myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Madd 135 fin advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuelb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Madd 135 fin advice Reply with quote

I recently got for free a Madd 135 (2005) that only came with the stock weed fins 29cm set. This is the biggest board I have ever had since I learned how to sail short boards 20 something years ago. I have read good things about the board, but to be honest the board feels awkward to me. The board seems, at some point, to reach a max speed no matter how favorable the conditions are, and the jibes are wide and flat compare to my my 117lt or my 95lt, which make sense anyway. Also, for bump and jump it feels very heave in the air.
I will mostly use the board for 22knots or less conditions, with a 6.3 Ezzy wave, or a 7.5 Up. Mostly on flat water or small waves (2-4ft.).
Any recommendation for just one set of twin fins?
Windnc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: MADD 135 Fins Reply with quote

I also have a 2005 MADD 135 but use it almost exclusively for light wind ocean/wave sailing. Set up with a set of 8.75 True Ames Surf Grass fins (22cm) it works well for me in side off 10-18K winds. Often there is not quite enough wind to plane but the volume and stability of the board, coupled with the power of my 7.5 Aerotech Phantom sail, allow me to schlog out over the surf, cruise around or stall, wait for a set and then ride the waves in. Using these small more waveboard like fins, it surfs and turns pretty well.

For side-on winds I switch to a set of 9.5" (24cm) TA Surf Grass fins still using the 7.5 sail. In 14-20+ knots the board planes up easily and I find it a lot of fun for ocean sailing and backside riding too.

Overall for me when set up with a set of wave fins it is a really fun board out in the waves and swells.

I use the Surfgrass fins because back when I bought the board I used to ride it sometimes on the sound side at Hatteras and there are lots of weeds there. If I were to buy fins for it now I think I would get the Maui Fin Company San Carlos Weed Waves in 23cm and use those fins for both side-off and side-on. If weeds are not an issue then other good wave fins should work too.

For flat water sailing I think I would go with a set of Maui Fin Company Liquid Pros in 28cm maybe 30 cm but I still have the stock 29cm pointer fins that came with my MADD and they work pretty well for flat water venues.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Madd 135 twinwser I have 4 sets of weed fins I use, 11.5", 10.5" 26 cm(10.2") and 24 (9.4") cm. I use the 11.5 fins when the wind is 15 mph and with my 6.6 hucker can pump up on plane with the 8.5's, and use the 10.5 in 17-20 mph winds. I sail alot in the shallow waters of Hatteras and really enjoy the twinser boards. I have a RRD 115 twinser also.
If I had to choose one set of fins I quess it would be 10.5", but the 11.5" pump better.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI today it was west 12-30 at the local lake. Used my 6.6 Hucker with normal downhaul and lots of outhaul, used both of my twinser's: the 135 with the 11.5 and the 115 with the 10.5 fin. Survived quite well but tomorrow I think I'll rig the 6.2 also, that would have been sweet when the wind was 25-30.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those boards were really nice. they did have their mast tracks set pretty far forward though. with large weed fins, the center of effort is shifted back. that whets the board lots with the base set too far forward.

i would only use weed fins if it was absolutely necessary. the comfort and ease of early planing is offset by a low top end speed, crappy upwind angles, and lousy glide through turns.

the 165 was very good, but required a very aggressive base back placement. lots of testers all thought the board was pasted to the water too much. made their perceptions of that board feel like a stodgy log. when they moved the base back, it came alive for them.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Manuelb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for tons of good info. Now time to take a decision. I'm leaning toward getting 24cm wave fins.
I will also try it with the mast base back, like jingerbristen suggested.
vikingsail

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be afraid to use 2 different sizes. The 24 in one slot and the 29 in the other. Allows for 3 choices with 2 sets of fins.
Manuelb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsail wrote:
Don't be afraid to use 2 different sizes. The 24 in one slot and the 29 in the other. Allows for 3 choices with 2 sets of fins.

Vikingsail, I never thought about that, but I guess it's possible. Have you ever tried it? I have a 23cm from another board. What can I expect from this combination (23cm regular wave fin and a 29cm weed fin)?
Manuelb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with one 23 and one 29, and wow! what a difference. The jibes were smoother and I have more control jumping. I can't wait to have the other 23. I just going to get one similar to the one I already have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: