myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Obama vs. the Tea Party--who can lead?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've been pretty clear along the way. I don't watch Fox news, I didn't like Bush, and I don't like many republicans.

What I do protest is the worst president in American history. I used to think it was Carter and Bush.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few humorous takes on Republican craziness in the non-Faux world:

Quote:
One of the main reasons Republicans oppose Obamacare has largely flown under the public’s radar — until now. Here’s the key to understanding the GOP’s typically mean-spirited position: applications for insurance under the Affordable Care Act will also allow people to register to vote. Aha! The picture jumps into focus. Those in our population who are most anxious to sign up for healthcare coverage are the same people who the GOP has worked diligently, in state after state, to disenfranchise. The Affordable Care Act could lay waste to all that conservative effort.

Voters’ Rights groups have been keenly aware of this emerging issue, which is likely to be fought out in court. It became obvious to careful watchers in March, when a draft of the insurance application became public, that it would include the opportunity to register to vote. It was also obvious to those defending the right to vote that this provision is mandated by federal law — specifically by the 1993 National Voter Registration Act. That law, more popularly known as the “Motor Voter Act”, specified that states had to offer voter registration in government offices. That’s why most states currently offer the option to register to everyone who gets a driver’s license.

Oh my god, Democracy is really scary when the young people, and those of color, get to vote. let's stop that!

Quote:
Only the truly naive can be truly surprised.

Only the truly child-like can have expected anything else.

In the year of our Lord 2010, the voters of the United States elected the worst Congress in the history of the Republic. There have been Congresses more dilatory. There have been Congresses more irresponsible, though not many of them. There have been lazier Congresses, more vicious Congresses, and Congresses less capable of seeing forests for trees. But there has never been in a single Congress -- or, more precisely, in a single House of the Congress -- a more lethal combination of political ambition, political stupidity, and political vainglory than exists in this one, which has arranged to shut down the federal government because it disapproves of a law passed by a previous Congress, signed by the president, and upheld by the Supreme Court, a law that does nothing more than extend the possibility of health insurance to the millions of Americans who do not presently have it, a law based on a proposal from a conservative think-tank and taken out on the test track in Massachusetts by a Republican governor who also happens to have been the party's 2012 nominee for president of the United States. That is why the government of the United States is, in large measure, closed this morning.

We have elected the people sitting on hold, waiting for their moment on an evening drive-time radio talk show.

We have elected an ungovernable collection of snake-handlers, Bible-bangers, ignorami, bagmen and outright frauds, a collection so ungovernable that it insists the nation be ungovernable, too. We have elected people to govern us who do not believe in government.

We have elected a national legislature in which Louie Gohmert and Michele Bachmann have more power than does the Speaker of the House of Representatives, who has been made a piteous spectacle in the eyes of the country and doesn't seem to mind that at all. We have elected a national legislature in which the true power resides in a cabal of vandals, a nihilistic brigade that believes that its opposition to a bill directing millions of new customers to the nation's insurance companies is the equivalent of standing up to the Nazis in 1938, to the bravery of the passengers on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and to Mel Gibson's account of the Scottish Wars of Independence in the 13th Century. We have elected a national legislature that looks into the mirror and sees itself already cast in marble.

We did this. We looked at our great legacy of self-government and we handed ourselves over to the reign of morons.

This is what they came to Washington to do -- to break the government of the United States. It doesn't matter any more whether they're doing it out of pure crackpot ideology, or at the behest of the various sugar daddies that back their campaigns, or at the instigation of their party's mouthbreathing base. It may be any one of those reasons. It may be all of them. The government of the United States, in the first three words of its founding charter, belongs to all of us, and these people have broken it deliberately. The true hell of it, though, is that you could see this coming down through the years, all the way from Ronald Reagan's First Inaugural Address in which government "was" the problem, through Bill Clinton's ameliorative nonsense about the era of big government being "over," through the attempts to make a charlatan like Newt Gingrich into a scholar and an ambitious hack like Paul Ryan into a budget genius, and through all the endless attempts to find "common ground" and a "Third Way." Ultimately, as we all wrapped ourselves in good intentions, a prion disease was eating away at the country's higher functions. One of the ways you can acquire a prion disease is to eat right out of its skull the brains of an infected monkey. We are now seeing the country reeling and jabbering from the effects of the prion disease, but it was during the time of Reagan that the country ate the monkey brains.

What is there to be done? The first and most important thing is to recognize how we came to this pass. Both sides did not do this. Both sides are not to blame. There is no compromise to be had here that will leave the current structure of the government intact. There can be no reward for this behavior. I am less sanguine than are many people that this whole thing will redound to the credit of the Democratic party. For that to happen, the country would have to make a nuanced judgment over who is to blame that, I believe, will be discouraged by the courtier press of the Beltway and that, in any case, the country has not shown itself capable of making. For that to happen, the Democratic party would have to be demonstrably ruthless enough to risk its own political standing to make the point, which the Democratic party never has shown itself capable of doing. With the vandals tucked away in safe, gerrymandered districts, and their control over state governments probably unshaken by events in Washington, there will be no great wave election that sweeps them out of power. I do not see profound political consequences for enough of them to change the character of a Congress gone delusional. The only real consequences will be felt by the millions of people affected by what this Congress has forced upon the nation, which was the whole point all along.

Among other things, the Library Of Congress is closed as a result of what the vandals have done. Padlock study and intellect. Wander aimlessly down the mall among the shuttered monuments to self-government. Find yourself a food truck that serves monkey brains. Eat your fking fill.

Read more: Government Shutdown - The Reign Of Morons Is Here - Esquire
Follow us: @Esquiremag on Twitter | Esquire on Facebook
Visit us at Esquire.com

And then there are the whacky Christians:

Quote:
A Christian TV host this week called on God to consider a “military takeover” of President Barack Obama’s government because it could be the only way to save the country from tyranny.

On his Monday Internet broadcast, Morning Star TV’s Rick Joyner predicted that democracy was “doomed” unless the Lord imposed martial law.

“The balance of powers in the legislative and judicial branches were supposed to balance and keep in check, hold in check, the potential tyranny from the executive branch overstepping their bounds,” Joyner explained. “The people are not always right, it depends on what people they are. And another thing the founders warned about is this thing will only work for a moral and a religious people. You remove morality, you remove the religious influence, and it cannot work.”

But the Re-thugs are cannibalizing their own party:

Quote:
Eric Levenson 4,059 Views Oct 4, 2013

It's not just the American public that blames Republicans for causing the shutdown, as polls have shown. Fellow Republicans, too, have turned on their own party, and they are doing so with some brutal takedowns usually reserved for Democrats.

As the government shutdown goes into its fourth day and threatens to bleed into a debt ceiling crisis, National Journal reported on Thursday that the Republican Party is more united than ever in its trust of Speaker John Boehner. And yet many members of Congress had felt free to express disunity — many times on the record, and even on camera. These callouts can be broken up into three key groups: conservatives angry at congressional Republicans, those angry at the hardline anti-Obamacare caucus, and those just mad at Texas Sen. Ted Cruz.

Anger target: All Washington Republicans
Sen. John McCain has been his typical maverick self and criticized the Republican shutdown plan as "not rational" and "unnecessary."
Rep. Jason Chaffetz fired back at those seemingly mild criticisms with a straight ad hominem attack. “I don’t care what John McCain thinks!” Chaffetz said to NBC’s Andrea Mitchell. “Andrea, I don’t care what John McCain thinks!” The 2008 election was a long time ago, it seems.
Gov. Chris Christie took aim at the whole legislative branch, which he said is not "built to lead and take risks. What they’re built to do is say 'How many votes do we have?' and 'How many do we need?' and 'Do I have to give my vote now or can I hold back a little bit and wait to see which way the wind is blowing?'" Christie also added an implicit criticism in a political advertisement: "Compromise is not a dirty word."
Gov. Bobby Jindal is tired of congressional Republicans soiling the party's name. "As governors, we have outsourced the Republican brand to D.C., and it’s time to stop that," he said.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam said that the effort to connect Obamacare to funding the government takes away from attempts to revise the law. “This is a huge distraction,” he said in an interview with The New York Times. “Instead of that being the conversation, we’re talking about the government shutdown, and the average citizen can’t help but say the Republican Congress isn’t helping.”
North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr said of shutting down the government over Obamacare, "I think it’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard."
Arizona Gov. Janet Brewer criticized both Republicans and Democrats for the shutdown: "I think it’s all of their faults. They’re all responsible."
Sen. Richard Shelby called the plan "foolish."
Conservative pundit David Frum gave one of the more scathing criticisms of the party as a whole at The Daily Beast: "It stumbles into fights it cannot win, gets mad, and then in its anger lurches into yet another fight that ends in yet another loss," he wrote.

Anger target: The defund-Obamacare caucus
California Rep. Devin Nunes termed the deal-averse section of the party "lemmings with suicide vests" earlier this week. "It’s kind of an insult to lemmings to call them lemmings, so they’d have to be more than just a lemming, because jumping to your death is not enough," he said. Nunes repeated his assertion that this "lemming caucus" was to blame on CNN on Thursday. "It's guys who meet privately. They're always conspiring. It's mostly just about power. And it's just gotten us nowhere," Nunes said.
An anonymous House Republican thinks Boehner is being held at the whims of this small group. "I've been trying to figure this out," the congressperson said to the Washington Examiner. "It seems to me that Boehner could do whatever he wants with Democrats on the floor and still get about 180 or 190 of us. So why doesn't he do that?"
Conservative columnist Charles Krauthammer of The Washington Post also called the hardline group a "suicide caucus."
Former Bush spokesperson Nicolle Wallace compared this caucus to a two-year old child attempting to cross the street, in need of a parent to guide them. "When Republicans run into the street despite the fact there’s a flashing red light, they’re gonna get hit by the cars and killed."

Anger target: Ted Cruz

For the past few weeks, much criticism has been lobbied at Sen. Ted Cruz, who has taken the reins of the defund-Obamacare-or-face-shutdown caucus, particularly after his 21-hour faux-buster last week.
New York Rep. Peter King called Cruz a "fraud" and said he is utilizing a "form of governmental terrorism," to The New York Times. And in case you didn't get the hint, King said what he really thought to Yahoo News's Chris Moody:...
Anti-tax activist Grover Norquist added Cruz into the toddler-in-traffic analogy. "Cruz said he would deliver the votes and he didn’t deliver any Democratic votes. He pushed House Republicans into traffic and wandered away," Norquist told The Washington Post.

When even Norquist thinks you are an idiot...you are not going to be President! Keep it up GOP, you've already scared the women and children, now you're even working on the angry old men!
mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here are the noted sayings of one of the House crazies, Louis Gohmert. Video for those who don't read, and criticism from George Will to show how broadly he is disrespected:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU1-JXTd9-Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqklMnmEkoQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQVfQCpYocQ

Funny how those Texas accents become more pronounced when they say the craziest things.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That third video is unbelievable. There no doubt, Rep. Gohmert off-the-map crazy. I think that "there's a gaping hole" in his mind. How embarrassing to go off like that. What kind of people would vote for such a piece of work to represent them?
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These examples are the reason Boehmer is letting this happen.
the teas tried to force him out and this is him outsmarting them.
Some of them are gonna be gone after the midterm elections.
He is trying to raise their losses. They seem eager to oblige him.
I think he knows he can turn this off anytime before the 17th and the Teas will all stand up and scream at him.
In Public in front of voters no Teas hiding, screaming "Shut Down the Government again"
He smiles just thinking of that day coming.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loons on the right will like this one:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton became the target of sexist body shaming at a GOP convention in California on Saturday, where anti-Hillary buttons were spotted and shared on Twitter.

San Francisco Chronicle's Carla Marinucci tweeted a photo of the buttons which read "K F C HILLARY SPECIAL 2 Fat Thighs 2 Small Breasts...Left Wing":

But they swear they aren't biased, or misogynistic. The interesting things are first, that Republicans at the convention, who realize this is not good for the ban, asked the guy to move. Second, his marketing studies showed he could sell a lot of stuff like this at meetings of Republicans. And third, this is cribbed from right wing attacks on women in Australia.

You guys don't get it, but keep it up, you're helping the Democrats in 2014!
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mac"]The loons on the right will like this one:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton became the target of sexist body shaming at a GOP convention in California on Saturday, where anti-Hillary buttons were spotted and shared on Twitter.

San Francisco Chronicle's Carla Marinucci tweeted a photo of the buttons which read "K F C HILLARY SPECIAL 2 Fat Thighs 2 Small Breasts...Left Wing":

quote]
What's to like, you and your media act like this is some kind of new news, it's old recycled junk from the democrat primary.
Photobucket had all sorts of that saying years ago, get with it.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW again missed the point:

Quote:
it's old recycled junk from the democrat primary.

Your buddies on the right are still doing it--and folks who go to Republican conventions are still buying them. Most of you say nothing to disapprove--but wonder why you lose the women's vote by an overwhelming margin.

Keep it up, it's better than a campaign donation to the Democratic committee!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac... My wife told me that joke during the Hillarycare days of the Nineties. My main objection, is they need some new material! The folks that want to be pissed off will be. I think you may be reading too much into this.

Political cartoons are part of the game. Rememeber GW on the cover of Nation as Alfred E Newman? (He was the Pres at the time wasn't he?)

Full disclosure...I admit to having a irreverent sense of humor.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
NW again missed the point:

Quote:
it's old recycled junk from the democrat primary.

Your buddies on the right are still doing it--and folks who go to Republican conventions are still buying them. Most of you say nothing to disapprove--but wonder why you lose the women's vote by an overwhelming margin.

Keep it up, it's better than a campaign donation to the Democratic committee!

No, you missed my point, the Chron. is more of a rabble rouser than I am, so much so that they have to dig deep into an old well to try to play the "I'm offended" card again.
And they sucked you in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 55 of 59

Jump to: