myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Super Light replacement?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Mistral Super Light replacement? Reply with quote

I overhauled a Mistral Super Light about 7 to 8 years ago and it's about done for, my kids and all there friend SUP and playing on it, me riding it when the wind is light with a 7.0sqm it's had alot of use. It's getting soft on the deck and on the bottom near the nose and a few other places. Don't really think it's worth the trouble to remove the deck pad and start a very extensive repair job. So what's a good replacement? Have an Equipe II XR in pristine shape so I can sail that with either my 8.5 or 7.5. So any ideas? Thanks Cheers! Mike
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet makes the best windsurf/SUP/SUP wave/lightwind surfsailing board around. I think it's ducktailed still, and nothing beats it in sub 15mph breezes.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1988 Superlight that's showing it's age, so have considered the same question. Exocet WindSup 11'8" is a nice board, but nothing like a Superlight. I'm looking at the StarBoard WindSup 12'2"x30" Freeride for 2014 (totally new board). Might be close to the Superlight in the lightest breezes (but unlikely to equal it), but will definitely be better when the wind heads toward mid-range (10-12 or 15). Centerboard model, obviously. $2k. Looks great. Get it with the 6.5m rig too - that is truly super light (was the name Severne gave the previous version of the sail).
chas5131

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the star-board website:

"WARNING: Boards larger than 10'5" are not constructed for big surf. Several of the models are functional for windsurfing and wave riding, but none of them are designed or built for jumping or planing."

Back to considering the Kona.
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt the Kona has all sorts of disclaimers too. But OP was about a Superlight replacement, and as far as I know, no one surfs a Superlight.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardhead1,

What are you looking to do with the replacement board. Only for you? More kids to mess with it?
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder
It's not just for me, the kids would still want to use it along with the cousins and friends. It might be that I just retire the SL board to the kids. The Equipe XR has too many straps and the deck still has nonskid on it so they really don't like it. I like sailing it with the new twin cam 8.5. I'll just start using the Equipe a bit more for a while and see how that works out. Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. Cheers! Mike
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, the KonaOne is the best all purpose board. My kids and wife love it, so do I for different reasons. The EVA deck is great for the knees, and not as skiddy as an old deck without noskid.

The only thing is that it is not as rugged as old ASA or Poly boards. I bought a Windurfer they can use to goof around at the cottage when they want to do so. Bic is also marketing the Beach, if I recall right, for about 800$ new. It is quite rugged too.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the BIC Ace-Tec Wind SUP. I have the 10.6 and love it. It does not have a dagger board, but the 11.6 does. My 10.6 has a nicer glide in low wind than the Exocet WindSUP 10 and the Kona Mahalo (both of which I also have, but rarely used after I got the BIC).

The kids will like the soft top, you might like the durability and price ($1300 for the 11.6).
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ace-tec Wind SUP looks good for abuse. Is it as rugged as an 80's ASA board? Can we assume it is way stronger than the Exocet or Kona?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: