myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veterduet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Marina Bay Reply with quote

andydavis wrote:
veterduet wrote:
Nice day. Rigged a 6.0 but outside even a 5.2 would have worked...

when were you out? I was at Shimada Park from 3 to 4...rigged, put my wetsuit on, took my wetsuit off, looked again with a binocular, put my wetsuit on, looked again, decided I couldn't get out, took my wetsuit off... Mad

Done by 3:15. Had to save a little for twilight golf - a "sport" I thought I would never indulge in till I got older. I guess I'm there. All that walking is harder on my legs than a 2 hour windsurf session - might have to reconsider.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sat. Aug. 17 Reply with quote

With the iW station at Bodega still broken I took a chance by looking at other readings and was rewarded: perfectly powered to o/p on 5.7. One other sailor out on I believe a 6.3, several kiters.

Eel grass is a plague, but on one reach I had enough wind close-in to get on a plane before I got to the weed patch and was able to zoom right through it.. Not so lucky the rest of the time.

Board went unstable at one point, found gelatinous green mass stuck between the two fins.

Bat rays were very active near the launch earlier while it was shallow.

This past Wednesday I had gone out to see if a replacement batten agreed with the 5.3. The batten did fine, but the wind fell rapidly once I got onto the water. That's about the time that the iW station quit. One other sailor there, had packed up by the time I arrived.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bodega, Sat. Aug. 17 Reply with quote

Another TI day, my fifth ever (am I a veteran yet?), very powered up with my 5.0.

I think I need to start to rig smaller and ignore the "need to rig bigger" suggestions about sailing TI. Twisted Evil The Hot Sails Maui Firelight is quite amazing when over powered, you can zig-zag happily and de-power it leisurely on the lip (oh well ... what passes as a lip on the swell) ... but really ... I could have been all day on my 4.3 Shocked
Quite a lot of sailors out ... including a visit from 4 formula guys probably coming from Berkeley. Very cool, it still really impresses me how a Formula/Big slalom board (with the right pilot!) can just cruise the Bay like a sailboat.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: rigging too big at TI Reply with quote

i haven't sailed there in a couple years but that was also always my problem.

the last time there I rigged what everyone else was rigging and had the best time ever.

it's very hard to judge the wind speed from the rigging area.
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: ti Reply with quote

thanks to deven, scott, mattias, pedro, and the other ti sailors who helped me replace a snapped universal today about 1/4 way to angel. was awesome! just like when you pull in the pit off the race track. bunch of people just kind of swarmed in and got it all fixed up in no time. great feeling to be sailing with a group of people like this!!
mch13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Great to know we are watching out for each other and do come through at crunch time.

Buzzword, what type of universal and where did it break?

Glad you are OK.
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mch13 wrote:
Buzzword, what type of universal and where did it break?

rubber (hourglass style) with europin. part of the actual metal pin snapped between the pin and the rubber joint so the backup safety webbing was useless (rubber joint did not break). since the break happened behind rubber/plastic housing there doesn't seem to be an easy way to inspect for this prior to sailing, though i do inspect the rubber joint often. i'm 165 lbs, and have one season of hard use on it. plan to keep sailing the same model though (still much better success rate than tendons for me, and can't beat the convenience of euro-pin).

europinbreak.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  463.53 KB
 Viewed:  11840 Time(s)

europinbreak.jpg

ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Weeds are a problem at San Luis now at 221.5 Reply with quote

Weeds are a problem at San Luis now at 221.5
Even with a weed fin.

There are some pretty thick patches and they are the kind
that can slow you down if you are not powered. The wind did not
seem as good as the graph indicated was on 5.3 .
SuzieQ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. You guys are out there sailing in windy SF bay on single bolt bases?
The double bolt base gives extra protection. Glad you had the back up posse.
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what he is showing us is the single bolt that goes through the hourglass. To my knowledge there is no double bolt that goes through the hourglass. This is why the webbing stayed with the base and was useless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 16 of 329

Jump to: