myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my notice of a 42 percent increase in my insurance AND higher deductible and annual out of pocket max. I hate obamacare! And I reluctantly supported it when it was obvious we wouldn't get single payer. I'm tempted to cancel my policy and pay the penalty for a year. I'll probably give in but I'll hate every monthly reminder that I am paying way more for less! I just turned a little more conservative! One thing that's a huge mistake either way- single payer, obamacare, whatever- is the no lifetime cap. Noone wants to talk about it but it's going to be the demise of health care - whatever the system. The poor health of most Americans is also going to bankrupt the system- the chronic illnesses from obesity mostly. If we had single payer there would finally be a financial incentive for the government to promote healthy lifestyles, healthy communities, and stop subsidizing the friggin corn farmers- corn syrup that is in practically every food item and is a huge cause of the rampant diabetes and obesity. So I know it sounds selfish- but if we can't have single payer- I want to go back to the old way and not subsidize all the people that are getting way cheaper and way better health care than me!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summertime...

Shop prices. I found a better deal on my insurance, but I had to look around. There was a very wide range.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
I just got my notice of a 42 percent increase in my insurance AND higher deductible and annual out of pocket max. I hate obamacare!

Remember......... it's your health insurance company screwing you.

summertime wrote:
...for the government to promote healthy lifestyles, healthy communities, and stop subsidizing the friggin corn farmers- corn syrup that is in practically every food item and is a huge cause of the rampant diabetes and obesity...

Yeah, and every time Michelle Obama talks about health food and obesity, the rabid right--including some here--make fun of and deride her.
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead- I went on the "california covered" website and they gave me only 2 choices- kaiser and blue cross and they were very similar in plan options and prices. Seems like a monopoly. Then a google search brought up a couple other companies but I'll have to wait 'till Monday to find out if they serve Calif., etc.
pueno- I agree with both statements. Then there's the outrage over NYC mayor wanting to stop the sale of big gulp soft drinks- which are the biggest factor leading to childhood diabetes and obesity. And wacko Sarah Palin proudly displaying her big gulp drink on the podium! Now there's a cause we should all rally around! Huge soft drinks! And yes, I know it's the insurance compainies that are ripping off people like me- we have to buy whatever they come up with. There better be better options than blue cross and kaiser cause they seem to be monopolizing - at least on the "Covered Calif." website.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would Obama let the insurance companies essentially write the bill? He is an oligarch and crony capitalist.

This is why my agent told me not to get rid of my "grandfathered" policy. Wait until this thing shakes out.

There is one company I heard of offering insurance to healthy people at a third of the cost of Obama care. You will have to pay the penalty, but even though you pay the penalty, it is still half the cost of Obama's plans. The catch? Same caps as old policies, you have to be healthy to start, no 26 year old freeloaders at home etcetera.

I couldn't stop thinking about how this would screw obamacare. Honestly it is the American way to provide a better product.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
summertime wrote:
I just got my notice of a 42 percent increase in my insurance AND higher deductible and annual out of pocket max. I hate obamacare!

Remember......... it's your health insurance company screwing you.

Yeah, and every time Michelle Obama talks about health food and obesity, the rabid right--including some here--make fun of and deride her.

That is because at her own White House parties she serves the most outrageous meals. Pork ribs, baked beans, private pastry chef with the most dreamy creamy fillings.

Meanwhile school kids are rioting when their lunches contain broccoli, carrot sticks and non fat cheese sticks. The high school athletes were starving!!
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want is a major medical with max annual out of pocket of 10,000. I would rather spend money on preventive health care like organic food, more time for R and R, exercise, laughter. I figure 10,000 dollars a year wouldn't wipe me out forever and it's a fair gamble for an insurance co. as well. But that has to be a fair price. And I'd take a plan with a lifetime cap to help keep costs down. If it costs a billion dollars to keep me alive my quality of life wouldn't be very good anyway. Why shouldn't a co. be able to offer a cheaper plan with a lifetime cap?! In this regard- I'm a conservative- let the market decide if people want that!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family has a $5000 deductible. It is easy to exceed that number every few years. It is still an expensive policy. But hey, would you want to be in college for 8-10 years, bust your ass with 16 hour days and then treat a guy who didn't think you're worth $500k per year?

I worship doctors. Last year 3 of us all had sports related surgeries. That made it worth every penny we paid.
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the covered calif. website is more geared for people that qualify for financial assistance which is why they only offered bl. cross and kaiser- I'll have to find out Mon. I don't qualify for financial assistance. I hate to say it but it seems the people that don't qualify for financial assistance are the ones paying for the ones that do. We get less, pay more- they pay very little and get more. Like I said- in some ways I'm a conservative. I've seen too many people milk the system for unemployment- don't really look for a job- have excuses why they can't take jobs offered and play it out for the max amt. of time. I've seen people be on unemployment for 2 or was it 3 yrs recently- travel and live it up, get a part time job and still qualify through some loophole for more unemployment). I know way too many that fake it to get permanent disability - while they bike 50 miles, etc.... they just keep hunting for Dr.s and fighting till they get their way... and one person got it (won't say condition here- oh but this person can windsurf every day.... Another person got it while having a ski pass and skiing all winter...faked back pain and ETOH - had high LFT's which some people do for many reasons- or maybe she made them go high on purpose temporarliy until she qualified for the it ... story after story. This is gonna happen with the Obamacare financial assistance too- I see it coming. It's so easy to cheat the system. So when the Repubs say they want to reign in entitlements- I agree- but they better not touch SS because I paid for that! That is not an entitlement. I'm not a big fan of peopole having kids they can't afford either and paying for their healthcare for 18 yrs.... I know poor people deserve to have kids too and there aren't enough decent paying jobs but how about just one kid on the dole per person?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a bit contradictory to stop the sale of Big Gulps when the government profits from the sale of alcohol, cigarettes, and lottery tickets...... All are damaging. I'm with you let's stop selling all of it. Do you support that too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 71 of 201

Jump to: