myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 JP Single Thruster Pro 92l

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: 2013 JP Single Thruster Pro 92l Reply with quote

Hi All,
I see an awful lot of these boards for sale used from Maui. I wonder if anyone has real world feedback of using them in the waves?
They are one of the lightest boards out there for their size will they hold up?
Thrusters seem to be the wave board of the future.
Let me know what you think.

5264.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  638.9 KB
 Viewed:  14514 Time(s)

5264.jpg

JamesHardy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 99 Wave Thruster in the Pro edition and its a great board. I sail in it only in the surf and so far so good I'm not expecting any trouble. I have a 2011 FSW 112 and two 2012 quads 92 & 74 all pro editions all great boards that have not had a bit of trouble with. So outside of a one off manufacturing defect the layup is sound. I would worry a little about a ex-rental fleet board in that size. Maui has good wind most of the time so a 92 was most likely ridden by big guys 190+ most of the time and that's were the durability gets tested.

JP puts to big of fins on their board in my opinion, on my 99 I run MFC custom red's 18 & 12's a great setup.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've purchased half a dozen used wave boards from NP Maui over the years and all have been sound. the cosmetics/foot straps vary but i don't think they'll sell out a bad board. good way to try some new shapes without breaking the bank. learned first hand: if the board comes with a nose rail protector, leave it alone. it turns out to weigh nothing and comes off only with much effort.
damel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 82L JP Single Thruster and love it for sailing in SF bay and the coast. You can ride it single fin for jumping or Thruster for more grip. Getting the best thruster setup is harder than you would think and getting 3 fins is expensive. If you are looking for an all around 90L board I would consider the Freestyle Wave unless you sail waves 75% of the time or more. The Freestyle Wave just has a bigger range, planes earlier and handles chop way better.

James is spot on about the fins.

Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I was wondering about the fins as with any Quad or Tri dialing in the fin size is critical for max performance. Good info.
I just demoed a Goya Quad 92l and it was just too big. I think its got about
3-5 liters extra for early planing. Also the rails were really chunky to pack in all that volume.
How are the rails on the JP more surf style I hope?
Yeah I am a dedicated wave sailor with 95% of my sailing at the coast.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the 2011 single thruster 93 before buying a 2011 LS Quad 95. I sailed it with the standard fin set up in 4.2 overpowered cross onshore conditions with head high beach break waves, perfectly powered 5.3 cross shore with shoulder high beach break waves and perfectly powered 4.7 cross off logo high waves at a point break. With the standard fin set up the single thruster sailed more like a FSW, not a wave board. I found the bottom turn very one dimensional, it could only do an overpowered cross onshore wave type bottom turn well, it locked up very easily, it didn't like initiating the bottom turn with too much speed and the bottom turn could not be varied mid turn. Because I never figured out how to bottom turn it I struggled to get good cut backs or aerials. Smaller fins might have given me a better impression, but at the time I gave it a big thumbs down. In comparison the LS Quad 95 was very plug and play. I weighed about 200 lbs back then.

An intermediate friend of mine also sailed the same board on flat water and loved it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: