myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trying to plan a surprise windsurfing vacation. Please help?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
floridasun13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Trying to plan a surprise windsurfing vacation. Please help? Reply with quote

Hi all....I have to admit that I am not a windsurfer myself (yet..but may take lessons Smile ) however my significant other is an advanced windsurfer and I am trying to plan a long weekend getaway for him as a surprise gift, but am kind of lost as to where to go and hoping someone can help.

I have already looked into weekends at places like Aruba, DR, St. Martin, etc. but they just do not have any flights that would work with our schedule to make it worthwhile to pay the high fees for only having 1 or 2 days there, so then I decided to give up the idea of traveling to the caribbean and see if there were any closer options.

So, does anyone have any opinions on where I may be able to find a good windsurfing spot either in Florida, the Florida Keys, Bahamas, etc.? Or any other options not too far from Florida? Keeping in mind that he only enjoys the sport if it is really windy as in 20+mph winds and a "blow off" as he has tried to explain to me LOL so I would be very appreciative if anyone had any other ideas of where we could travel to for a long weekend close enough to FL and also provide for the windy, advanced windsurfing conditions? Thanks for any help!
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the season. When are you going?

For 20mph winds, I don't think Florida works unless you manage to time it to a hurricane. Smile
Not sure what the issue with the flights is, but I would seriously consider Cabarete, DR. There are direct flights from Miami to Puerta Plata. Great wave sailing, reasonably consistent winds.
There is also El Yaque in Venezuela.

Don't think Bahamas are particularly windy.

You have to be prepared that if you go for just 2-3 days, there is a chance there will be NO wind, no matter where you go. Even Maui goes through windless stretches.

If you go in October, you may be best off going to Cape Hatteras (NC). November could be good too, but probably colder.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to plan a surprise windsurfing vacation. Please help? Reply with quote

If your plan is +20MPH winds for a long weekend, there just isn't any place
in the world where the probabilities are high enough to justify a chance,
(maybe the Gorge in mid summer, and you're not close, and it's not mid Summer). This is just not the kind of thing that is practical for someone who
windsurfs. I guess you could get lucky with a tropical storm around Hatteras
or the Outer Banks NC.

Wishing you good luck,

-Craig

floridasun13 wrote:
Hi all....I have to admit that I am not a windsurfer myself (yet..but may take lessons Smile ) however my significant other is an advanced windsurfer and I am trying to plan a long weekend getaway for him as a surprise gift, but am kind of lost as to where to go and hoping someone can help.

I have already looked into weekends at places like Aruba, DR, St. Martin, etc. but they just do not have any flights that would work with our schedule to make it worthwhile to pay the high fees for only having 1 or 2 days there, so then I decided to give up the idea of traveling to the caribbean and see if there were any closer options.

So, does anyone have any opinions on where I may be able to find a good windsurfing spot either in Florida, the Florida Keys, Bahamas, etc.? Or any other options not too far from Florida? Keeping in mind that he only enjoys the sport if it is really windy as in 20+mph winds and a "blow off" as he has tried to explain to me LOL so I would be very appreciative if anyone had any other ideas of where we could travel to for a long weekend close enough to FL and also provide for the windy, advanced windsurfing conditions? Thanks for any help!
floridasun13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. In answer to a few questions....we are open to going pretty much anytime if in Florida, but if traveling for longer, we wanted to look into a place like Aruba or the DR, but the flights are very limited from Orlando, unless we wanted to do an overnight layover. The few that are available that would work with our schedule, we are looking at ~$1400 just for the flight alone! Just doesn't seem worth it to spend in upwards of $2k for a long weekend when I can take a full week for that same cost elsewhere or during another time.

I was thinking of giving this trip as a Christmas present as my partner will never do it for himself and instead we always do other vacations instead. I would not even mind driving north to NC for instance, but it wouldnt be able to be done until after the new year. I see local windsurfing places here on both the east coast and west of FL like in Tampa and Merritt Island, but the problem again is just it not being windy enough.
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best present, DO TAKE A WEEK! Sometimes people see a good forecast and take off to get 2-3 sailing days in. But given that you want to long-term plan for specific dates, chances of no wind are at least 30% no matter where you go. You could plan a 2-day trip to see the Louvre or the Coliseum - you know they will be there when you get there. Wind is fickle, so to ensure you get what you want go for a week. Then you can do some excursions on non-windy days (or take lessons!) and everyone will be happy.

Giving a 2-day windsurfing vacation as a present is just too risky, chances of disappointment are too high. Or try picking a place that you'll be happy to be at no matter what, then you have a set of fall-back things to do. The attitude should be "we'll go to this wonderful place to have fun - if there is wind, you may even windsurf!"
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that a 2 or 3 day weekend present could be like giving nothing! Even if you go to Maui! I went there for a week in July and got skunked! very rare but it happens. Problem was, I could have sailed, but no rentals were available with large sails for light wind.

If you live in Florida a better present might be a local getaway within the state. Just keep an eye on the forcasts. Fall and Winter can be good.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a weekend...Islamarada in the Keys, or Virginia Key in Miami

Ideally in December....hope for a frontal passage North wind....yes timing is tricky...prob only would know maybe 5 days in advance.

I would think if you make the effort, that would be the gift.

You both might enjoy this:
http://calema.com/

Next year, take a week and do Hatteras, NC

In the end, wind or not, you end up in Miami or the Keys, and if that ain't enough...get a new dude

Windaholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was rolling the dice, I would go to Aruba during its windy season. If you choose the keys, make sure he brings his equipment with him. Nothing to rent down there.
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered South Padre island, Texas? You can take a flight to Dallas and rent a car, drive south through Brownsville (make sure you obey the speed limit, Gringo!). There are a few rental shops and generally good winds in spring and Fall.
Would be a great place for you to take some lessons, too. And he can try the ocean, if conditions right, or if light, take a kite lesson?
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered South Padre island, Texas? You can take a flight to Dallas and rent a car, drive south through Brownsville (make sure you obey the speed limit, Gringo!). There are a few rental shops and generally good winds in spring and Fall.
Would be a great place for you to take some lessons, too. And he can try the ocean, if conditions right, or if light, take a kite lesson?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: