myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfer Drowns at Waddell Creek but brought back to life.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaipal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Steve! Glad you pulled through and wishing you waves for years to come.

For those of you that don't know Steve he is a charger for sure. His passion for windsurfing and particularly the big Nor Cal waves of wintertime is an inspiration to us all. Can't count how many times he raced back from the ski slopes to hit maxed out Waddell. He's been on it for many years.

Could have been any one of us in a bad situation at any time. Thanks to those that saved him. Heroic.

See you soon Steve,

-Jaipal
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Will be forever thankful that he lived for us."

My favorite quote from the rescuers account. Being a hero is putting your heart on the line to help someone else.
From one waterman to all those who helped you can share my waves anytime.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
Love the subject of this post. It should adorn the cover of The National Inquirer.

Zombie Steve?
dperzinski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day before Steve's mishap at Waddell, I had an hard lesson there.
In about 2 feet or less of water, I got caught under my sail. My board was pounding into the sand so I figured the mast was toward the sea. I swam North and then a wave shifted my sail even more North. I then swam South and a wave came and shifted my sail that way. I tried swimming North again and the same thing happened. So, I shoved my face into the bottom of my sail and took a big breath. Lucky for me there was some air there. Next try, I got out. What a pisser, and in two feet of water.

By the way, white water has a lot of air in it and you can breath it in a pinch. If you've only got a few seconds left of breath, the time to take that breath is in the white water, not when the white water passes. This is not to give anyone a false sense of security. But better white water than green.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about white water. If you've ever been in big Hawaii surf, you can't even get to the top of white water, so you've got to be quick, but steady at gulping some air before the next one. If you are too fast you suck in a lot of water. and that stinks.

How is Steve? Is he sailing again?
bob1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Waddell the day after Steve's incident . . .

The waves were small, but the beach had been so built up by sand over summer that there was (still is??) a very steep slope at the shoreline. It was deceiving because the size of the surf was so small, but the slope made for a very strong receding current. I almost got pulled down a couple times while standing and reorienting my rig after riding a wave -- was tough to jibe in short shallows of abbreviated impact zone. Another friend actually got pulled down and sucked under his sail in similar fashion that afternoon.

Hopefully, the beach has or will return to less dramatic slope with the onset of the fall swells, however, I assume larger waves will only augment this danger in the short term. Just be wary . . .
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steep shoreline, gotta clear the sail and rig on entry and exit, as the backwash heading DOWN the beach towards the water can be extremly strong. Keep the rig upright, clew clear, and the board up off the water.
If I were in "2' " of water, pinned, I'd push off the bottom, first thing, or push up on the sail. I can't swim effectively in two feet of water.
Chalk it up to experience and learning.
You guys ever sail Floras Lake, in the surf? Steep beach, big outgoing wash that came up the beach, same thing.
OceanBeachSF does the same at high tides, as does Montara, Venice, and KellySt. HMB beaches.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: