myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IRRESPONSIBLE KITER 8-15-2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kite, it's kinda like a more versatile spinnaker.

;*)

-Craig

yargerd wrote:
whitevan01 wrote:
yargerd wrote:

Kiting and windsurfing are the same to me. You have a sail like thing and you cruise around during your leisure time.

a kite is NOT a "sail like thing" IMO. there, I said it. can't stand the things, though the people mostly seem to be ok.

Sure it is. It's an airfoil that is designed to provide force for a guy riding a board. A sail like thing.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, both are airfoils, but sails are attached to spars, kites are not.

from Google dictionary (it's on the internet, so it has to be correct, right? Twisted Evil ) - "a piece of material extended on a mast to catch the wind and propel a boat, ship, or other vessel."
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
With all his criminals need to be arrested and macho take the law into his own hands talk why did isobrave not follow this guy and beat him up or at least do a citizens arrest?

When have I advocated taking the law into my own hands?
On the contrary, I have often very specifically discouraged that.

Here are some of the relevant Oregon statutes:
§ 133.225¹
Arrest by private person

(1) A private person may arrest another person for any crime committed in the presence of the private person if the private person has probable cause to believe the arrested person committed the crime. A private person making such an arrest shall, without unnecessary delay, take the arrested person before a magistrate or deliver the arrested person to a peace officer.

(2) In order to make the arrest a private person may use physical force as is justifiable under ORS 161.255 (Use of physical force by private person making citizens arrest). [1973 c.836 §74]161.255¹
Use of physical force by private person making citizens arrest

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, a private person acting on the persons own account is justified in using physical force upon another person when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes it necessary to make an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of an arrested person whom the person has arrested under ORS 133.225 (Arrest by private person).

(2) A private person acting under the circumstances prescribed in subsection (1) of this section is justified in using deadly physical force only when the person reasonably believes it necessary for self-defense or to defend a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force. [1971 c.743 §31; 1973 c.836 §339]

Had the kiter's target been my wife, the attacks would have been stopped. However, I did nothing for several reasons, including:
It wasn't me or any of my friends getting attacked. If other capable adults won't protect their own, I'm not likely to butt in.

I was on shore, in street clothes, just passing by. I watched for maybe 30 minutes, stunned that no one was taking any action.

My criteria for going through what George Zimmeman did and still is do not include strangers.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperNuker wrote:
1. I think most parents would protect their children and spouses from criminals and or harm.

2. But a guy running into you in the water is an accident. No one is purposely running into folks ...

3. and if they are or did, they don't last long out there.

4. Yes, it sucks if they run into you and don't check to make sure everything is ok. But I don't think I'd be calling cops over this.

5. Not familiar with the spear incident but if it were on purpose, that's a big problem

6. so different from someone accidentally running into someone else out there.

1. Key word: most. Three cases to the contrary:

Little kids playing in shallow water a few feet from shore. Kites launching just upwind in winds of 0 to 20 mph, lines repeatedly dropping into the "kiddie pool" then snapping tight again. Parents advised of danger, ignored it, so I did, too. Not sure I’d be so complacent next time.

Rigged sail lying on ground by itself in winds of 10-40 mph with brick wall 20 feet downwind. Toddler playing on sail. Parents advised of danger, then again, then asked to remove kid from sail. Nothing. Sail owner asks kid to get off sail, kid puckers up, parents get angry because their kid is upset. Never mind that he could get killed at any moment, as far as they know.

Military officer trainee admits he would not physically defend his wife or kids from violence because violence is wrong. Kicked out of Officer Training School.

2. You have not been keeping up, have you? Who do you think we’re talking about in this and several other threads … guy who forgot to look before they jibed? No: lawbreakers recklessly endangering bystanders or CRIMINALS committing ADW.

3. You really need to read more threads before making blanket statements contrary to the facts.

4. I’ve never seen anyone even suggest this. In fact, just the opposite is all that’s been suggested. My GOD, but does anyone ever actually read what they’re responding to?

5. The local stood up, took careful aim at the WSer, fired, and the spear entered his hull near the sailor. The cops refused to act because the shooter was a local and the WSer a haole, the vic’s wife had to threaten legal action to get ANY response from the cops.

6. So is this thread.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP wrote:
how do we know if someone "deliberately attacks" or if it's just an accident...?

Fact is, we don't know enough about this tragic situation to know what really happened or what the motives were. All we do know is that someone got injured, some gear got broke, and someone left the scene without making sure the other person was alright. That is not acceptable, but still not a reason for a lawsuit.

For starters ... Witnesses, shouted threats, repeated attempts, and cursing out the victim for being in the jumper's way come to mind.

We DO know (allegedly) that this perp left the scene. Considering the threat to an injured person lying in the water, yes ... that is both legal and moral grounds for civil and/or criminal action.
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When have I advocated taking the law into my own hands? "

From this topic alone:

"And that's just the legal solution."
"If courts will not prosecute reckless actions that endanger bystanders, our alternatives are obvious. "
"This crap's got to stop and iKitesurf refuses to even post items like this, so our only recourses are the courts and/or on-scene."
"The other obvious solution is to render those dangerous lawbreakers physically incapable of repeating their crimes or misdemeanors, but that solution can land US in jail."

"It's time someone went to the other extreme and put one of these miscreants in prison for a few years after taking a few hundred thousand dollars out of their pockets."
I guess that doesn`t include you. You sure can talk the talk.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
isobars wrote:
"When have I advocated taking the law into my own hands? "

From this topic alone:

"And that's just the legal solution."
"If courts will not prosecute reckless actions that endanger bystanders, our alternatives are obvious. "
"This crap's got to stop and iKitesurf refuses to even post items like this, so our only recourses are the courts and/or on-scene."
"The other obvious solution is to render those dangerous lawbreakers physically incapable of repeating their crimes or misdemeanors, but that solution can land US in jail."

All four of those are very explicitly and deliberately statements of fact, not advocacy. Your fourth example, in fact, explicitly warns against extralegal solutions.

philodog wrote:
"It's time someone went to the other extreme and put one of these miscreants in prison for a few years after taking a few hundred thousand dollars out of their pockets."
I guess that doesn`t include you.

What crime have I committed?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
Either get back to work or go sail the hatch, its windy.

In my case, "work" means having to rig several sails, and the latest estimate of my return to the water is late 2014 or early 2015 unless I just wrap my knee in carbon and hope what's left of it will support my weight.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the isobass are biting.
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To borrow from the Wizard of Oz:

isobars.jpeg
 Description:
isobars
 Filesize:  29.71 KB
 Viewed:  9067 Time(s)

isobars.jpeg

Mike F.jpg
 Description:
Mike F.
 Filesize:  54.6 KB
 Viewed:  9067 Time(s)

Mike F.jpg

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: