myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
oahu sailing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwill808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: oahu sailing Reply with quote

look like there is no forcast for the hawaiian islands on here ???

heading to oahu in november and debating on bringing my windsurfing gear seems hawaiian airlines has implemented a new policy that gear is 100 $

not sure if its worth the hassle to bring it there in november no idea on the wind in that month i ll be staying on the north shore
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I go in peak season I don't take my own gear. The hassle and risk aren't worth it to me, and the rental gear is tuned to local conditions. That's compounded in the winter by iffy winds.

Mike \m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oahu not too windy. Maui winds are a thermal in only a small area.
Most of Maui is light like Oahu.
Rent, but check with Naish in advance. I heard their business has not been good enough to keep them solvent because of light winds,and winter is generally the least.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search back to Oahu windsurfing.
I've listed well over 10 spots that are good for ADVANCED sailors.
Mostly, at 150 lbs., a 5.5 is plenty.
Nov IS the lightest winds, but late Nov. period around Thanksgiving can get you 4 our of 7 days of 5.5 and smaller sails.
bwill808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Search back to Oahu windsurfing.
I've listed well over 10 spots that are good for ADVANCED sailors.
Mostly, at 150 lbs., a 5.5 is plenty.
Nov IS the lightest winds, but late Nov. period around Thanksgiving can get you 4 our of 7 days of 5.5 and smaller sails.

I shall look for your post thanks!!
I am going back for thanksgiving 27th -- dec 8th. Possibly wind window i am super knowledgeable with swell patterns but i was always trying to run from wind when i was surfing. Really have no clue when it's good months are for sailing , why is there no forcast for hawaii

I grew up on the north shore Oahu surfing tried to sail back yards but gave it up after a summer when I was a teen. Now i stopped surfing and purly sail in Oregon.

I rented gear there a few years ago in kailua they had trash bagg maui sails with no windows that sunk like anchors with a 140 liter board, and it cost 80 bucks a day and had to drag it to and from the shop on a cart and sail with japense / european barns on flat water

I am 6 feet 200 pounds and dont ride boards smaller than 95 liters big wave boards are like unicorns to come by

Last edited by bwill808 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
bwill808

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Even when I go in peak season I don't take my own gear. The hassle and risk aren't worth it to me, and the rental gear is tuned to local conditions. That's compounded in the winter by iffy winds.

Mike \m/

peaks season on oahu or maui,,, surf or wind season
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely call Naish Windsurfing in Kailua. I was able to rent a decent 85 liter board and 5.2 two summers ago to sail Diamond Head. I didn't set out to windsurf while there, but the local weather showed a decent wind event so I decided the drive was worth it. It was Smile.

BTW - the Naish shop is like a museum of Robbie's old gear. Very cool.
SAS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on Maui and don't know much about Oahu. However, November anywhere in the islands, even Maui, is unpredictable. I've seen Novembers with almost no good days, and then the next year will have 20 good days. What to do would depend on how many days you're going to be there, whether or not you can rent good gear there, and how appropriate your gear is for Oahu. For example, if I were going for a long time and I had good gear for Oahu I would take it. If I were going for a shorter time and I could rent, I'd do that. Flying w/ windsurf gear is a pain and $$, so it's not worth it for a short trip with unpredictable winds.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Naish Kailua stopped renting gear. The park dept would no longer let them rent right at the beach and the gear was getting damaged hauling it back and forth from the shop. They were selling off all their gear on craigslist a while ago.
I'm pretty sure they were the only ones renting gear. $100 is a pretty good deal to bring your gear, you could rent a Dodge Caravan and chuck it in the back no problems. I'm on Kauai and this place is lousy with rental company Dodge Caravans, I'd assume it's the same on Oahu.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to Maui in the end of October, and I'm not taking any gear, if it's good, I'll rent, otherwise, no biggie. But there should be surf, unlike the summer months, so I'll be stoked with some glassy mornings SUPing.

It's all about Halloween in Lahaina, but don't tell anybody, it's getting crowded,,,,,,,, but we'll be staying w/in stumbling distance. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: