myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Name On Your Board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radross

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Name On Your Board? Reply with quote

Sailing TI yesterday on some smooth swell near the island in 4.5 conditions. Noticed one of the Cat ferries stopped below Blunt Pt. between buoy 6 and 4. Unusual, decided to tack out there to see what was happening. Got closer and noticed the ferry was shadowing Christian, a competent sailor, who was going through a cycle of moving slowly, getting dumped and then water starting.

Turns out Christian had come across a RRD 103L FSW board floating downwind w/no rig. He was attempting to tow in the board. WTF? Was there a sailor swimming in the middle of the Bay? Did I know who's board?

Christian had haled the Ferry, which called the CG. Eventually, the CG showed up and told us to clear out and let them pick-up the board. Apparently, the owner/sailor had already been picked up and was on-board the CG cutter.

All turned out well. Might have helped if the board had a name written on it, since we did not recognize it as part of the usual TI fleet and we were concerned about a person in the water a long way from land. Something to consider.

Big shout out to the ferry captain for stopping and waiting for the CG to come on scene, the CG and to Christian for his efforts and fulfilling the mariner's duty to act on any concerns for a potential missing sailor.

Ross
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Name On Your Board? Reply with quote

radross wrote:
Sailing TI yesterday on some smooth swell near the island in 4.5 conditions. Noticed one of the Cat ferries stopped below Blunt Pt. between buoy 6 and 4. Unusual, decided to tack out there to see what was happening. Got closer and noticed the ferry was shadowing Christian, a competent sailor, who was going through a cycle of moving slowly, getting dumped and then water starting.

Turns out Christian had come across a RRD 103L FSW board floating downwind w/no rig. He was attempting to tow in the board. WTF? Was there a sailor swimming in the middle of the Bay? Did I know who's board?

Christian had haled the Ferry, which called the CG. Eventually, the CG showed up and told us to clear out and let them pick-up the board. Apparently, the owner/sailor had already been picked up and was on-board the CG cutter.

All turned out well. Might have helped if the board had a name written on it, since we did not recognize it as part of the usual TI fleet and we were concerned about a person in the water a long way from land. Something to consider.

Big shout out to the ferry captain for stopping and waiting for the CG to come on scene, the CG and to Christian for his efforts and fulfilling the mariner's duty to act on any concerns for a potential missing sailor.

Ross

Good on that ferry captain!

Regarding names on boards, I just started spray painting nick names on my boards...should consider spraying my name too but most of the guys at my home spot know each other and their gear but if I were to sail up at the bay than I would definitely put my name on all my gear for ID purpose. Phone number too!

Tabou Rocket - "Sunday Stroll"
HiFly Free - "Red Devil"
AHD SL1- "Jaeger"

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
tomg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just find a clear spot on the deck and use a thick Sharpie marking pen. Many kite and WS boards have been recovered this way. (yes it can happen to you!)

I was out there with Christian and was very impressed with the ferry boat crew: they hung around for the better part of an hour looking for the sailor. &totally blew their schedule.

Tomg
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
just find a clear spot on the deck and use a thick Sharpie marking pen. Many kite and WS boards have been recovered this way. (yes it can happen to you!)

I was out there with Christian and was very impressed with the ferry boat crew: they hung around for the better part of an hour looking for the sailor. &totally blew their schedule.

Tomg

Get these crew members a beer! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: