myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video: Cut-Off Low compresses the NPH and NW wind build.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Video: Cut-Off Low compresses the NPH and NW wind build. Reply with quote

Gang,

The video from 7AM today shows how a huge Cut-Off Low 1000 miles west of California 18,000 ft. aloft is compacting the North Pacific High and its NW wind against the California coast.

For a larger image and details use this link:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/?p=14496

Mike Godsey

Cut-Off LowcompactsNPHs2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  11759 Time(s)

Cut-Off LowcompactsNPHs2.gif

prevett

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

On the blog, the feature titled as an upper level high over Idaho seems to show a counter-clockwise rotation in the water vapor imagery. Seems counter-intuitive to me.

Bob
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

That was a typo or more accurately a mis typed macro. On my computer "ccw" expands into "counter-clockwise spinning". While "cw" expands into "clockwise spinning". I typed "cw" rather than "ccw". All of which is a bit confusing.

At any rate the text was corrected about an hour ago.

I think......

Mike Godsey
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike---I have the same question as prevett---that imagery shows the weather feature labeled as a high over the Nevada/Oregon/Idaho spinning counter-clockwise---which would seem to indicate a low.

NWS-RENO: NO MAJOR ADJUSTMENTS TO THE PRECEDING FORECAST. LOW PRESSURE CONTINUES TO INFLUENCE WESTERN NEVADA TODAY, BUT TO A LESSER EXTENT THAN THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS.

(Just a friendly question....I'm always trying to learn more about the weather and your blog is very instructional.)

CHRIS
csorens

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one over Idaho now is the Low that was impacting us at the beginning of the week. It finally moved inland a day or so ago...
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the careful reading of the blog and pointing out errors regarding the upper low vs the upper level high pressure. I wish I had you guys to proofread all my forecasts.

In retrospect I should not have tried whip out a video and a blog while trying to meet the deadline for all the California forecasts. Nor should I have tried to cover the impact of the Cut-Off Low on the Bay Area AND the Gorge in one blog.

Worse, at the time I was frantically looking out the window at 4.2 winds and big swell at the Hatch all of which made me a bit careless.

As you can see in the imagery below you are correct it was a counter-clockwise spinning upper low over the Great Basin. I was focusing on the upper level high pressure you see in the image that was impacting Gorge winds and I let my prose wander as I kept looking out the window at the building swell.

A vague upper level high pressure near Southern California was impacting the temps in the Central Valley helping raise the pressure gradient. However the upper level low in my video and the imagery below had no direct impact on the Bay Area winds.

Hopefully I have clarified all of this a little. Feel free to nail me on errors anytime. That is the only way I learn.

Mike Godsey.

ZZ596E87C4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.8 KB
 Viewed:  11577 Time(s)

ZZ596E87C4.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
prevett

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications. These forecast blog posts are great, and I have learned a ton from them. If this engineering thing doesn't work out for me, I feel like I am almost qualified as an entry-level weather forecaster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: