myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gybe tip: let the sail pull you into the turn
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascott72

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Gybe tip: let the sail pull you into the turn Reply with quote

An often over-looked tip: Let the sail pull you over your board and into the turn

I was reminded of it in a recent post and played with it again my last session out. with great results. I have done it before but somehow I always seem to forget about it and resort back to focussing on the oversheeting and the footsteering.

But if you let the sail pull you over the board... all that stuff happens automatically: oversheeting, steering, getting your weight forward. It's like magic. It can be a little scary letting your weight come up and over the center line like that given we are so used to leaning away from the forces in the sail, but centrifugal force will hold you up. It's a real cool feeling.

Now if I can just make it a habit.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's centripetal force, an inward force. however, this centripetal force is actually the sum of gravitational forces and normal forces on our body.

sorry, but I get to see my students for the first time this Monday and am getting in to the instructional mode. Very Happy
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gybe tip: let the sail pull you into the turn Reply with quote

ascott72 wrote:
An often over-looked tip: Let the sail pull you over your board and into the turn

Ascott, if anything you undersell it (as a "tip"). To plane through a jibe it's a fundamental. Doing it smoothly is what allows us to plane through when less than fully powered.

I know what you mean about making it a habit...it's counterintuitive. We want to do things...use our muscles...while the jibe sail pull forward is a controlled relaxing of muscles (keep hips in, chin up, head outside the turn, extend front arm forward and into the turn). Also, it's the hardest thing to do when walking through the jibe on dry land (we fall forward.)

Outstanding "tip"!

spennie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call that the "up & over". A quick tug with the back hand, up & over! Good tip, as is keeping the front arm straight. It was described to me as "shooting pool", with the back hand pulled in (over-sheeting).
Gazman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly remember when learning to downhill ski back in the eighties how much my carved turns improved when I conquered the fear of 'falling downhill' (down the fall line), and how much better my gybing became (around the same era) when I utilized the same body commitment in my windsurfing turns. In my opinion, letting the body commit to the fall of the slope whilst carving a turn on downhill skis is so similar to allowing the body to be pulled forward over the board and into the turn by the sail.

Last edited by Gazman on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
dhmark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the high school nerd coming out in me (I'm now 57). Isn't the force holding you on the board centrifugal force (force outward) against the centripetal force of the board carving (force inward), the vectors of gravity (down) and outward (horizontal) keeping you planted on the diagonally slanted board (+ friction [nonskid])? sorry if I am wrong..... dhmark
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Dasher's 12 Step Jibe video for an excellent presentation of this move....and more....

KMF
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark,
there is no such thing as centrifugal force (it is known as in inertial force which is not a real force and is only felt when you are in an accelerating frame of reference, or as an apparent force) which would be an outward force. how can an outward force push you into a turn when everything accelerates in the direction of the net force on you.

the real force is centripetal force - an inward force which pushes you into a turn. the board gives you a normal force which balances the gravitational force, but when you bank the board, a component of the normal force (plus sail forces) pull you into the turn. same thing when skiing. the forces on you in a turn are not balanced, hence you turn. if all the forces were balanced, you would go in a straight line.

btw, we're both 57, but I've been a "nerd" my whole life. which to me just means I'm interested in how things work in the universe.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not working for you?
Try reverse sheeting, widely used on wave faces when doing linked turns.
Over sheet your back hand and hold that. Sheet in and out with your front.
You will find it operates in reverse.
Out with the front is sheeting in.
In with the front is sheeting out.
Confused? Just try this as you enter the jibe fully sheeted. Extend your front arm even more than usual and see what happens. The front of the sail wants to lay down and you will feel the sail pulling you through the turn more than in the past.
This is not a lay down jibe. For that you extend both arms for a moment to bleed off speed. Thommen told me that Dunkerbeck invented that move to slow quickly in racing turns but found it also enhanced the effect the OP is discussing
watermonkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me back this up a bit: you're hanging hard in the harness, unhook, then hang down/out again to keep control...how does one go from pulling down on the booms to pushing with the front hand and maintain that downforce? Or for that matter, stay bent at the knees while going "up and over"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: