myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Problem with sheeting in after the sail flip
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantcantsail

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Problem with sheeting in after the sail flip Reply with quote

Assuming Ive actually managed to get thru the jibe planing (never a problem on my usual poor not planing exits) I have this ongoing problem where after the flip I try and sheet in and..... aaaagh..... go in to windward. Im guessing Im not turning enough but my head sort of hurts thinking about it. I think I read somewhere the mast is on the wrong side of the board (for sure its slightly to windward) but Im not sure what to do with that observation.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have entered too slow (likely), slowed down too much (HIGHLY likely), turned too far back upwind (less likely at your carve rate unless you're deliberately waiting for the wind to jibe the sail for you), and/or waited far too long to jibe the sail. Improve all those -- enter faster, spend less time and space running downwind, jibe your sail yourself forcefully rather than waiting for the wind to do it for you, jibe your sail sooner, sheet in and accelerate by the time your board barely passes dead downwind -- and your planing exit rate should increase very quickly.

Last edited by isobars on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grant- if the sail is "slicing" into the wind without any power, you need to simply grab the new side of the boom further back. Aim for getting your front hand as close to the harness lines as you can get it, and your back hand way back towards the tail of the boom. That way if you only get halfway there, you're still in a pretty decent position Laughing

http://wind-nc.com
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many folks fail to continue the foot work through the jibe so the turn comes up short.
Another possibilty.is that you are not leaning the sail sharply forward after the turn. This will bring the boom within reach.
This is often not mentioned because not everyone needs to do it and most others don't think of it as a distinct move , they just do it.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Save my answer above for when you start getting tossed leeward or over the nose exiting a jibe. Are you saying you're exiting planing with your feet already switched but have not yet jibed the sail, then fall backwards/upwind when trying to jibe it? Then you're REALLY jibing the sail FAR too late, unless you are baaaaaaaarely powered enough to juuuuuust plane in the gusts on a broad reach. If that's the case, you may have no choice but to milk the sail for power the way through, then very forcefully spin the sail when you get a gust later on. Once you get better at spinning the sail (Throw, Throw, Grab, and Go) about its own axis, you can do that at the moment your sail loses power at mid-jibe, then exit sheeted in on the new broad reach.

Of course, this presumes you're on something under a 7.5. Is that the case?

Mike \m/
grantcantsail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really only happens when Im for sure exiting the jibe with speed (I have plenty of cases with no speed to compare it to:)). Can almost predict its going to happen now. I think the mast is over on the "new" side of the board (maybe too far?) and I'm sort of focused on reaching back on the boom to overcome the problem but no dice. Ive also switched my feet by now. The rig absolutely DRIVES DOWN into the water and just takes me with it. Maybe Im bit back on the board with the sail in these cases though as I have a general problem keeping forward in the turn but in these cases speed is up pretty good for me. So anyway thats the symptom I need a cure.
grantcantsail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup -its usually powered up a cambered 5.3 that rotates easily on a 100l slalom board. My jibes for sure take too long at this point but it is what it is. This normally happens on what I would consider a solid entry and carve.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The rig absolutely DRIVES DOWN into the water and just takes me with it

Windward side or leeward side of the board?
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodadandy said:
Hi Grant- if the sail is "slicing" into the wind without any power, you need to simply grab the new side of the boom further back. Aim for getting your front hand as close to the harness lines as you can get it, and your back hand way back towards the tail of the boom. That way if you only get halfway there, you're still in a pretty decent position

This is a fantastic tip, it really works!
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like initiating the sail flip too late. When you do a good entry and carve, a fair proportion of the turn occurs during the sail flip, and then it comes to you at the right time. Of course, like me, it is unpredictable when the smooth fast carve will happen. Flipping early on a stalled carve leaves you hanging on to luffed sail, then fall. Dhmark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: