myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
No easy answers we're all farked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What "scouring" of the budget, particularly the defense budget has your Virginia delegation done? The $700 billion defense budget?

Just a clue, from only August 6, 2013 DOD press release:

Quote:
ASM Research Inc., Fairfax, Va., was awarded a $20,168,768 modification (P00002) to a previously awarded firm-fixed-price, option-filled contract (W91WAW-12-D-0010) for the operation and maintenance of the Army Training Requirements and Resources System. The cumulative total face value of this contract is $39,778,370.

SSB Inc., Fairfax, Va., was awarded a cost-plus-fixed-fee, option-filled contract with a maximum value of $8,192,670 for technical support services in the areas of database and web development and maintenance for command and control applications. Performance location and funding will be determined with each order. The bid was solicited through the Internet, with two bids received. The Army Contracting Command, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., is the contracting activity (W91CRB-13-D-0014).

MHM Innovations, Fairfax, Va., was awarded a firm-fixed-price, option-filled contract with maximum value of $8,187,447 for systems engineering and technical assistance support services. Performance location and funding will be determined with each order. Six bids were solicited, with one bid received. The Army Intelligence and Security Command, Fort Belvoir, Va., is the contracting activity (W911W4-13-F-0012).

Management Consulting Inc., Virginia Beach, Va., is being awarded a $7,534,848 indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity, firm-fixed-price contract to obtain materials, supplies, equipment, specialty equipment and integrated logistical services for Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) Fleet Logistics Center (FLC), Norfolk, Supply Management Division Midwest, Crane Ind., in support of the Naval Facilities Midwest, Public Works Department, Supply Management, Crane, Ind. This contract contains four option years, which if exercised, would bring the contract value to $42,500,839. Work will be performed in NAVSUP FLC Norfolk, Midwest, Crane, Ind., and is expected to be completed by Aug 8, 2014. If all options are exercised, work will continue through Aug 9, 2018. Fiscal 2013 Navy working capital funds in the amount of $50,000 will be obligated at the time of award, all of which will expire at the end of this current fiscal year. This contract was competitively procured under full and open competition via the Navy Electronic Commerce Online and Federal Business Opportunities websites, with four offers received in response to this solicitation. The NAVSUP FLC, Norfolk, Va., is the contracting activity (N00189-13-D-0038).

for 2011, Virginia firms snarfed up nearly $55 billion in defense pork:

Quote:
For example, companies in Virginia earned $54.8 billion in government contracts in 2011, the nationwide report shows. A 9 percent budget cut would reduce contract spending in the state by nearly $5 billion, and an 18 percent budget cut would reduce spending by close to $10 billion, the report shows.

The Wizard tries to distract those concerned about government waste with a series of fake scandals. Like the light show in the L. Frank Baum book. Creative fiction or science fiction?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
In 2009, the FCC began to police this abuse, but it's apparently still out of control........Don't you want the right controls and the right regulations in place to stop these fly-by-night operators?

Do you want government regulations to control this?

The control structure and regulations are already in place administered by the FCC. President Obama appointed all the current Commissioners of the FCC. You concede the FCC is not doing it's job. Your solution.........add more regulation that will not be properly enforced. Brilliant.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers, still carrying a bit of leftover anxiety from our earlier posts on that other thread?
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

The control structure and regulations are already in place administered by the FCC. President Obama appointed all the current Commissioners of the FCC. You concede the FCC is not doing it's job. Your solution.........add more regulation that will not be properly enforced. Brilliant.

The FCC is doing its job by find and overcoming the abuse. It needs to do more.

And we clearly need stronger enforcement of regulations. Do you like that? Or should we RELAX the government regulations that attempt to control the cheaters, thieves, and abusers? Do you think the government will spend a dollar to save a dime?

But what's abundantly obvious--and will no doubt continue to be abundantly obvious--is that whatever anybody does, you'll find some way to distort it into your brand of Obamahate. Brilliant.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier I said the following:

"That said, I have to say that pueno tends to over do it at times. In the end though, maybe pueno would give isobars a break if he backed off and mellowed out a bit."

It seems that there is some misunderstanding about what I was trying to say. So, to clarify my statements in the last sentence, I'll offer a revised one.

In the end though, maybe pueno would give isobars a break if isobars backed off and mellowed out a bit.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno said:
Quote:
The FCC is doing its job by find and overcoming the abuse. It needs to do more.

And we clearly need stronger enforcement of regulations. Do you like that? Or should we RELAX the government regulations that attempt to control the cheaters, thieves, and abusers? Do you think the government will spend a dollar to save a dime?

But what's abundantly obvious--and will no doubt continue to be abundantly obvious--is that whatever anybody does, you'll find some way to distort it into your brand of Obamahate. Brilliant.

You bring up the Obamahate thing 10X more often than we lay blame on him. When programs go array, who is responsible for initiating resolutions. If the FCC manages the lifeline phone program and the leadership is mostly Obama appointees, where does the responsibility fall? Since there seems to be some effort to fix the problem, Obama may have been the one to give the directive, who knows? Since there hasn't been a peep for a year and a half, one wonders if anything is still happening to rein in the abuse.

My issue with government, regardless of who is President, is that great ideas don't seem to be followed by good management practices or regulations, so that they can function effectively and efficiently. To often, there is little accountability and too much abuse, or failure to achieve the stated goals with lots of wasted tax dollars. This isn't necessarily a party issue, it's government too large to manage its responsibilities. This is where conservatives feel that smaller is better than bigger. More self reliance and less dependence, more accountability, etc., etc.

It seems that this issue is at the root of most of the problems we discuss on this forum.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno, The mistake you and I have both made is in assuming this clown has any interest whatsoever in a rational discussion. He doesn't. It is simply not worth reading or responding to his posts despite the fact that our friend in Berkeley claims they are fact filled. The only recourse is to completely ignore him in the (probably vain) hope that he will go away and attach himself to another group with which he has nothing in common.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900,

I guess one could argue for a smaller less costly military, but would that leave us with a stronger and safer nation? Going down a similar path, would less regulations and enforcement of laws yield better outcomes? Of course, with respect to the FCC phone program, I think that conservatives are really arguing for eliminating the program offering poor folks telephone access.

Taking your point of more reliance and less dependence, conservatives could also argue for no food stamps or no Medicare for seniors. I could go on and on, but I think that you would agree that going back to times in history where programs like these didn't exist wouldn't make us a stronger more vibrant nation.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Earlier I said the following:

"That said, I have to say that pueno tends to over do it at times. In the end though, maybe pueno would give isobars a break if he backed off and mellowed out a bit."

It seems that there is some misunderstanding about what I was trying to say. So, to clarify my statements in the last sentence, I'll offer a revised one.

In the end though, maybe pueno would give isobars a break if isobars backed off and mellowed out a bit.

I think we can all read for ourselves what you originally posted. Perhaps you could add to your revised statement - "...mellowed out a bit and if not you'll jump on the bandwagon. "
No anxiety here, but it is interesting to note your consistently ugly approach.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers, why don't I believe you? You can always tell when someone carries a grudge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 42 of 45

Jump to: