myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet X Cross vs Kona 11.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Exocet X Cross vs Kona 11.5 Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on X Cross 130 vs Kona 11.5 for Great Lakes Waves (ie onshore mayhem) with Superfreak 8.0 and 6.3 (190lbs).

Not really into wave riding (wave period is so close), but just bump and jump and blasting around.

I have the 11.5 Carbon and love it. Wondering if the X Cross would work and maybe plane a little earlier and be a little more lively in the bump and jump (jumping a 11.5 is an 'avoid at all costs' activity)

John I - I await your informed response!

Regards,
Joe

PS I started to run the mast base near the front on the 11.5 and it is a huge difference on the low end and just sails better allround)
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny that, ive started running the mast pretty much all the way back on mine, as well as the fin, and i find its been much better that way., especially i think having the fin farther back.
id guess it depends on sails and footstrap positions too,

i was also debating getting a smaller freeride board as opposed to the kona 11 5, in the end i figured the 130ish size is just kinda in between, so i just ordered a new exocet curve 11 5, as mine old one was getting a bit worn, and beat.
ive found its pretty easy to go right from the 11' 5', down to my 110l board no problem. and now that i have a backup 11' 5'', i can try jumping the old one a bit more. should be interesting.

jlooby

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that response - no deal!

Understood & 10-4.

(w8n4wind - I'll try moving my fin back & mast base next time out)

Joe
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the short mast track without side bites, right?

there have been several construction options on the 11'5 over the years. any with a long track need the base set pretty far back. the one with the shorter track needs to be set forward.

X-Cross 130 is more of a bump and jump style board, jibes great, needs a larger than stock fin, base all the way back. sails best totally lit. will deliver side off wave sailing performance on those rare occasions too.

11'5 is a real show stopper in florida onshore ugly conditions from 12-22 mph. not a great jumper, not as fast as the X-cross 130.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fin forward provides better lift and turning. quite the paradox. fin back is only for jagged, pushy, super fast breaks.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on, jlooby, i'll pay the freight.....
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the board im using is the older, i think '08, no sidebites.

jlooby, the last couple of times using it was when i tried both mast and fin pretty much back. the conditions were very light and gusty inside where the waves were breaking, and then a very distinct windline where i was very powered on a 6.2 and then a 7.2. the water was very choppy out there.
what i found so far in those powered choppy conditions, with both base and fin back, the board just seemed to ride much smoother, and with no tendency to head up into the wind too far, but was still very easy to ride back upwind.
same with the jibes, i just found it much smoother.. maybe didnt turn as quick? i dont know. i like the long cool arcs it carves anyway .

typically, up until lately, ive just been setting the mast track at about 1/3-1/2 way, and the fin towards the front because i thought it needed it for upwind, and turning.
anyway, im now finding it well worth experimenting with.

the new board that i just ordered and is on the way has the sidebites..not sure how necessary those are ? will find out soon though.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fin back depowers a board. adds bite in really steep stuff. yup, smooths out the gusts at the expense of early planing. if one is maxing a board out in its applicable wind conditions, then fin back worx.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: