myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
so we are thinking about moving to Hood River....or Portland
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfalex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: so we are thinking about moving to Hood River....or Portland Reply with quote

We are considering leaving MN and move to Hood River or Portland. I prefer HR but I know I have to be realistic so here are few questions about Hood River.
How are the schools ? I know that the test scores are not that impressive
Real Estate / new construction : We would probably want to build a new home. But driving around HR, I just did not see a whole lot of new construction
Weather: Compared to Portland, it rains less and it is sunnier. Is it noticeable? Maybe someone that lived in both places can tell.
Family life : We love the outdoors, biking skiing, hiking etc.. Any other aspects that make the area attractive ( or not ) as far as raising a family ?
Work Does most people commute to ptlnd. If so, is traffic bad on I-84> My wife works in social care, I have heard the job market in HR is tough.

Any other input plz post..
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider moving to White Salmon, just across the river from Hood River. WA state has no income tax. Property taxes are a bit less in Klickitat County (about 1.1%) vs. Hood River County (about 1.5%). Do your shopping over in OR where there is no sales tax.

As far as weather - moist air from the west meets cold air from the east and you get ice storms in the winter in the gorge. Portland will be more temperate. Even without ice storms, I would not want to commute to Portland every day. That would be 120 miles, or so, every day.
xxxedge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just PM'd you with my contact information. I'd be happy to share my experience from MN to Portland to HR over the phone with you.
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst drive you will ever do is 84 in the winter. Casscade locks is known for its icy freeway.
combs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I moved out here from Cleveland 5 years ago and have never looked back! We ended up splitting the difference between HR and PDX and bought a home in Washougal, WA. No ice storms, No income tax! Plenty of empty lots in the area to build a new home. If Schools are an issue neighboring Camas has excellent ones.
ramps

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that even if you live in Washington but work in Oregon, you will pay Oregon income tax.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as someone who was educated in CT, the schools here are crap. OR is in the bottom 5 when you look at most respected websites. The TAG programs are virtually non-existent. Most of the $ goes toward bringing up students who are behind and cannot achieve what OR feels is a benchmark amount of knowledge. 50% of kids in HR County are on free or reduced lunches to give you an idea. I think WA has more invested in education than OR, or at least HR County. As someone else said, there are a number of benefits to living just across the river with money and education being at the top of the list. The WA towns get better weather believe it or not. South-facing and just a little away from the HR Valley foothills. I drive all over the Gorge for work every week, so this is practical knowledge I feel comfortable sharing. Feel free to contact me by email or phone for more info. Moving is a big deal. Steve Kaplan 541-806-7838 skwkjk@embarqmail.com
willysurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably best for everybody if you just stay in MN.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of funny people here like Willysurf. We don't all give good advice however. It is a dry humor - you have to acquire a taste for it. But I wasn't kidding about the school district. That was no bullshit.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive on 84 can be a big burden maybe 4-6 days a winter. Mostly it is just tons of rain and lots of standing water. Every few years there is a one-two day period where the highway is shut down from ice. You can either take the road on the WA side, drive around the mountain (on well-plowed snow), or call in sick those days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: