit with harness lines so long we can't reach the boom and live in SoCal to do it.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
youwindsurf wrote:
Iso sez (again): "I post facts, opinions, logic and support thereto in direct response to questions posed by others..."

I say: Ya, sure you do. Rolling Eyes

As usual, I have proof.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/search.php?search_author=isobars .
Knock yerself out.

Perhaps you missed the point of my one and only question for you which was to substantiate your claim that you have bested several lawyers in various venues.

You have yet to provide any facts to support that claim. Where is the proof of that statement?

Please try to keep on topic and don't evade the subject by attempted mis-direction.

Maybe you knocked yourself out, or maybe you simply made a statement which you cannot prove.

In either event, it is clear to me that you will never provide the information requested. I can only surmise that the reason is because your statement was a fabrication.
GuyT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is incredible. A thread was deleted just after a added a reply with a bit of humour that could have been interpreted as mild sarcasm.

Gee, are the moderators here trained in China???
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
In case it's not obvious, those are wrong answers. Letting them go unchallenged would have had dire consequences. Do you really wish no one had ever challenged them?

Does the same go for suggesting innovative or even proven alternatives? If so, think of the deep ruts we'd be in, from single pivoting plastic fins to the seemingly endless step jibe to big boards.

CLASSIC example: Pre-internet, I asked many shops what type of board is best suited for high winds. Not only the first shop, but several subsequent ones, said, "Go big. Buy a Wayler". What was that dang thing ... nearly 13 feet and 40 pounds?

So much for listening to first answers or going with the flow unquestioned.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I post to this lousy place again outside this specific interview thread, would somebody please shoot me? They're deleting my and others' posts right and left for absolutely no apparent reason. I put way too much thought and time into my posts to put up with this. Rules are fine ... if they're clear and understandable. These are not.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
I always wondered what pushes a person to write almost compulsively on forums, because let's face it, it's very futile.

I am not specifically talking about Isobars, I myself am a forum addict and I am pretty ashamed of it. ....
Who really cares of what I think of quads versus single fins or on 4 battens sails? ...is it worth the incredible waist of time I spend in front of a computer?

So the question is, why do I have this compulsive need to write on forums?

Any answer to that, Isobars?

My time online is not only not (inherently) a waste of my time; just the opposite, it's more fun and mind-altering than sleeping, eating, sitting around waiting for wind, most movies, EVERY beer I ever met ... almost anything but tearing up terrain.

The futile part was arguing politics. The other political persuasion is not rational, pure and simple.

The reward which offsets the futility is when strangers walk up to me on the beach, introduce themselves, and start gushing about how much I've helped them progress in windsurfing and/or how much they enjoy reading my posts. That offsets the slings and arrows from the whiners and control freaks.

Then there are the new iW forum guidelines. Is it mere coincidence that their renewed promise to delete personal attacks followed so closely on the heels of my correcting the legal pundits here who wrongly claimed iW could NOT be held liable for libel?

That's not futile; I've ranted about that problem and risk for over a decade, and it may have finally paid off.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 20 of 25

Jump to: