myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need Advice on board and Rig
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finding an old race board like the ultra cat, equipe or lightning is getting tougher as they have nearly all been sailed to splinters by now. getting a planing long board today requires a quick hand in the classifieds, because they go quickly.

there are some faded and quite used kona one's that may be available at kona dealers that have sailing clubs. the RRD longrider is another one to keep your eyes open for. windSUP 11'8" or 10' are also great boards. kona/curve 11'5" have broad applications too.

long boards also allow one to use a larger sail, with comfort and fun, in a wider range of winds. most everything listed above would feel best for nearly every weight class with a 6.5 sail or larger. when one puts a 5.7 or smaller, long boards respond slower to sail power applications for steering and transitioning.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
lenthomas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: thanks again for all the good advice Reply with quote

I will try again with the Maui Sails AWOL 5.5 again. I do like the sail. I like the shape and the double cams above and below the boom. It rotates very easily as well. I did try the Ultra Shark (125 Liter) board with the 6.4 Bic sail. I was able to go out and back a few times, and went so fast it scared the hell out of me, awesome, but still felt a bit overpowered in 12 knots. However , it offered plenty of floatation to uphaul, was just a little more tippy than I am used to. In going with the 5.5 M sail would you all recommend sticking to the Bic Samba (170 Liter) or give the 125 liter Ultra Shark another chance. Thanks for all your help. You all are AWESOME !!
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stick with the least tippy board with the smallest sail in the flatest water I can find until I learned enough about exactly where I need to be to easily uphaul the sail. Then I would use the same board to learn the same thing with the larger sail. Then start over with the other board.

An early 90's Equipe is 67 cm at the widest point, wider than the 64 cm of a Bic Samba or the 59 cm of a 125L Fanatic Ultra Shark. The fore & aft areas of where you can stand and uphaul a sail are much shorter on the Samba & Shark than on an Equipe. With more time on the water you'll quickly learn where those places are.

You are re-learning windsurfing on more difficult equipment. I think you should pat yourself on the back for the success you've had so far.

I saw a MyTrims reference that said the suggested wind range for a 125L Ultra Shark was 15 - 30 knots.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too had gotten out of windsurfing for a time, and so much has changed since the '80's and 90's! I too live in an area that gets light wind, and much of the time no wind, so I decided on a wind surfable paddle board.

I paddle it mostly in the summer months because winds are so light, and I enjoy it! It helps keeps me in shape. On days where it's 5-15 I put a 5.8 wave sail on it and practice tacking, freestyle etc. It is so much more fun than my old F2 Strato that I hardly use it anymore. At 85 cm. wide it is very stable and easy to sail, and at 10 ft. in length it glides well in light wind. I've never owned a board that I can use so often, and enjoy so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: