myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Installing a chicken strap on a starboard formula board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raffar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Installing a chicken strap on a starboard formula board Reply with quote

Hi all,

I got caught in the middle of the lake with winds on the 30+ with my starboard 158 and on an 8.5 Maui race sail.
Going upwind was Ok, but down wind it felt a way off control and I was afraid to get catapulted and slam the board hard and braking it. Ended up, riding on my butt downwind.

I figured I need to install the chicken strap on the board.
I wonder what's the best strap and screws should I use?

RAF
MrFish

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the 158 was all set up for a chicken strap, just need a strap and standard screws, no?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

counter intuitive, using an adjustable out haul fully released will allow for a more stable pull from the sail when taking your FW stuff way off the wind. yes, the chicken strap helps, but a moderately stiff fin and an adjustment to the outhaul is better to help than the strap.

quite often, we get carried away with one aspect or another concerning our gear. really soft fins help lots in the very lightest of conditions, but that comes at a high price in your scenario you just experienced. if one is a very fit and accomplished pro, the soft fin is mitigated by strength guided by experience, but if one is a weekend warrior, the difference in performance is wasted.

so an additional strap will help, but a stiffer fin, and a full utilized adj. out haul may be the ultimate solution.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the same kind of footstrap and same size screws for the chicken strap that you do for the main footstraps. Just don't use too-long screws or you might drill past the hole and let water get in the board.

Also, depending on the insert positions, you can sometimes mount one end of the chicken strap through one of the fin bolts instead of screwing it into the board.

What jingebritsen sail about loosening the adjustable outhaul when sailing downwind is counterintuitive but totally true. Also, the deeper downwind you go, the lighter the wind feels. So ironically, the two directions you can safely go on a formula board when you're overpowered are deep downwind and high upwind. Just not anything in between!

PS- A trick for when you're REALLY overpowered is to put your foot all the way across the board into the opposite side back strap. It's like the ultimate chicken strap.

raffar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the tips, totally worked letting out the out haul when doing a downwind run today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: