myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sail care question & newbie questions - Pictures inside
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about Kevin's comment to be sure to "row" (roll?) up the sail as tight as possible. I do have sails which came with an elastic cord at the foot with a dedicated disc to hold the cord which keeps the sails rolled up tighter than needed to get them in the bag. But, I haven't heard before of any benefit to rolling up a sail tighter than what is needed to get it in the sail bag. Is there a benefit? I always assumed looser is actually better.

In the picture that was provided it appears there is a second sail on the right which is not rolled up and seems to have the material loosely bent in strange ways....that looks like a mistake to me...but maybe that is just the sail bag.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I'm curious about Kevin's comment to be sure to "row" (roll?) up the sail as tight as possible. I do have sails which came with an elastic cord at the foot with a dedicated disc to hold the cord which keeps the sails rolled up tighter than needed to get them in the bag. But, I haven't heard before of any benefit to rolling up a sail tighter than what is needed to get it in the sail bag. Is there a benefit? I always assumed looser is actually better.

In the picture that was provided it appears there is a second sail on the right which is not rolled up and seems to have the material loosely bent in strange ways....that looks like a mistake to me...but maybe that is just the sail bag.

Roll* my bad! For me, rolling it tight helps prevent crinkles when I store them in my car. The looser the sail is the easier it is to get crinkles from my experience.

-Kevin

ghost1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the replies - very helpful this forum is amazing. I will rig it up in the next few days and post some pictures. I am using Neil Pryde Matrix 35 430 RDM mast.

DelCarpenter wrote:

That is my old sail that has a giant hole in it. I think the picture makes it look worse than it is, but I don't know what to do with that sail, maybe toss it out or put it up on kijiji for free.
rangerider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your sail is baggy around the boom cutout and rotates with difficulty then it sounds to me like you need more downhaul. I have a sail that is like this no matter how much downhaul I use regardless of the mast (I've tried 3) it's a disaster to sail - my point is that you shouldn't assume it is supposed to rig that way, the luff sleeve should be fairly tight around the front of the mast. Maybe you could rig it at the shop where you bought it and have them look at it just to make sure the sail and mast are working together properly, if so then you will get the most out of your new gear, if not they will be able to make it right.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit off topic, but I would recommend buying a couple mast bags for your masts. As I see it, it's important to protect your masts from casual damage that can happen while loading and unloading. Moreover, if one of your mast sections standing on end in the garage falls over onto the concrete, it could introduce hidden damage that might later cause it to fail on the water.
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sail care question & newbie questions - Pictures inside Reply with quote

ghost1 wrote:

4 - For sailcare, I typically roll it up when leaving my launch on the grass. Then I take it into my garage at home and loosen it and let it dry standing up. Then I roll it up tight once dry. Is this ok? I attached a picture of how I typically leave it out to dry.

Jon, RE standing the sail up, even though it might seem like the batten pockets will drain better, I don't think it's a good idea to stand the sail up on the clew side. That tends to wrinkle monofilm. I've heard at least two of the sail designers discourage this.
Brian
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ghost1, did you look in the pockets of the sail bag to see if there was a rigging guide in one of the pockets? If I were paying big $$$ for a sail, I would want the sail designer to give me rigging instructions for my year and model sail (that's what a rigging guide is), not a forum. I mean, look at the variety of tuning tips you're getting. Which ones are you going to choose, and why?

The Pryde tuning video I looked at was disappointing. They didn't have your year or model, so I picked one. Very vague. Didn't show what the leach should look like. Outhaul ranged from +/- 2 cm to +/- 7 cm.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when standing sail up, always stand the sail on the luff end. The battens will support the weight of the sail. Standing the sail on the leech can damage the sail as stated above.

Several sail manufacturers recommend this, including Ezzy. Who, by the way, do not use monofilm so you don't have the problem of crinkling monofilm, and who provide great on sail rigging guides, as well as printed and video rigging instructions that should be the industry standard. plus, the sails work really great and last a long time. and no, the new ones aren't heavy. And, yes, I know this paragraph is off topic but I couldn't help myself.

just my .005 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: