myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
help adding fin box on a bic sup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: help adding fin box on a bic sup Reply with quote

I'd like to add or have somebody add, a fin box to be used as a center fin on my Bic 10'6 wind sup.

It's a great family board but for teaching windsurfing the absence of a dagger board or center fin makes it difficult for noobs to stay upwind.

It's the Ace-Tec construction, very similar to the Techno series of freeride boards, not sure if that makes it any different than other boards.

Any advice or information resources would be welcomed.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few bits of advice. When starting the work, remove all of the Ace-Tec or ABS finish by sanding down to the epoxy layer. That way, you will have an epoxy to epoxy bond when you laminate the finbox in. In choosing to best finbox type, I would consider using a US box instead of a cavity type like a Powerbox or Tuttle finbox. It will make the installation a lot simpler because you don't need to worry about laminating the finbox to the deck of the board. While I wouldn't recommend the US box if you were dealing with the main finbox in the rear of the board, the fact that your target is for beginners in low winds to improve stability and directional ability makes the choice practical.
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17522

I posted this 4 years ago for a removeable center fin held on with suction cups, but the link no longer exists. I thought it was a good idea, wouldn't have to cut up the board. dhmark
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may go wrong. If it came in my shop we would advise you to keep the board you love and do this to a trash board or not at all.
More water time would work also.
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone posted pictures of home-made suction center board. I'd just use a real fin.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/General/Gear-for-Kids/

dhmark
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, with a suction cup device like that it just might work. So, the idea sucks, but in a good way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: