myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Robotic power steering assist for your windsurfer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A button for wind would be nice...

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
"Robotic power assist" in windsurfing would be more like push button controls on the booms for remote reefing (changing the size) and tuning your sail while sailing.

Or maybe an electromechanical outhaul (or downhaul) tweaker, with a feedback loop to encourage consistent power.

A fin AOA adjuster to prevent spinout at the pointing limit.

In-hull nitrous oxide bottle and thrusters for a power boost when we hear someone coming up behind us or need a speed boost for an oncoming ramp.

Piezoelectric mylar to dynamically alter sail tension.

An airboat fan.

Dynamic rocker line adjustment sensitive to lateral g forces and/or board roll angle.
winfreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - keep em' coming...

(Note that suggestions/guesses will not be outright confirmed if we are working/thinking on that, although we reserve the right to give hints)
( Ideas also essentially become "publicly known" because they are now in "print" and searchable).
(Also, if you do happen to be one of our lucky beta testers, PLEASE do not post unless it's deliberate misdirection!) Cool
carl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everybody would want a board that behaves like a small narrow 70 liter board when you are planing, and when you're not planing it turns into a floaty wide 120 liter board.

As for steering, the modern performance WS board is very easy to turn already. Stability and flotation are the biggest problems when the wind drops and you have to get back to shore in displacement mode.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should add a servo-controlled air pump to my board which is fully delammed on the bottom. Hit a lull, pump cuts in, and even a modest 1 PSI would add >500 pounds of flotation. Its exhaust would be out the tail to add thrust to save or boost rig-pumping effort. It would be powered, of course, by Powerfilm mylar in the sail.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A radar controlled deck mounted air rifle to silently shoot down kites Very Happy
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Robotic power steering assist for your windsurfer Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:

Thanks for your input. We have technology that could be applied to many sports that involve planing boards on water but are looking toward windsurfing first as it appears to be the most complicated to learn, difficult to master, and that has room for growth (in multiple ways) and therefore would benefit most.

To be honest I am not so sure if this is a real company or a little (inoffensive) joke at the expense of the forum, but here are my two cents:

Anything that makes learning easier would be welcome. New equipment, with its hugely stable platforms, is great for learning (I recently taught a kid who was jibing, in displacement, on the second day) but anything that would make the transition displacement to planing easier would help: non twitchy good ... stability good ... something fast and non-sensitive to water condition and yes, maybe boring good ...

For more advanced windsurfers I don't think stability or directional control are issues (robotic power steering?). What we need are boards that have even more range than we have now. We have gone a long way in the past 10 years but some effective shape changing device that brings a board from, say, 100L to the equivalent of 80L, without much if any weight penalty, would be a game changer.

Ditto for the sails: new sails have outstanding range, but bring in something that can change size by even 1 square meter and you would change the sport. It was tried in the past (by Multi-sails) and it needs to be better than that solution (that was a zipper at the bottom of the sails).

Last edited by dvCali on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
lucashurt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be neat to apply the "segway" concept to a hydrofoil windsurf board. Those sure look like they take practice to control.

Also think of a foiling Moth with a gyro that helps you balance. Should be a lot easier to learn.
bkiggins

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

If I were Sir Richard Branson.

You'd be kiting... bwahahahahaha!
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of room for small devices that would help, don't have to weigh much, and could cost less than a new NP racing sail. Here is one idea:

Kinect-like camera system and software for learning to use the harness, jibing and tricks, with integrated electric shock system on the boom. Could send friendly little electric shock reminders when your using your hands too much or bending the elbows when going straight, or bend the front elbow and/or hang back to much going into a jibe. Lots of other options for the jibe can be thought of - a "flip now" shock might get rid of late flipping for good.

For learning to loop, point the camera forward, and deliver electric shocks of increasing power for every loopable wave that was not used for a try. Maybe if it hurts more not to try than to try, I'd finally try. I heard that one of the Pritchards has used a similar strategy in loop lessons ("I'll hit you if you don't try").
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: