myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto harbor Reply with quote

5.0/95L at P.A. on Thursday when it was reading 15 to 17 knots. Rigged a new 5.0 Sailworks Retro for low end and my very new and very expensive Fanatic Freewave (Xtreme edition) and got more horsepower than expected. Good sailing for October. Cracked the board nose coming in at the pier while attempting to jump of the board to pier-WTF!! Guess I'll be doing some repair work before the next sailing. What galls me is that this board cost more than my first new car..a 1973 Toyota Corolla Sad
carl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,
Sorry about your board. But better injury to board than to ribs!
I was trying a dock landing earlier this year,,,, slipped off the dock and
hit the edge of the dock with my ribcage. Sleeping was very painfull for a month. Mad
hemmy007

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Bert,
Sorry about your board. But better injury to board than to ribs!
I was trying a dock landing earlier this year,,,, slipped off the dock and
hit the edge of the dock with my ribcage. Sleeping was very painfull for a month. Mad

PA sessions are all about the clean dock dismount.

Stay out of the mud & stay up wind until the dock return.
The clean step-off dismount to the dock is so satisfying.

Last time I sailed PA this summer,
after my clean dismount onto the dock,
a young woman turned to her bf and said,
he has sailed here before. Wink

And yes, I have busted my a##
& bashed my gear over the last twenty years,
so I know how it looks when it goes wrong.
part of the charm of the place.

too bad they did not build the WS launch out at the point...
tstizzle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
But better injury to board than to ribs!
Mad

have you seen the price of new boards these days? i would seriously consider a broken rib for one.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever broken a rib? Talking 7 weeks of not breathing fully, full on pain every time you roll over in bed, don't even look at your life partner, and you won't WANT to windsurf during all that time.
BTW, I dock start on a hard wooden dock at least 150 days a year. And sometimes, even come back that way,
rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At PA just walk to the end of the dock and beach start. I normally do it at a bit of a run. The worst thing you can do is fall back onto the dock so jump forward. Worst case scenario is that you fall into your sail and into the water. A lot of people try to put one foot on first and then the other. But this can cause you to lose balance, have the nose turn upwind and then fall towards the dock. Go for the jump!
bert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto harbor Reply with quote

Dock start is relatively easy,..it's the reentry that's sometimes difficult, especially when you are and old dude like me (64). That's why I miss sailing at Dumbo.. a couple of miles up north where it's illegal to sail above the bridge Crying or Very sad
carl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, Bert's right, dock start is easy for me too, even with a sinky board.
Landing is when I got the rib injury. Now I'm too chicken to even try.
Something about a month of very painfull sleep convinced me. Mad
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: New Brighton Reply with quote

Sailed out of New Brighton on my Angulo 10'10" Sailing SUP with an Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah.
No wind at first. Maybe a quarter knot. But it was from the southeast and as I worked my way up the coast it picked up to where I was traveling about 7 knots on a beam reach by the time I was going by Capitola. Got to Privates after about a half hour. Good swell coming in there and at Sharks so windsurfed there riding waves from the kelp almost in to the beach. Perfectly formed waves at times, with the larger ones being up to about 4 feet on the face. With the wind from the southeast at first and then switching to the east, it was very steady as it is onshore or side onshore with a long uninterrupted fetch. Much different than when it comes from the west off of the cliffs and is all gusty. With the east wind one can ride up to right under the cliffs, tack and head back out with plenty of power.
After over an hour there I tacked back in an east wind catching some waves along the way.
There was a Humpback whale about 200 meters off of New Brighton when I started rigging. There were sea lions doing conga lines as they attacked the anchovies that the whale was also feeding on. In places along the way the water was orange from all of the anchovy blood. Mammals and birds were having feeding frenzies at various points and times.
A nice calm, soothing kind of day with some fun longboard type rides.
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your posts windward. Sounds like a nice day indeed and you were probably the only guy to get some given the relatively crap wind conditions the last few days.

However, I worry about you. I'm not sure how soothed I'd feel in the middle of a marine mammal feeding frenzy involving red water and anchovy blood. Whitey sounds like he'd be real interested in the buffet, which I wouldn't want to be anywhere near!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 25 of 329

Jump to: