myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing: Front Foot Magic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief Whitevan - quote...'I prefer to go on short runs and see how many gybes/tacks I can do in a specified amount of time.'

The mind boggles! Careful you don't generate a whirlpool, and suck yourself down. Wink

Some of us prefer' long voyages' (unless surfing) and to GO somewhere. But as you say, have fun!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, haha, but I'm not that good.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
My goal has been as Wyatt says to try to rip the front strap off the board
I have actually pulled out a front foot strap insert during a jibe on a 80 cm wide board with outboard straps. But jibing on a FS or FSW board makes things a lot easier - with front footstraps mounted close to the centerline and set wide, toes can cross the centerline, and front foot toe pressure can contribute to the carve.

fxop wrote:
The water "sees" a rubbery, wobbly shape
Any kind of wobble will be a problem in a jibe. Both side-to-side and back-to-front wobble will kill speed and can throw you off. A well balanced stance with weight on both feet (instead of mostly on the back foot) will make it a lot easier to keep the board carve steadily, especially in chop. A lot of advice on jibe initiation is about getting you in such a nicely balanced posture. Spennie's "move the front foot" is one such example.

Spennie wrote:
if you took your front foot out of the strap and put it right behind the mast step, then stepped on it, you'd get even better results. Probably not a good idea while wavesailing, however.
Also not a good idea on slalom boards. I occasionally do this on freeride gear, but stopped trying on slalom boards after a rather nasty catapult.

The orientation of the back foot during the jibe is a related issue, I think. In older jibe videos (e.g. Alan Cadiz), the back foot is set at a right angle to the center line. Newer instruction (e.g. Dasher & ABK) has the back foot angled towards the front at about a 45 degree angle. The forward foot orientation appears to work a lot better, at least on modern gear.
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding why bracing the front foot works so well, look at the attached picture of a Cessna 170. Notice the wing braces. Suppose you remove one brace. How well is the Cessna going to fly? The un-braced wing is going to be a poor, floppy airfoil. The un-braced wing would definitely "know" that something changed.

I've salvaged many jibes that got poorly initiated with resultant bad posture and weight distribution by remembering to raise the front foot. I didn't change anything else except I added bracing to the other side of the board. Now the board is stable and slick, and if I can get my act together I can finish the jibe in style.

fxop

0-cessna-172-flying-m0a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.13 KB
 Viewed:  6610 Time(s)

0-cessna-172-flying-m0a.jpg

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see how the pros do it on big stuff, see:

http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?id=920
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reinforces my suspicions that the raised heel has to do with something unrelated to the strap. Only their very toes are in the strap, so it may as well not be there ... a la Spennie. Raising that heel is simply their way of leaning into the turn, bending zee knees, and driving that knee forward. Curtseying achieves the same thing on smaller boards, IMO. It's also pronounced in these jibes because they're on huge wide boards bouncing through heavy chop in wide turns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: