myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didnt get easier access to guns in Colo.
The entire campaign against them concerned background checks. The NRA uses the same tactics as the Mob. If you can't buy a pol you threaten them.
These guys wouldn't take NRA money because the people of Colo supported the background checks.
It was about extortion of public officials, since it made no change in the law.
The people of Co. support checking to see if you are a maniac before selling you a gun. Thousands of psychos and criminals have been found this way, but the NRA really wants to sell them guns anyway.
They used a page from the book by the GOP operative in Fla. who came forward ashamed of the fact that he and other Florida GOP officials openly discussed the various strategies they were using solely for disenfranchising voters. In colo. state elections the voters are spread out and mail votes are important. They prevented that, so fewer people would vote.
Kind of makes you proud to be a GOP American would loves the Constitution except for that one person, one vote foolishness.
Lot of money in selling guns to criminals and the insane.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunman in Washington used a shotgun, not an AR-15 as 1st reported. And the handgun he used was taken off the body of one of his victims. Nothing in proposed national law, California law, or Colorado law would have prevented this tragedy.

In California, almost all guns will now have to be registered. This is insanity. This thing could have been prevented with any currently proposed laws. However, mental fitness tests might have prevented this.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't the NRA say all we need to do is have armed guards at ever single school entrance in the entire USA.

And yet this was a military installation with armed guards at every entrance.

So the NRA wanted us to spend billions that would not increase education in fact decrease the teacher to student ratio. and would not work.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Gunman in Washington used a shotgun, not an AR-15 as 1st reported. And the handgun he used was taken off the body of one of his victims. Nothing in proposed national law, California law, or Colorado law would have prevented this tragedy.

In California, almost all guns will now have to be registered. This is insanity. This thing could have been prevented with any currently proposed laws. However, mental fitness tests might have prevented this.

Do you know that he did NOT have an extended capacity magazine for that shotgun? They are, easily, available for that model and are now illegal for purchase in Colorado.

But, I agree that the new law, in Colorado, regarding magazine sizes may, mostly, be a feel good law.

Mental fitness tests? You know that parity for the treatment of mental illness is part of the ACA you want repealed.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just who is mentally ill and how will they determine that? More importantly how will they pay for it?

In this case it should have been easy to figure it out. He shot the tires out of one of his neighbors car, and he discharged a weapon through the ceiling into another apartment. Furthermore he called the police and complained that voices and noises were threatening him. The Navy gave him top secret clearance anyway.

The Fort Hood shooter was a govt psychologist. Who is going to watch the watchers???? Many in our government, military, and new health care system are incompetent or crazy. I for one cherish my ability to fire my insurance company and doctor. This may not be so easy in the future. I can at least fire back if someone breaks into my house...for the time being.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baja, no need to ask why? It's obvious to most 'outsiders.'

Perhaps the concept of freedom is a little different, elsewhere!
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bajaDean wrote:

. . . . . . . . . .

And the NRA, the righties, and Mikey are mighty proud of those all-American statistics.

A job well done!

coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Just who is mentally ill and how will they determine that? More importantly how will they pay for it?

In this case it should have been easy to figure it out. He shot the tires out of one of his neighbors car, and he discharged a weapon through the ceiling into another apartment. Furthermore he called the police and complained that voices and noises were threatening him. The Navy gave him top secret clearance anyway.

The Fort Hood shooter was a govt psychologist. Who is going to watch the watchers???? Many in our government, military, and new health care system are incompetent or crazy. I for one cherish my ability to fire my insurance company and doctor. This may not be so easy in the future. I can at least fire back if someone breaks into my house...for the time being.

Not necessarily. There is no national data base for mental illness at this time and not under the ACA. Remember, health records are confidential. Criminal records are another matter and should have been reviewed thoroughly.

Predicting future violence, due to mental illness, is not well defined. A recent study showed that recently trained mental health workers were no better at predicting violent behavior than those with no training and highly experienced providers were not much better. And, yet, the NRA lobbies against gun control measures and suggests the solution lies in preventing violence by preventing the mentally ill from obtaining firearms. Guessing is not good policy.

Funny, you believe that the ACA will prevent you from firing your insurance company and I have the opposite opinion. Finally, I can shop for insurance rates without risk of my insurance company rescinding my policy.

Whether you have the option of firing your doctor depends on your insurance plan. But most, if not all, will allow you to change providers. IF you can find a Medicare provider when you need one. This, by the way, has been a problem regardless of the ACA.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of mass shootings are perpetrated by men under 35 who've either sought care for mental illness, or have been contacted by police and therapists for anti social behavior. We don't need mass registration. The felons won't do that.

Simple solution. In the case where police or therapists are contacted, and the behavior is exhibited and verified, weapons should be seized for 1 year. This could be done with a simple restraining order. If someone feels he is capable after the restraining order, he should be made to attend a gun safety course and clearance from a doctor, or wait 1 year. Local gun store could store weapons, just like the hold placed on new ones.

Obviously, domestic violence, or any violent crime should prohibit someone from owning a weapon for at least 10 years, or life if a felony. We don't need registration. We need training paid by gun owners at the point of purchase or online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 102 of 331

Jump to: