myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how nessesary a board bag is when transporting your board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willysp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: how nessesary a board bag is when transporting your board Reply with quote

I know that it might sound as a dumb question but if you are carrying your board on the roof rack, do you want to use a bag or not ? I feel that without it, it is more secure (the straps are in direct contact with the board). I've seen a lot of people carrying several boards in multi racks without bags so I started wondering.
I was checking out the thule carriers and it seems that were design to carry the surf and SUP boards without a bag.
I'm asking this because I am going to make special rack mounts for my board and it wouldn't be the same design if I use a bag or not...
thanks,
Willy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing uv radiation is a big factor in that choice. Bag it.

OTOH, so is IR radiation (which heats up most board bags). Leave it naked (or use a silver bag).

Or white, which often reflects more heat than silver.

Then there's bugs and flying debris.

No answers here, just considerations.

Best of all worlds: a van.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a dumb question. I wondered the same thing when I started cartopping my boards. A board bag will protect your board from road debris, but it will also flop around in the wind. I have taken two separate boards from Louisiana to Michigan and back on two separate trips. The first trip I just my Starboard Start to the rack and it was fine. The second trip I had my Kona in a board sock. Same trip and it was also fine. You have to be careful not to overcrank your straps. On long trips I do a backup lashing as a second line of defense in case my straps fail. The EVA seems to recover from strap indentations. I worry most about a rock coming off a truck and directly impacting my board. I have replaced several windshields because of this. I don't know how much a bag would protect against a direct hit. It would depend on the thickness of the bag. If I had unlimited funds I would have bags for all my boards, but I don't travel long distances very often so it comes down to priorities. I take my chances.
willysp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies. This rack is going to be on a trailer that I'm pulling with my car so the concern about debris is highly reduced. I will decide later.
Thanks,
Willy
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willysp wrote:
This rack is going to be on a trailer that I'm pulling with my car so the concern about debris is highly reduced.

Or increased, maybe? Cars kick up a surprising amount of debris. Much depends on how clear your roadways are and how many trucks may kick up or jettison even more serious crap into the air. I've lost at least a dozen windshields (and a hood and grille) to road debris and/or sandstorms, any one of which would have chipped or really mangled a bare board.

If you have good swap meets nearby, used board bags are cheap insurance. And speaking of swap meets, I very often see boards clearly scuffed by rack straps. I don't care (much), but some people worry about that. OTOH, bags and their straps often snag on racks when loading/unloading.

You say your rack design depends on whether you use bags. I've designed and fabricated many racks for many vehicles and a trailer, and suggest that you allow for changes of your mind and your boards. Even something as simple as thick rack padding can accommodate a variety of board and bag thicknesses without having to make mechanical adjustments.

Mike \m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a cheap bag or just wrap it. Most damage done to your board happens in transport or putting it in and out of the water.
Surface can look slightly mussed but OK while the foam inside is crushed and you would never know.
Start ,konas and other EPA boards are different.
The only downside is the flapping.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What flapping do you guys keep talking about? Do you have bags that are too large for your board?

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bag has to be tight to prevent flapping for sure. On my Kona, the bag doesn't looks too large to me. However, it will eventually bunch up just a bit underneat and start to flap between the rack bars. There is no fold of fabric, but the bag manages to move away and against the board. I now use a bungee cord wrapped around the bag in that spot to prevent the noisy flapping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: