myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gybe tip: let the sail pull you into the turn
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, what the heck are you arguing about? We apparently AGREE that the purpose of flexing the front ankle is not to lift that rail, as so many were taught and still claim in prior threads and published tutorials, but instead to remind us or maybe even aid us in getting into a good jibing stance and initiating the carve. I keep trying to shovel dirt on the rail-lift idea, and your agreement above may benefit people stuck on that concept and encourage their graduation from dependency on it.

As for initiating and maintaining the carve, I find the hip thrust a much less gimmicky, far simpler, more elegant, more versatile, and much quicker alternative to the cumbersome, overcomplicated, and constraining step jibe learning technique you seem stuck on. For me, thinking hips does far more than thinking ankles, partly because we can lift our heel without any effect beyond well lifting our heel. Thrusting our hips forward and downwind, however, carves like crazy, heels or no heels. Your denial of that very effective and much simpler alternative implies we should never strive to improve our techniques. I see many very fluid Gorge sailors carving beautiful turns with their hips, and many beginning and advancing jibers have thanked me for getting them past the step jibes barriers, especially in fast, rough conditions on appropriately small boards. What, OTOH, is the most common factor in the thousands of stalled jibes I see every day? The canned, mechanical, rote, wait-til-the-wind-flips-the-sail step jibe.

I got past the step jibe decades ago, long before WSMag discussed ABKs advancement to boom-to-boom jibing, and have since helped many other WSers get past it. Sure, Id learn from ABK instruction across the board, but the reasons I dont bother were beaten to death several times in the past, so youre just trolling with that comment.

As for your puzzling claims of intimate knowledge of my jibing skills ... Why dont you tell us how fast my jibe entry and exits are, and, more fascinating, how you would know?

Also, Im glad you have the prerequisites for good balance: proprioception in your legs, 3-D vision with depth perception, and two inner ears; maybe you can tell the worlds physicians and physical therapists how to restore those to repair my balance and return my jibe consistency to its former status? Hell, Id settle for just walking without falling down frequently and bumping into walls several times daily. Can ABK do that for me?

Can you?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, PP, this is an excerpt -- < one tenth of one percent -- from ABK's online tutorials:
Yx^O]4,GoƝ٦kKؘW=9* 5 |BL[r\ 3O1Cpe-;z֖3%u^NcH?AIoϊ5s,Kh/e6MF >lJS}k{hMU%Ǹ>iSw&/bĸ D@:3tK[鮮RIOj"}x [H|Nϳ wJ.̯o]=6uU6F'^z-SlRIH2qיjt ojz`Hd:8"A|ryq'sv:c[;'tW坦qjb^xNo bDB@==+໹EፏGӌ\Q|;3[V>WM;^Wl,c- pErvoL>C泼d_HJ5 vto2T|Cӭn{;;!#n  ORcoB β0=sbAAzuoxjy{vg4_ԥwGvnoEO'5xz=K\W#"L0V?vջNCYfVg@@ӑcQUD?tIEs%N͝$gXLqW?g *9,q֭HQOb5=ƙu:eI Ox zU{,tR++]fNk[cvΊ"@ *W52-fxh4"G]k[#fa ͅQKlQo-csA"={>T$]CbnӯX XCWm඀DJe PN:ӣӥT匰#U6zK-|,]˩di;;sO&Ү巒#u]pɌ<љ2$-ӬJ+{TzE[ 逐 )mcZ]sFbXp?ɢɰsxKcorzy t=k) qgplK=g ܤ=+ӳ¦QT_rs0i~$˶Oi~Bj*Sڹϥ6\_r^pkO\[_Y??~UQVIl'KLмGڛ{]Vk9XҢ"Y?n 6ۏ\EK{nA:ԯypI9tQDF*;,^f:{uM+{#%gRI=uUD8sxkZJMFz++kFSKd}kJUe%aqN?JK!a"6{Qk>]G 75G70{81mS|?ofd[;`y)5^z*\6ץQB$3>^xkZH3;0op$R {Wj2KEyԞ=%Fֱ;Mox>_ o)j;ʺj(u$ ?l [{Mj Ok?Vu+YC+݋nފY5`G! x^LMީ<fFbsdg#u7v^ZmpJ8Rrwe(kZt YD;FH56 bjڍݴK JWwES&O"9*iu4gq1Z<uTRcFw<+K;+GEklKeB́<OY%]<BUss[\ݦQ A̓G 3n!wwq5aU% ܵ\NWI~'J>D97C(sF:+wsϹs[TT򣔇KH:DwD'Y`j>w wG\8O*34X.t/sreTW߁Ԛ-X!few؂GW詾ɧrj\GcIZ9' 9QEW/.Tj+7=VGt;k |W#О]mՊ)964 endstream endobj 4 0 obj << /Length 5 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> stream xZɊ$77?ymJ`4<3}[Y",|0 }Pj xߓ~1/vJ,?O]>~>???ef6e~ɦ9ߦ?}Iu~9Pv /F9sp]a#ΈU>_<\ ' ݳm塳Vs\#7 5NM9n*7_xLO<7`{)lV(P! rAc`+6Ш x \.-05A`3nT߀
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
BTW, PP, this is an excerpt -- < one tenth of one percent -- from ABK's online tutorials:
Yx^O]4,GoƝ٦kKؘW=9* 5 |BL[r\ 3O1Cpe-;z֖3%u^NcH?AIoϊ5s,Kh/e6MF >lJS}k{hMU%Ǹ>iSw&/bĸ D@:3tK[鮮RIOj"}x [H|Nϳ wJ.̯o]=6uU6F'^z-SlRIH2qיjt ojz`Hd:8"A|ryq'sv:c[;'tW坦qjb^xNo bDB@==+໹EፏGӌ\Q|;3[V>WM;^Wl,c- pErvoL>C泼d_HJ5 vto2T|Cӭn{;;!#n  ORcoB β0=sbAAzuoxjy{vg4_ԥwGvnoEO'5xz=K\W#"L0V?vջNCYfVg@@ӑcQUD?tIEs%N͝$gXLqW?g *9,q֭HQOb5=ƙu:eI Ox zU{,tR++]fNk[cvΊ"@ *W52-fxh4"G]k[#fa ͅQKlQo-csA"={>T$]CbnӯX XCWm඀DJe PN:ӣӥT匰#U6zK-|,]˩di;;sO&Ү巒#u]pɌ<љ2$-ӬJ+{TzE[ 逐 )mcZ]sFbXp?ɢɰsxKcorzy t=k) qgplK=g ܤ=+ӳ¦QT_rs0i~$˶Oi~Bj*Sڹϥ6\_r^pkO\[_Y??~UQVIl'KLмGڛ{]Vk9XҢ"Y?n 6ۏ\EK{nA:ԯypI9tQDF*;,^f:{uM+{#%gRI=uUD8sxkZJMFz++kFSKd}kJUe%aqN?JK!a"6{Qk>]G 75G70{81mS|?ofd[;`y)5^z*\6ץQB$3>^xkZH3;0op$R {Wj2KEyԞ=%Fֱ;Mox>_ o)j;ʺj(u$ ?l [{Mj Ok?Vu+YC+݋nފY5`G! x^LMީ<fFbsdg#u7v^ZmpJ8Rrwe(kZt YD;FH56 bjڍݴK JWwES&O"9*iu4gq1Z<uTRcFw<+K;+GEklKeB́<OY%]<BUss[\ݦQ A̓G 3n!wwq5aU% ܵ\NWI~'J>D97C(sF:+wsϹs[TT򣔇KH:DwD'Y`j>w wG\8O*34X.t/sreTW߁Ԛ-X!few؂GW詾ɧrj\GcIZ9' 9QEW/.Tj+7=VGt;k |W#О]mՊ)964 endstream endobj 4 0 obj << /Length 5 0 R /Filter /FlateDecode >> stream xZɊ$77?ymJ`4<3}[Y",|0 }Pj xߓ~1/vJ,?O]>~>???ef6e~ɦ9ߦ?}Iu~9Pv /F9sp]a#ΈU>_<\ ' ݳm塳Vs\#7 5NM9n*7_xLO<7`{)lV(P! rAc`+6Ш x \.-05A`3nT߀

And so we see the reason why you don't seem to get the ABK method. Heck I don't get it from reading your notes either. Laughing
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the "up and over" idea:

I like it as an exercise. I was watching Guy Cribb's DVD and on one of his jibes he did a pull up to get over the board, regripped further back with his back hand, then leaned into the jibe and he was off and running.

When you do your pull up you have the back arm in a good strong position to control the back of the sail. Just let the front arm stretch out a little as you enter and you are in a great position.

I always suffered from "micro-sheetout syndrome.". As I leaned into the turn I would keep the back arm too straight. The sail would sheet out momentarily, the carving rail would skip, and now I'm in recovery mode. If super OP then I might have to abort and try again 200 yds closer to the Farallones or Molokai.

I like Guy's DVD. To me his jibes look more like the experts I see in the real world. Plus he has all the instructional materials on the web. He seems to be working hard at the pedagogical side of windsurfing and given the state of things he deserves a gold star.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: