myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Light Sails: North Sails?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinceSF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOdern Naish sails (3-4 years old) are among the lightest. Mauisails, Hot sails maui, naish, Severne are the few brands (that I know of) that have taken the risk to built sail with lighter material. North, gaastra and neil pryde, the old top brands from the heydays, are on the opposite heavier since none of them of pursued any special material research.
so depending on the year of the sail you intend on buying, I would at those brands.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Follow Up Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:
So now, can anyone recommend a 8 or 8.5 sqm ultralight freeride sail ?

Hot Sails Maui is coming out with a new Speed oriented 6 battens sail that is light http://blog.hotsailsmaui.com/2013/07/26/gpx-colors-and-specifications-released/ Sub 5Kg for a 8.0. The weight is a bit less than the Avanti poweride, although Avanti is coming out with a membrane version that might be lighter yet http://www.avantisails.com/sails/poweride-me

However if you want the ultimate light sail look at Demon Sails (the sister company of 5-Oceans that makes the lightest non-production wave sails) https://www.facebook.com/pages/Demon-Design-Sails/246441455462108 Their 8.2 6 battens 4 cams is 3.9 Kg! They are a small loft that does custom, so you can probably order a no-cam if you want.

I am considering their new 5 batten 2 cams speed that should be well below 4Kg, or maybe ask Hot Sails to build a prototype.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your boom is heavy, get a lighter one. Carbon booms are much, much lighter than aluminum, perform better, and (IMOE - in my opinion and experience) last longer. carbon booms and alum. booms, btw, should be taken apart and rinsed out after each sail. carbon booms get mineral deposits that increase the weight of the boom over time and decrease its life span.

I believe you can save a lot more weight in a boom than you can in a sail, but others may think otherwise.

Btw, Chinook Pro 1 carbon booms are lighter and work better than Maui Sails carbon boom, if you decide to get a new boom. I know that from first hand experience with both booms.

thanks to whoever posted the Avanti Poweride ME sail link. I have been interested in Avanti sails from the get go. Was thinking of a Condor (3 cam membrane sail), but recently I've been thinking about going totally camless. the Poweride ME 7.4 looks like it could be the ticket. what's weird is, tho, their specs say 465 luff, 460 mast, but 17 extension? maybe they just made a mistake.

have a good day, hope the wind comes up for you wherever you are.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
Carbon booms are much, much lighter than aluminum, perform better, and (IMOE - in my opinion and experience) last longer. carbon booms and alum. booms, btw, should be taken apart and rinsed out after each sail.

Um, hmmm ... and we should never eat pastry, pasta, ice cream, or pizza.

Carbons are significantly lighter only big sizes. Some brands are heavier in small sizes.
inf2003

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know for a fact that that my mast is quite light and that my boom is quite heavy (I could compare it with my 5 other booms).

Hey I don't mean to rain on the parade but aren't you the same guy who was adding 10 lbs of medieval shackles, pulleys and chain fall hardware to the end of his boom so you could save 3 seconds rigging??

Now you want to save weight on the rig??? HMMMM
yvanboniec

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Hi ! Reply with quote

No, you are confused. This is my other rig/sail/boom.

I am looking at the Demon Sails.

I might add a layer of hydrophobic coating which would eliminate the sucktion effect of the water on the sail (which 'glue' the sail to the water) when I uphaul.

Then I will be able to uphaul in the blink of an eye.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi ! Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:

I might add a layer of hydrophobic coating which would eliminate the sucktion effect of the water on the sail (which 'glue' the sail to the water) when I uphaul.

Then I will be able to uphaul in the blink of an eye.

You will be surprised by how much a lighter sail helps when maneuvering. I have a Hot Sails Firelight 6.0 that feels way easier to handle than my old Fire or SuperFreak 5.3. It is an amazingly light 3.2 Kg sail and you really feel the difference.

A 5 battens twin cam weighting about the same could indeed revolutionize freerace/freeride light wind sailing.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi ! Reply with quote

yvanboniec wrote:

I encourage you to contact the manufacturer of the sail to ask about the effects of putting coatings on their sails. I wouldn't be surprised if doing that voids your warranty.

KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi ! Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
yvanboniec wrote:

I encourage you to contact the manufacturer of the sail to ask about the effects of putting coatings on their sails. I wouldn't be surprised if doing that voids your warranty.

+1!

yvanboniec

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Not an issue Reply with quote

This is a non-issue.

I must have sailed 60 times this year. After 30 sessions with a specific gear, I want a new one.

I am always looking for a good excuse, wether it is hydrophobic coating that leads to stains or major tear when I carry my sail to sea, to buy a new one.

I will try the hydrophobic coating with the Naish evolution I bought second hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: