myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
iWindsurf removing criticism of Isobars. Really
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: iWindsurf removing criticism of Isobars. Really Reply with quote

Check this out: I thought I was imagining it at first. In the Northwest regional forum there's a post by someone from WindSport saying they're going to interview Isobars. A number of people (including me) made some critical comments. Later that day (yesterday) I saw that my comment was no longer there. I thought perhaps I deleted by accident (I did edit it). Posted again. Gone the next morning! Put up a mini post simply noting that my posts re Isobars thread were being deleted. Immediately got a response from NoShuz saying his were too.

So whoever posted some time ago that iWindsurf felt that Isobars was good business for iWindsurf...well now it seems they want him to appear reputable. While deleting criticism. How goofy is that?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he is the last person I would have Pete /Windsport/Derrik interview

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

If it was a personal attack I can understand why they removed it?

-Kevin

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
Shocked

-Kevin

It wasn't. I reposted. You can read it in the NW forum.

KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
KevinDo wrote:
Shocked

-Kevin

It wasn't. I reposted. You can read it in the NW forum.

Give me a sec, reading through the thread you posted on jibing. Looks like 3 credible people so far have posted saying their posts were deleted. That's concerning to me....

If it's legitimate criticisms than it should be allowed. If it turns into personal attacks than no.

Either way I'd like an explanation.

-Kevin
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that one of my posts was deleted in the thread that Peconic Puffin highlighted, and I had three others deleted in an earlier NW forum thread that has been "locked". There's definitely something unfair going on.

I find it ironic that an earlier linked NW forum thread that Peconic Puffin highlighted in one of his deleted posts is a perfect unvarnished example of how isobars totally thrashed it. Unfortunately, there are innumerable examples where this happens with regularity, and I'm not talking about the political section of the forum here. It happens on windsurfing specific threads all too often.

Let me be perfectly frank, I'm not one to promote or support censorship, even if it was to involve isobars and the nonsense that he spouts here. I say let folks judge for themselves who they want to read. I think that we're all adults here, and I would hope that iWindsurf would not treat us like children.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested most of the time in all of the posts from everyone. One major exception is the various pissing contests. What irritates me the most about those is the tendency for the arguers to misread what their opponent wrote. And I wish every poster would always recognize that windsurfing conditions and the people who windsurf are so varied there is almost always more than one "best" product, method, attitude or whatever.

So I think Isobars is as good an interview subject as anyone else on the forums.

Regarding Peconic Puffin's censorship complaint: is Isobars the NW moderator? They had to pick someone. If a high traffic count is desired then Isobars' writing style and the styles of his "opponents" might be what iWindsurf.com wants.

Maybe a little bit of irritation is the new entertainment. It is clear enough that subjects which don't have some irritation for somebody don't get as many posts, and therefore not as many reads, and therefore show fewer ads to fewer eyeballs.

As a viewer I want more civility, but I'm not looking for fewer arguments. The disagreements are informative because they bring out more details.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately our culture on these forums are repelling most. wonder why so few pro's want to spend much time on these things for decades?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:

So I think Isobars is as good an interview subject as anyone else on the forums.

Hi DelCarpenter,
I've been sharing the following thread as a crystal clear example of why Iso is in fact harmful to this forum. I invite you to read it and say whether you think this is a pissing match, or one person causing trouble.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23843

jingebritsen wrote:
unfortunately our culture on these forums are repelling most. wonder why so few pro's want to spend much time on these things for decades?

This is the heart of the problem. I know some outstanding windsurfers...serious experts...who do not post here specifically because they don't want to go ten rounds with Isobars. The people who remain in iWindsurf's forums are those who have decided to put up with the culture. It's not that Iso is an audience draw, it's that only those who are up for it or are entertained by it are still here. Everyone else has left.

The reason I and others are cautioning WindSport against writing about Iso is that we believe that for the vast majority of windsurfers (ie those who don't participate in the forums) that he is "windsurfer repellant". He may seem like a good story (because there's apparent controversy) but actually he's just bad news that harms the already small windsurfing community.

That's how I see it.

(btw given that iWindsurf now seems to be editing, censoring etc posts on Iso's behalf I've taken screen shots of the thread mentioned above. If iWindsurf decides to delete or "improve" them I'll be happy to post the originals. It's insane that it's come to this. Thanks Isobars.)

techno900

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't get it. Iso, in his self absorption likes to be right about everything, plus he loves to make waves. Fine, debate him or not. We all know where a debate will likely take us, but so be it. The unfortunate thing is that Iso does make some valid points from time to time, but anything of value is lost because most focus on "how he says it and not what he says". We all have choices and I choose to post here regardless of the strange behavior that some of you exhibit. I wonder what kind of individual/personality would avoid this forum just because of guys like Iso?

It's everyone's choice to attempt to have a discussion or not. There are plenty of folks on the forum that are level headed and contribute good information, but there are also others not too unlike Iso that are also stubborn and confrontational, but they just don't see themselves in that light.

Agreeing to disagree is fine (front foot first or back foot first). That was a fun discussion for me.

My only issue on these forums is with the derogatory and demeaning personal comments that several of the posters here feel compelled to write. As I have said before, grow thicker skin, and if some bozo goes off the inappropriate end, don't get your panties in a wad, just move on. All this "it offends me" garbage only points out personal weaknesses - in my opinion.

Damn, I wish there was some wind.........................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: