myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
rigging a North 8.1 luff 5.15 on a 460 mast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seek out ways to optimize my rare TOW. those that seek other things are free to do so.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: rigging a North 8.1 luff 5.15 on a 460 mast? Reply with quote

boardtrax wrote:
I have a chance to buy a this sail for $50

Hey if you like that sail, I've got a nice Betamax VCR you may be interested in too.

sm
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad some of you have endless $$$$ to spend on the latest and greatest gear.
Some of us don't.
Using only myself as an example, I have used, less than 3 years ago, a 1987 GaastraRacefoil 5.7 on a 2007 JP SlalomPro 84 to very good effect.
The sail was like a 6.8 sized modern sail in early planing power, topped out at only 21mph because it was tuned for early planing, got up to a plane easily in 15mph breezes......very small wind range, but was light enough to use on a 55cm, 84 liter board whereas a modern 6.5 would easily weigh more than 4 lbs heavier.
Other way around, 2006 NorthWarpSlalom sail on a 1994 Kinetic 100 liter slalom board with the widepoint waaay forward, easily 10" forward of center, and that combo worked just fine.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zertaeb
I hear you on the endless money thing! I agree sail what you bring and get to know your equipment and how to rig it! I like the older boards but I also like my new one's but then again I ride them until they are done for. 1993 130l Mistral Explosion w North Prisma 6.8 Race, rode it until the plastic skin was pealing off the bottom of the board deck soft and the monofilm sail was too brittle to stay together and too many stickers! Ten years + on those two! Pray for wind I feel the need for Speed! Cheers! Mike Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...
I've been riding '09 ExocetWarpSlaloms, and mix in 1996 sails with it and even some mid 2000 sails, and it all works fine.
My bud rides a '11 RRDSlalom with 1989 Windwings, and he sails just fine.
So I know new boards with old sails together work just fine.
And for sure, a modern sail with a wide point forwards, early '90's board works just fine together.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing if you are willing to spend $50 on that sail than money is no object, or at least you have money to throw away. Laughing

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying Speed or Slalom TCC's were the best sails of all time, but I will BET you cannot keep up with me if I"m using a 1993 GaastraRaceSlalom 6.4 in winds of 14-25, no matter what board you use, or what sail, and I'll ride my 1995 Kinetic Freeride board.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coachg
I'm guessing if you are willing to spend $50 on that sail than money is no object, or at least you have money to throw away. Laughing

What are you talking about?
Boardtrax asked for opinions and after a few he decided to go with using what he has (7.2). and buying a 24 pack of beer! That sounds like a logical thing to do! Hay If he's like most windsurfers I know or even like me! I like a cold beer after a long day of Windsurfing, goes well with sea food! Sail what you have and be one with your gear and it will = Very Happy Cheers! Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: