myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed shortboards in SF Bay since 1983.
Always used single bolt, rubber joint bases.
ONE failure total, in close to 3,000 days. I'd tightened my brass slug base really tight, because the full EVA deck on my Tiga251 always allowed the base to untwist, so the brass broke.
I buy a base every 10 years, but often use old bases discarded by other sailors more safety conscious.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Washoe today Reply with quote

1985?; no, today! One of the kiters bought some old gear off Craigs and was teaching some folks. With heavy smoke in the area made for a great old school look. Wind was half-A.

20130822_183141.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  468.45 KB
 Viewed:  12512 Time(s)

20130822_183141.jpg

veterduet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Berkeley Reply with quote

Windy and a nice swell.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
the full EVA deck on my Tiga251 .

Best thing about the Tiga wave 257 was it's flex and Jenna de Rosnay. They could handle anything...
Razz
Good times.

jenna-tiga-jpg.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.14 KB
 Viewed:  12489 Time(s)

jenna-tiga-jpg.jpg

Last edited by TheItalianJobber on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: TI Aug 22 Reply with quote

Another TI day, powered up on 4.3 for about 3 hours. Very nice steady wind but boy ... the place can be choppy! It makes Coyote look smooth (sort of). Will try my RRD 75 next time.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna hot.
My Tiga 251 is a 14 lbs., carbon sandwich, styro core version, not the soft poly like my 257 Wave Tiga. It's labelled at 73 liters, but in reality, is around 80 liters. Much too flat a rocker for high winds, much too small for low winds, it needs filled in 19-26mph winds, something lots of other boards like.
veterduet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Marina Bay - Saturday Reply with quote

5.2 outside with a fairly rapid fade at around 4 PM. Still enough to get back without a struggle. Looking back at the sensors (both Pt. Isabel and Portrero) there isn't even a clue that there was sailable wind. Hopefully people will continue paying attention to the sensors - the parking lot is full enough as it is! Smile
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Rescue on Saturday Aug 24 Reply with quote

More TI, wanted to try out my 75L + 4.3 but changed my mind when I got to the water and saw the conditions. Went back to the VW and grabbed the 85L. Wise choice because the wind was plenty but occasionally quite weak.

The bad happened after about 1 hour of sailing: the rig suddenly detached from the base and ... BIG CRASH Shocked Still holding on the boom I see the board happily drifting downwind. Decided to ditch the rig and go for the board, and after what felt like a surprisingly long swim I grabbed it.

At that point Jon and Lisa has stopped to see what was going on (THANK YOU!), they spotted the rig still floating in the water and we all reached it. Put the rig and board together and ... off I was for 2 more hours of sailing.

Obviously my fault: when I changed board I must have not fully engaged the safety lock and ... now I have a nice little hole to the side of the mast track. Fixed it today and decided to leave it rough and unpainted to serve as a reminder Embarassed
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley undecided until 5, then got steady 16-25 for quite a while, as we drove off, came back, drove off again.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: weekend sailing Reply with quote

Sailed 4.7/80L at Coyote this Sat. Used the Realwind board because it eats up W/SW flood chop like its not there. Today (Sunday), same 4.7 and the big board (110L RRD Firemove) at Palo Alto. Cranked only duck jibes..,some semi-planing after the sail flip. Though I made all my ducks I can only dream of pulling a Robbie Naish type, fully planing and fully powered duck J. May head to TI on Monday. Good to be retired and healthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 17 of 329

Jump to: