myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Windsurfing Videos Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area America's Cup
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
summertime



Joined: 16 Jun 2006
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if Ellison chooses super expensive boats again for next A.C.- the other sailing clubs wishing to compete but can't afford the insanely high cost should all start a new race. Something with a cost limit. That would allow more people to compete based more on sailing skills and not so much on how much money they can put into the boat. I think a boat design oriented race is cool in itself as well but I'd like to see a more fair international race option. I did love watching those amazing boats and learning a bit about sailing so I would love to see it in SF again. Also I was really impressed with the committee that came down hard over the cheating. I am so tired of cheating in sports. It's hard to get excited about athletes or teams anymore because I always wonder if it's real or due to some form of cheating-doping or rigging in some way. So kudos to the committe for taking a firm stand on that. I loved the way Jimmy Spithill kept saying "The boys love being in this position (getting creamed). They love the challenge..." That was so diplomatic and good leadership. In the end they proved- you should never give up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2316

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end, the Kiwi's learned ..."never listen and embrace the desires of the race organizers to EXTEND the races, buy taking it easy in a few races, to make it close to get more spectators, more money, and more promotions for the event."...
Then they lost momentum, and never got it back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KevinDo



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 400
Location: Cabrillo Inside

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
I think that if Ellison chooses super expensive boats again for next A.C.- the other sailing clubs wishing to compete but can't afford the insanely high cost should all start a new race. Something with a cost limit. That would allow more people to compete based more on sailing skills and not so much on how much money they can put into the boat. I think a boat design oriented race is cool in itself as well but I'd like to see a more fair international race option. I did love watching those amazing boats and learning a bit about sailing so I would love to see it in SF again. Also I was really impressed with the committee that came down hard over the cheating. I am so tired of cheating in sports. It's hard to get excited about athletes or teams anymore because I always wonder if it's real or due to some form of cheating-doping or rigging in some way. So kudos to the committe for taking a firm stand on that. I loved the way Jimmy Spithill kept saying "The boys love being in this position (getting creamed). They love the challenge..." That was so diplomatic and good leadership. In the end they proved- you should never give up!


I think they will figure out a way to make it more "affordable". Larry Elison did mention he wanted to do that during the interview...lets hope he keeps his word...either way the AC72s were definitely amazing!

-Kevin

_________________
2014 Cabrillo Beach GPS CS (inside)
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1T3t6bAGX8AejJqTFg5empQNjQ&usp=sharing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrFish



Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Posts: 233

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
I think that if Ellison chooses super expensive boats again for next A.C.- the other sailing clubs wishing to compete but can't afford the insanely high cost should all start a new race.


Well there are tons of other races. I'm not sure about match racing generally anyway though.

Personally, I find the long distance races more interesting; I actually looked into doing an Around Alone at one point but it was around 1 million for a basic campaign, back then so I gave up on the idea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2316

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can solo the GoldenGate to a rounding of S.Farallone and back, and you'd only need a 15,000 buck boat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
summertime



Joined: 16 Jun 2006
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
In the end, the Kiwi's learned ..."never listen and embrace the desires of the race organizers to EXTEND the races, buy taking it easy in a few races, to make it close to get more spectators, more money, and more promotions for the event."...
Then they lost momentum, and never got it back.


I don't think they did that. Do you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aguasonic



Joined: 18 Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Location: Sherman Island, California

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:
In the end, the Kiwi's learned ..."never listen and embrace the desires of the race organizers to EXTEND the races, buy taking it easy in a few races, to make it close to get more spectators, more money, and more promotions for the event."...
Then they lost momentum, and never got it back.


I don't think they did that. Do you?


Not a chance. If anything, they forgot that sailing is just like poker, only different. They should have sandbagged the first half-dozen races, /almost/ winning, instead of blowing Oracle off the course. As it was, they came out smoking, scared Otusa witless, enough to play their 'card' with a perfectly functioning boat. Then luck came in { race 13 especially }, and the Kiwis watched it fall from their hands. Otusa was caught completely flat-footed. The Kiwis gave them time to recover, but not on purpose.

Mark
~~~~
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zirtaeb



Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 2316

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money drives everything, right?
Organizers complaining since race 3 that $$$$ was lacking, event will never happen in SF again, waa waaa wo is us.
So, Kiwi's won a few more, felt sorry for the sailing scene, relented a few races, and never got back in stride.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cruzanboard



Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When has the AC ever been cheap? Ellison just took it to the next level quickly. Don't think they will ever go back. Just look at some pics of the AC 45's from last year. They look TINY now. Now that the public has been hooked on the AC 72's, SFYC will have to do even better next round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whitevan01



Joined: 29 Jun 2007
Posts: 452

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the 30's they used J boats which were 130' long. after the war, they (NYYC) changed the deed of gift to allow "small" boats to compete in AC. 12 meters were in the 60 foot range. only "poor" people sailed 12 meters before WW II. so, it's always been for the super wealthy and it has always been a design as well as sailing race. Vanderbilt was the Ellison of his day.

I think Ellison wants real expensive boats, so there aren't other people to race against to be the defender as there used to be. Before that, as a challenger, he never even made it to the Louis Vuitton finals.

the AC 72's are amazing boats, but as originally conceived by Ellison and Coutts, they weren't supposed to be able to foil. It was the Kiwi Kiwis who found a loophole in the rules that allowed them to foil their boat. too bad they weren't able to keep that under wraps until the AC finals, that would have really put OTusa on the back foot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group