myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where I can get a Mistral Mast Base from way back 1993ish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopEater

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Where I can get a Mistral Mast Base from way back 1993ish Reply with quote

Hello, Looking for a new/used Mistral on-the-fly mast foot/base...

The rubber Boge Joint has broken in two...and if the Joint has threads on the the top and bottom...they're frozen.

any ideas? Idea

ATT00047.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.74 KB
 Viewed:  24314 Time(s)

ATT00047.jpg

whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an RSX mast base from adventure sports miami and then get a europin to us base adapter, that's one option.

http://adventuresportsmiami.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=527&category_id=118&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, you need the Mistral pin so that it inserts into your board's mast track. The pin on the RSX universal is very likely a slightly different configuration.

Have you applied heat to the pin? Usually, a threaded joint that is attached with Locktite or similar product will require the application of heat to break down the bond.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try WindPower (http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/)in Fond du Lac WI. I think they have the mast foot part you need with a rubber or mechanical u-joint, but maybe not with a top that will fit the bottom of your old extension.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Steve at http://watersportswest.com/ I think they had the mistral pins.
Hope this helps Mike
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Clearly, you need the Mistral pin so that it inserts into your board's mast track. The pin on the RSX universal is very likely a slightly different configuration.

actually, the RSX pin is the same. It's what I use on my 1990's Fanatic Megacat and 2007 Exocet Pacer Pro.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's great to know because often things look the same, but certain subtleties can make things a no-go. A case in point was the initially released Chinook SS Euro-pin universal that I bought. It would work in Chinook and Fiberspar mast extensions, but it wouldn't work in Streamlined's mast extension (the retention mechanism wouldn't hold the pin when the two assemblies were engaged together). I wasn't a problem with the Streamlined product because it worked with their own universal just fine. The problem was super subtle and almost impossible to visually discern. Just for the record, Chinook ended up correcting the problem in later production.

In the future, when recommending the RSX universal, you might want to highlight, like you just did, that it works as a substitute for specific products. Given how different European manufacturers used to design and make brand specific interfaces for products like mast tracks and finboxes, I find it interesting that Mistral and Fanatic actually spec'ed something identically. I know that Bic and Fanatic shared the Trimbox cavity design for a while, so such synergy has occurred in the past.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pic of your track car.
If it has two holes, use a Chinook single base bolt on, add two washers.
ChopEater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input...

Sounds like windpowerwindsurfing.com is likely to have the base. If not, there are a couple other likely suggestions here... thanks again.

Found a shop in the UK also so we're on our way...thanks again.

Never tried heat. Don't have the board personally but do have an extra photo of the bottom of the base:

ATT00056.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.17 KB
 Viewed:  24137 Time(s)

ATT00056.jpg

ATT00050.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  72.74 KB
 Viewed:  24137 Time(s)

ATT00050.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: